Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 15, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #7,426 of 20,576
I've had the same affliction.

One can avoid infection by simply avoiding certain areas, such as hi-end shops, Head-fi, Inner Fidelity... But once infected, it's for life. Turns out it's resistant to most anti-biotics. And it's like malaria -- it can lay dormant for months or even years and then flare up for the flimsiest of reasons: banner ads, folks walking down the street with headphones on, sale notices from websites or stores, and, most dangerous of all, friends showing off/bragging on their new gear.
Lol, no wonder the Doc said I had a disease and they didn't know what to call it, Told me "you better hide your wallet" So I continue without taking pills, stuck inside the audio world "spending thrills" lol

May 15, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #7,427 of 20,576
My experience since January of this year had it's up and downs. Some days I would put them on and start jamming out and "WOW this is AWESOME" and then the next day not so much lol. I might be leaving the Utopia of headphones altogether this Friday and getting the new LCD-4z. We'll see.
This happens with me as well, as I mentioned, I just wasn't feeling it with my headphones for some reason. Maybe too used to them, or just need something different after some time.
I'm surprised to hear you're letting the Utopia go, but then again, like I just mentioned, sometimes we feel the need for change after being too use to something. I've been curious to hear the LCD-4 for sometime now, but haven't borrowed them...yet.

One can avoid infection by simply avoiding certain areas, such as hi-end shops, Head-fi, Inner Fidelity... But once infected, it's for life.
+1

May 15, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #7,428 of 20,576
This happens with me as well, as I mentioned, I just wasn't feeling it with my headphones for some reason. Maybe too used to them, or just need something different after some time.
I'm surprised to hear you're letting the Utopia go, but then again, like I just mentioned, sometimes we feel the need for change after being too use to something. I've been curious to hear the LCD-4 for sometime now, but haven't borrowed them...yet.

+1
Yes, I would try out the 4z It's easier to drive and a little lighter and more comfortable, I know that from the MX4 experience.

May 15, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #7,429 of 20,576
My LCD-4's are the OG version and I love them just as much as I love the Utopia's.

Well that's interesting because my current "second" headphones is the HEKv2, which I notice you are (were!) in the process of unloading. I really like the HEKv2, though as it turns out, not really for the purpose of serving as a compliment to the Utopias, at least based on the idea I have in my head of what a "Utopia complement" would be.

If I keep them in the longer term, it will probably be because I like them on their own terms regardless of whether they overlap too much or not with any other pair of cans I keep, I guess. Jury's still out, but as you say, it's hard to narrow the collection down when they all offer something unique...

May 15, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #7,430 of 20,576
Well that's interesting because my current "second" headphones is the HEKv2, which I notice you are (were!) in the process of unloading. I really like the HEKv2, though as it turns out, not really for the purpose of serving as a compliment to the Utopias, at least based on the idea I have in my head of what a "Utopia complement" would be.

If I keep them in the longer term, it will probably be because I like them on their own terms regardless of whether they overlap too much or not with any other pair of cans I keep, I guess. Jury's still out, but as you say, it's hard to narrow the collection down when they all offer something unique...
I did just decide to hang on to my HE1K V2's. I like their sound. But like you said not as complimentary headphone to the Utopia but because it sounds good on it's own.

May 15, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #7,431 of 20,576
Bummer, hopefully, your Utopia will miss you and behave when you are back :)

Maybe it's the punchy dynamics and relatively small soundstage that gave you a congested impression? I guess it depends on where you come from. I remember Clear was my first Focal and it was a shocker. I did like the brightness of the fresh Clear but the balance was off by the time it settled. Utopia began a bit edgy but it's perfect now. Hopefully, you didn't get a bad set...

Safe travels.
Yes I come from the Clear too and yes it is a shocker!

May 15, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #7,432 of 20,576
My wording "incoherent peaky mess" may have been too strong. But my impression with Clear and Utopia were that I was splashed with sound all over. Maybe it was an information overload for the little bitty brain and ear that I have (coming from softly driven HD800) :) Somehow I adjusted over time. Perhaps a wishful thinking that the headphones settled in rather than my brain beginning to comprehend... :)
The feeling is like if there is something covering the drivers, I continuously had the instinct to check if I maybe had to remove some plastic from the ear cups but obviously that was not the case.
The sound is a little bit like when you place your palms close to the cups of open cans if you know what I mean.
Plus a degree of distortion similar to what happens if you drive an amp with an input signal which is way too strong (in voltage) if you had that experience before.
I will give it another go when I go back and if no improvement I will definitely bring them back to the retailer and pray to God for a proper customer service!
I am terrified by the typical “There is nothing wrong in the sound of these cans”...

Last edited:
May 15, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #7,433 of 20,576
The feeling is like if there is something covering the drivers, I continuously had the instinct to check if I maybe had to remove some plastic from the ear cups but obviously that was not the case.
The sound is a little bit like when you place your palms close to the cups of open cans if you know what I mean.
Plus a degree of distortion similar to what happens if you drive an amp with an input signal which is way too strong (in voltage) if you had that experience before.
I will give it another go when I go back and if no improvement I will definitely bring them back to the retailer and pray to God for a proper customer service!
I am terrified by the typical “There is nothing wrong in the sound of these cans”...

Oh, if that's the case I would follow others to say that you might have a faulty driver. What I experienced was the complete opposite. I felt that it was overly lively. It's not unheard of so hopefully, your store can take care of you!

May 15, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #7,434 of 20,576
Spent +/- 4hrs with my Utopia last night and have to say I haven't enjoyed my music as much as I did last night lately (don't know why) maybe I just needed some change?.

I found myself continuously adding tracks and kicked back relaxing while singing and toe tapping along, and can't wait to listen again tonight.

Also, I enjoyed the Utopia so much and I know after a couple of hundred hours they're going to change, but I'm really hoping they don't change much, I like them just the way they are to be quite honest.

In some cases I've experienced the sound of headphones I really enjoy warming up a bit more than I would like after sufficient burn in.
not necessarily

May 15, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #7,435 of 20,576
After a few months, I need change, I have a hard time owning something for long periods of time, no matter how good it was to me.
Maybe you just need more than 1 headphone. I have the Utopia, LCD-XC, Kaiser 10u, and SE846 in heavy rotation and my listen to my other gear maybe like once a month. It keeps everything fresh.

May 15, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #7,436 of 20,576
I have a WyWires Platinum XLR 8-foot cable that I'm looking to trade (or just sell) for something that's copper-based. After adding Silver Dragon interconnects, I think I've bent the stick too far with all the silver in my signal chain and am looking to dial it back and just experiment with other cables generally.
I didn't really the SPC cables with the Utopia. I think I'm going to go with the Axios Cu. Gonna go have another listen before I pull the trigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back