Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 31, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #8,461 of 20,796
If anyone cares, I like the Utopia with my old Headroom Max better than the 009 with my KGSShv-mini. The 009 is a touch more layered and transparent, but the Utopia is less fatiguing and the highs don't go over the top and I can easily play the Utopia louder. The Utopia is also more liquid and silky, especially in vocals.

And there is something uniquely satisfying in the Utopia bass, with some sort of super-fast earth shaking rumble.
This is with the exact same source, an EMM xds1 cdp and the same interconnects and power cords.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #8,462 of 20,796
Yeah I'm guessing not many Utopia owners get to pair it with that amp. I may get to listen to the combo soon. Though I'd be more interested in pairing it with the Apex HiFi Audio Pinnacle 2 / Pinnacle 2 Ultra just for curiosity's sake.
If you get the opportunity, definitely do so, I'm sure you'll be impressed. I to would like too hear either Pinnacle.

How would you compare a Utopia + WA33 vs a 009 + BHSE ?
I haven't spent enough time with the WA33/Utopia, I only had the WA33 for 2-3 days, so I'll need to spend much more time with the combo before definiteively expressing my impressions. What I said in Post #8457 where just my immediate initial impressions, which were exceptionally positive.

In the short time I had the WA33/Utopia, I can say the combo very dynamic, and my BHSE/009 is extremely smooth sounding which is why I decided not to sell off my Stax due to their differences. As I've mentioned, I also bought upgraded tubes for the WA33 consisting of UE-596 (which I already owned) and EHX 6C45Pi drivers & EML 2A3S power tubes, so this should only add to the SQ of the WA33/Utopia.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #8,465 of 20,796
You never know. The Abyss Phi CC, or the SR-009 or SR-009S, might even provide you with the best of both worlds. Preference is everything here.

The Phi/Phi CC and SR-009/SR-009S are faster than the Utopia, the Phi's have even punchier bass than the LCD-4. The SR-009/SR-009S are considerably more transparent and revealing/detailed (so obvious in the entire frequency range) and full bodied than the Utopia (and every other headphone really) while retaining a similar sound signature, and providing a far more open sound (sound stage and imaging are infinitely better). Then there's the SR-007.

In short I suggest trying all flagships, especially Stax haha. The Utopia supposedly doesn't scale as much with amplification but I can't speak for that.
in your opinion of course, and while it's debatable that "preference is everything" in this hobby, the same can't be said for yours, which is beyond dispute. :wink: i've not tried the abyss phi or the sr009s, but i have auditioned the sr009, sr007 and the lcd4, and chose the utopia over them. i don't share your opinion that the sr-009 obviously out-performs the utopia in the areas of "speed", transparency, resolution and tonal saturation - at least not subjectively anyway. i wouldn't be surprised if the sr-009 projects a larger "sound stage" and has a more open presentation tho.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:58 AM Post #8,467 of 20,796
You never know. The Abyss Phi CC, or the SR-009 or SR-009S, might even provide you with the best of both worlds. Preference is everything here.

The Phi/Phi CC and SR-009/SR-009S are faster than the Utopia, the Phi's have even punchier bass than the LCD-4. The SR-009/SR-009S are considerably more transparent and revealing/detailed (so obvious in the entire frequency range) and full bodied than the Utopia (and every other headphone really) while retaining a similar sound signature, and providing a far more open sound (sound stage and imaging are infinitely better). Then there's the SR-007.

In short I suggest trying all flagships, especially Stax haha. The Utopia supposedly doesn't scale as much with amplification but I can't speak for that.

I tried most the flagships. The Utopia and sr-009 were nice. The rest were not my cup of tea by a long shot. I decided to upgrade my speakers instead and 18 months latter I'm still in amazement at what they can pull off. I could see myself owning the Utopia or sr-009 or both but only after the 2 channel gets upgraded.

You need a really good stereo tech. in place first but the totl 2 channel gear from the 80's, in particular from Japan, is really hard to deny. Prices have gone up recently though. I think people are starting to catch on.

Aug 1, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #8,468 of 20,796
Hello, some have the burson conductor v2+ and focal utopia?, how is the pair up?

Ty
My Conductor V2+ will be in tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #8,470 of 20,796
I'm curious if those in countries where the price of these (or others) is high could just go to ebay and get a reasonably price one?
Can't someone just go on ebay in most civilized countries and just have it shipped by, say, Priority Mail International or DHL for under a hundred dollars?
I've sold several things overseas using this method and everything went well.
There are several Utopias popping up for sale on Audiogon or Ebay from time to time. Some are new or mint.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #8,471 of 20,796
I'm curious if those in countries where the price of these (or others) is high could just go to ebay and get a reasonably price one?
Can't someone just go on ebay in most civilized countries and just have it shipped by, say, Priority Mail International or DHL for under a hundred dollars?
I've sold several things overseas using this method and everything went well.
There are several Utopias popping up for sale on Audiogon or Ebay from time to time. Some are new or mint.

Be careful with that. There are guys on eBay, Audiogon and USAudioMart that ARE NOT authorized dealers pretending to be authorized. One of note and a very bad guy is Apex Stereo.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Aug 1, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #8,472 of 20,796
Be careful with that. There are guys on eBay, Audiogon and USAudioMart that ARE NOT authorized dealers pretending to be authorized. One of note and a very bad guy is Apex Stereo.

Do we really need this post repeated every time someone may not be purchasing from an authorized dealer (or a "Premier dealer")? Hasn't it been posted enough so that any reasonable person will find the discussion of warranty without it being repeated almost daily?

Anyone feeling the need to repeat the warranty situation with a new user could do it via PM to keep this thread focused the Utopia as a headphone and reduce the discussions of Focal business decisions that aren't likely to change.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #8,473 of 20,796
Do we really need this post repeated every time someone may not be purchasing from an authorized dealer (or a "Premier dealer")? Hasn't it been posted enough so that any reasonable person will find the discussion of warranty without it being repeated almost daily?

Anyone feeling the need to repeat the warranty situation with a new user could do it via PM to keep this thread focused the Utopia as a headphone and reduce the discussions of Focal business decisions that aren't likely to change.

You can always hit the "ignore" button.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #8,474 of 20,796
You can always hit the "ignore" button.

Normally I would, but it doesn't work very well with prolific posters who constitute somewhere around 10% of the posts in a given thread. Everything becomes too choppy.

Given the number of people in this thread who post about being frustrated over warranty discussions, I don't think I'm alone on this, though it's hardly the end of the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back