Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 15, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #7,441 of 20,576
I'd be interested in hearing your impressions of the Axios Cu.
Kimber Axios - Yes, the Utopia rocks out with this cable. I could hear slightly more texture in the brass and the timpani hits starting at 6:48 came through clear, well-defined, and with... I don't know the word... I could hear the mallet strike and each note reverberate in the kettle with a wider range of tones. I don't want to say that it's more "musical" because that seems like such a cop out but I'm not sure how else to describe it in a concise way.
Here's my impression front an earlier post. I'll be back at the Source next week for a more in depth audition and I'll write more then.

May 15, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #7,442 of 20,576
I never expanded it. my post you quoted.
They'll have to change in some way from burn in from my experience, but again, hopefully not much.

How long have you had your Utopia, and how many hours would you say they have, and what's your experience with their change?
i've had mine for around six months. i don't know how many hours that i've put on it. the only change that i've noticed in the utopia's sound is as a result of switching between a tube amp with a relatively high output impedance, and solid state amplification with significantly lower output impedances.

if you expect the utopia's sound to change due to burn-in, then it probably will for you. :wink:

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #7,443 of 20,576
Make your own. I've made everything from simple 2 wires per channel cables to 8 wires per channel. I even showed my 16 strand branded cable to the braiding guy from Axios, and he was impressed. That cable was a serious project! As stated earlier, you might have to listen to the same 1 minute of song a hundred times to tell the difference, and even then, any difference will likely be minimal.

You might do fine if you simply shorten your stock cable. It will get lighter by the exact percentage of cable you chop off! :) Terminating it either XLR or TRS isn't hard, if you know how to solder. Alternatively, building your own simple, lightweight cable would cost $25-$100 depending on materials. Of course you can spend way more with expensive wire, sleeving, an/or plugs.

Aesthetics can also play a part in your decision. Cable noise (sometime called microphonics) can also play a part. It all depends on how you listen and what you want.

I'd be interested in trying that actually. Any recommendations where to get the raw materials?

May 16, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #7,444 of 20,576
I'd be interested in trying that actually. Any recommendations where to get the raw materials?
Check my signature. Look at the suppliers page

May 16, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #7,445 of 20,576
Maybe you just need more than 1 headphone. I have the Utopia, LCD-XC, Kaiser 10u, and SE846 in heavy rotation and my listen to my other gear maybe like once a month. It keeps everything fresh.
No, I don't think that's a good idea for me. I rather just give all my time to one headphone, get tired of it and venture into the next one.

May 16, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #7,449 of 20,576
Hahaha you’re the one that needs one of everything since you can’t make up your mind .....audio addict!!!! lol :)
LMAO! who you calling audio addict? Thank's to you and @TSAVAlan I get my fix :). You guys are partially at fault here.

May 16, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #7,450 of 20,576
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
May 16, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #7,451 of 20,576
Easy Cowboy! We’re just the audio dealer on the corner :)
Lmao, my plug, how are you? I wantttt that 4z. Do it, do it :). Bye, bye Utopia for me this Friday.

May 16, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #7,452 of 20,576
May 16, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #7,455 of 20,576
have you demoed the 4z & Utopia side by side before deciding to let the Utopia go?
Absolutely.... Not, I am winging it lol. From my experience of the MX4 and the 4z improves on that headphone then I will like it a lot. I think it will be a nice change. I like it da bass, a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back