Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 14, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #7,396 of 20,576
May 14, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #7,397 of 20,576
I have made my own cable doing this: bought HD650 single ended cable, 2 Lemo connectors, cut headphone ends from the cable, and soldered Lemo's on left and right ends. Sound-wise I cant tell the difference with the stock cables, but weight and length are fine now. And It costs about $70.

May 14, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #7,399 of 20,576
I have made my own cable doing this: bought HD650 single ended cable, 2 Lemo connectors, cut headphone ends from the cable, and soldered Lemo's on left and right ends. Sound-wise I cant tell the difference with the stock cables, but weight and length are fine now. And It costs about $70.
Gotta be careful with this stock HD650 cables. They have enameled wire strands that are less than fun to strip. Still, a good choice. Once can get even less expensive with AliExpress connectors for < $10 each. For $5 more one can terminate the cable XLR 4-pin. $11 for the HD650 cable. $18 for the connectors. $29 plus labor. Maybe I'll sell these on eBay for $299 :smile_phones:

May 14, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #7,400 of 20,576
Can we talk about cables for a bit? I checked out the Kimber Axios, Nordost Heimdall 2, and SourceAV Black Cobra. I compared them to the stock Utopia cable and to each other using both my personal Utopia and the Source's, and a WA7 with Tidal MQA streaming from a V30. I used the same minute of music for each listen -- between 6:00 and 7:00 of Inception Medley by Hans Zimmer, Live in Prague -- so that I could really drill down and see if I could hear a difference, like some of you claim.

And, I could. F' me. Without having really tried out any high-end cables, I had always been kinda in the objectivist camp because it sounded well-reasoned and based on science. I think this is an example of where there hasn't been enough research done. Each cable sounded different and had their own signature sound. Not necessarily better sound, but there was definitely an effect.

SourceAV Black Cobra - This is where I started out. This is a bright cable that also has the effect of tightening up the bass. Cymbal crashes were louder and more shimmery. Timpani hits seemed slightly more defined with a quicker decay. Mids sounded slightly subdued, but it's probably only in relation to the elevated treble. The sheath on the cable is gorgeous and feels stealthy and a little dangerous. Black Cobra is definitely a name that fits these cables.

Nordost Heimdall 2 - This is also a bright cable that seemed to elevate treble as much as the Black Cobra. It did not seem to have an effect on the bass. However, it seemed like the dynamic range on some of the instruments were negatively affected. Some of the background percussion sounded more 1 dimensional vs having a rounded out sound.

Kimber Axios - Yes, the Utopia rocks out with this cable. I could hear slightly more texture in the brass and the timpani hits starting at 6:48 came through clear, well-defined, and with... I don't know the word... I could hear the mallet strike and each note reverberate in the kettle with a wider range of tones. I don't want to say that it's more "musical" because that seems like such a cop out but I'm not sure how else to describe it in a concise way.

Overall, I preferred the stock Utopia cable over the Black Cobra and Heimdall 2 because I didn't like the increased brightness. I can see either cable being great with something like the Ether or Auteur. I liked the Black Cobra better than the Heimdall 2 because of the increased bass definition and think it's a much better buy. The Axios really shined and I almost ordered one but checked my calendar and I'll be out of town for next week and a half. I wouldn't want $800 worth of cable sitting around for a week for my wife to cut in half with scissors when she finds out how much I spent on it.

There is feedback on dynamic's. Not much but it is there and on a dynamic as well built as the Utopia I could see how one could hear difference's between cables. Planar's do not have feedback and one of the reasons I'm not so keen on the abyss. I think the Abyss would sound just the same with inexpensive mogami as it does with its expensive stock cable. My favorite cable maker for a long time has been btg audio. Very reasonable prices and quality cables.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #7,401 of 20,576
There must be something wrong, I just opened up a new pair this past Friday, and they sounded awesome from the start. Zero distortion.
Did you compare them to any other headphones you already had with you?

May 14, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #7,402 of 20,576
I would give it 5 days to a week of continuous music at normal listening level. I experienced rough balance on both Utopia and Clear for the first few days. Initially, they were incoherent peaky mess. Four months now for me on the Utopia, I love it.
I'm flying out on a business trip and had to leave the Utopia back.
I'm leaving with a sense of frustration for the money spent (after having recently purchased a Dave...) compared to that congested mess I was hearing.

May 14, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #7,403 of 20,576
The thing is, the distortion and sense of congestion is significant, I would be surprised if after 300h this would be gone.
I mean, the sound is really off!

Something is wrong then. Yes they take to break-in (as everything does) however they should sound pretty amazing from the get go

May 14, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #7,404 of 20,576
I'm leaving with a sense of frustration for the money spent (after having recently purchased a Dave...) compared to that congested mess I was hearing.
Something is wrong then. Yes they take to break-in (as everything does) however they should sound pretty amazing from the get go
What he said!. There is something wrong, I would look to get them replaced.

May 14, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #7,405 of 20,576
Did you compare them to any other headphones you already had with you?
I never had another headphone on hnd when I got the Utopia, I only did a comparison of the Clear/MX4 when I had them in for demo. The Audeze edged it out for me.

May 14, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #7,406 of 20,576
i haven't heard the clear but i find it hard to believe that it or the utopia would start out sounding like "an incoherent peaky mess" and then miraculously right themselves after a lengthy period of "burn-in".

both headphones contain drivers that move in response to a breath of air and neither contain cross-overs. i'd be surprised if they required more than a few minutes of "burn-in", let alone several hours.

if they really do sound that bad from the outset then surely there's something wrong with them.

May 14, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #7,407 of 20,576

Bummer, hopefully, your Utopia will miss you and behave when you are back :)

Maybe it's the punchy dynamics and relatively small soundstage that gave you a congested impression? I guess it depends on where you come from. I remember Clear was my first Focal and it was a shocker. I did like the brightness of the fresh Clear but the balance was off by the time it settled. Utopia began a bit edgy but it's perfect now. Hopefully, you didn't get a bad set...

Safe travels.

May 14, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #7,408 of 20,576
I'm glad I demoed the Utopia for a second time because what I heard, as well as what I'm hearing now (right out of the box) was/is very impressive despite my saying "the Utopia just isn't for me" as well as some other negativity in the past. I definitely received a defective Utopia the first time I borrowed them, for sure. I once mentioned maybe they didn't have sufficient burn in, but that definitely wasn't the case. I now know this after borrowing the second time, as well as right now. Nice change from my other headphones and I know they'll only be sounding better with time.

@TSAVJason
Thank you very much for everything,
Joseph

May 14, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #7,409 of 20,576
i haven't heard the clear but i find it hard to believe that it or the utopia would start out sounding like "an incoherent peaky mess" and then miraculously right themselves after a lengthy period of "burn-in".

both headphones contain drivers that move in response to a breath of air and neither contain cross-overs. i'd be surprised if they required more than a few minutes of "burn-in", let alone several hours.

if they really do sound that bad from the outset then surely there's something wrong with them.

My wording "incoherent peaky mess" may have been too strong. But my impression with Clear and Utopia were that I was splashed with sound all over. Maybe it was an information overload for the little bitty brain and ear that I have (coming from softly driven HD800) :) Somehow I adjusted over time. Perhaps a wishful thinking that the headphones settled in rather than my brain beginning to comprehend... :)

May 14, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #7,410 of 20,576
I'm glad I demoed the Utopia for a second time because what I heard, as well as what I'm hearing now (right out of the box) was/is very impressive despite my saying "the Utopia just isn't for me" as well as some other negativity in the past. I definitely received a defective Utopia the first time I borrowed them, for sure. I once mentioned maybe they didn't have sufficient burn in, but that definitely wasn't the case. I now know this after borrowing the second time, as well as right now. Nice change from my other headphones and I know they'll only be sounding better with time.

@TSAVJason
Thank you very much for everything,
Joseph
glad you're impressed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back