Focal Utopia General Discussion
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #8,476 of 20,796
as for keeping the thread focus on the utopia, I'm inclined to say all that can be said about the utopia has been said. Sure, someone might ask about how it pairs with various red or white wines, or how much under or over priced it is, but really, I haven't heard anything new in over a thousand postings (possibly more). I only stick around on the off chance of something new, but I think I'm done and I'm gonna unsubscribe.

If anything interesting comes up that's worthy of an update to the first post, please let me know in a PM.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #8,478 of 20,796
as for keeping the thread focus on the utopia, I'm inclined to say all that can be said about the utopia has been said. Sure, someone might ask about how it pairs with various red or white wines, or how much under or over priced it is, but really, I haven't heard anything new in over a thousand postings (possibly more). I only stick around on the off chance of something new, but I think I'm done and I'm gonna unsubscribe.

If anything interesting comes up that's worthy of an update to the first post, please let me know in a PM.
Take care. I understand what you are saying.

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #8,479 of 20,796
Do we really need this post repeated every time someone may not be purchasing from an authorized dealer (or a "Premier dealer")? Hasn't it been posted enough so that any reasonable person will find the discussion of warranty without it being repeated almost daily?

Anyone feeling the need to repeat the warranty situation with a new user could do it via PM to keep this thread focused the Utopia as a headphone and reduce the discussions of Focal business decisions that aren't likely to change.

I’m not saying a word about warranty. I’m saying there are sellers making claims that are false and that you should be cautious. How you spend your money is your business. The risks you take with your money is your business. Knowing there are dishonest sellers out there is a positive that can help prevent a tradgedy or significant disappointment.

We know of a few deals that are seriously ugly at the moment and the seller has gone silent with what appears to be zero intention of making the sale good. Audiogon is suggesting the buyers take a 25% hit on their purchase that are bogus in the first place.

Hate me I don’t care. It’s not a warranty issue it’s an honesty issue.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 1, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #8,480 of 20,796
I’m not saying a word about warranty. I’m saying there are sellers making claims that are false and that you should be cautious. How you spend your money is your business. The risks you take with your money is your business. Knowing there are dishonest sellers out there is a positive that can help prevent a tradgedy or significant disappointment.

We know of a few deals that are seriously ugly at the moment and the seller has gone silent with what appears to be zero intention of making the sale good. Audiogon is suggesting the buyers take a 25% hit on their purchase that are bogus in the first place.

Hate me I don’t care. It’s not a warranty issue it’s an honesty issue.

I’m assuming this thread’s membership is well aware that internet purchases need to be researched. Are you suggesting otherwise? I only purchase via authorized dealers, always check before ordering and suspect most here do the same or are well aware of the downside risk of not doing so. Caveat emptor

No further comment on this from me - don’t want to further reduce the signal/noise ratio in this thread.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #8,481 of 20,796

Well, not being able to mod these headphones, there's perhaps less to discuss. There's the effect of cables, but we're not allowed to discuss that here. And the issue of warranties. That's interesting, but we're not allowed to discuss that here. I wonder if there's anything else in the forbidden-discussion category...? Aha! Got it...

When jogging or even walking with any of my IEMs, I notice a booming noise with every footstep. I don't get that with my Utopias. Also, my IEMs tend to be uncomfortable for long periods of wear, just by virtue of the obstruction in the ear canal - even Comply foam gets painful after a few hours. What I've concluded is that with the Utopias there's NO OBSTRUCTION and NO OCCLUSION. And even if there were OCCLUSION, IT WOULDN'T BE A CRIME!

12:40pm. Let's see how long it takes the mods to remove this post... :wink:

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #8,482 of 20,796
I’m assuming this thread’s membership is well aware that internet purchases need to be researched. Are you suggesting otherwise? I only purchase via authorized dealers, always check before ordering and suspect most here do the same or are well aware of the downside risk of not doing so. Caveat emptor

No further comment on this from me - don’t want to further reduce the signal/noise ratio in this thread.
You have to realize that a lot of the warranty topic we spoke of earlier in the thread wasn't read by newer members who might not be aware of the trickery going on. It's not bad to help people. Just saying.

Aug 1, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #8,483 of 20,796
You have to realize that a lot of the warranty topic we spoke of earlier in the thread wasn't read by newer members who might not be aware of the trickery going on. It's not bad to help people. Just saying.

I’m certainly not against helping people, but also hope we can find a less repetitive way of addressing the most common questions. Everything one needs to know about the warranty and other FAQs was documented and updated by Allanmarcus in the first post of this thread. Could we compromise and suggest new members read that post rather than reopening the discussion each time? Not expecting to eliminate the question if people have specific info they need, just to reduce the repetition of the basic info.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #8,484 of 20,796
I’m certainly not against helping people, but also hope we can find a less repetitive way of addressing the most common questions. Everything one needs to know about the warranty and other FAQs was documented and updated by Allanmarcus in the first post of this thread. Could we compromise and suggest new members read that post rather than reopening the discussion each time? Not expecting to eliminate the question if people have specific info they need, just to reduce the repetition of the basic info.
I think we have gotten to the point on this thread that it's all repetitive now lol. Like, what else is there to talk about? Especially for the members who have been here since 2016 lol. It's quite a long thread.

Aug 1, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #8,485 of 20,796
...the members who have been here since 2016 lol. It's quite a long thread.
It could be worse. The HE-560 thread is 22 months older (started Mar'14) and is 19 posts away from 20k posts on 1333 pages vs. just under 8500 posts on 567 pages here. Of course they have a lot more to talk about over there (broken yokes, busted drivers, version changes/differences, mods...)

I think it's interesting how polarizing Utopia is. I guess it's the price combined with the whole 'best headphone in the world' thing. Folks (newbies especially) are either let down because '...nothing can match the price and hype', or they want to defend their self-image, as in 'I wasn't crazy to spend that much...'

JMHO of course :)

(Personally, I fall into the 'they're not perfect, but they're pretty darn good, and they do some things better than any other headphone I have or have heard' group. I know, I know -- I wouldn't think that if I'd heard...insert name of your favorite TOTL can here.)

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #8,486 of 20,796
It could be worse. The HE-560 thread is 22 months older (started Mar'14) and is 19 posts away from 20k posts on 1333 pages vs. just under 8500 posts on 567 pages here. Of course they have a lot more to talk about over there (broken yokes, busted drivers, version changes/differences, mods...)

I think it's interesting how polarizing Utopia is. I guess it's the price combined with the whole 'best headphone in the world' thing. Folks (newbies especially) are either let down because '...nothing can match the price and hype', or they want to defend their self-image, as in 'I wasn't crazy to spend that much...'

JMHO of course :)

(Personally, I fall into the 'they're not perfect, but they're pretty darn good, and they do some things better than any other headphone I have or have heard' group. I know, I know -- I wouldn't think that if I'd heard...insert name of your favorite TOTL can here.)
Lmao about the He-560 part. Maybe we need to come up with new complaints or something.

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #8,487 of 20,796
I think we have gotten to the point on this thread that it's all repetitive now lol. Like, what else is there to talk about? Especially for the members who have been here since 2016 lol. It's quite a long thread.

In a way that’s a good thing. A lot of older threads with high activity tend to be discussing break/fix issues. That hasn’t been a significant topic in this thread since a few initial issues were sorted. But I get what you’re saying,

Aug 1, 2018 at 5:39 PM Post #8,488 of 20,796
do you have both?
No longer : I upgraded (IMHO) the Burson 2+ to the OPPO HA-1 AUDIOCOM MODIFIED (I agree the upgrade is only for Hi-Rez and that the Burson 2+ is superior to the standard model of the HA-1). Then upgraded the HA-1 modified to a Moon 430HA. Choose it because it doen't includes a DAC ( why would I pay for a DAC feature way lower than my DAC ?) and because the Burson and the Oppo don't have a XLR's which is a shame. I still have a little solo ultra linear DE. No XLR but way ahead when it came out. Graham Slee is one of a kind.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #8,489 of 20,796
...and the Oppo don't have a XLR's...
Wait...what?

Does the Audiocom mod do away with XLR? Because the HA-1 has 4-pin XLR balanced output, dual 3-pin XLR balanced inputs, and dual 3-pin XLR pre-out outputs. (Also a 3-pin XLR input for AES/EBU, but I assume you were talking about analog ins/outs).

HA-1-Black-Front-hr_large.jpg

HA-1-Black-back-hr_large.jpg

Aug 1, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #8,490 of 20,796
Wait...what?

Does the Audiocom mod do away with XLR? Because the HA-1 has 4-pin XLR balanced output, dual 3-pin XLR balanced inputs, and dual 3-pin XLR pre-out outputs. (Also a 3-pin XLR input for AES/EBU, but I assume you were talking about analog ins/outs).

You're right, have just checked mo OPPO and found I've lost the antenna. What made me change is that it is a DAC + Head Amp. When I bought my direcstream combo, the new DAC was ways ahead so I had to improve the head amp.

Now I have to find an antenna for a discontinued Oppo :triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back