Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 9, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #4,801 of 20,634
I spent a short time with the Clears today. At least for 5 minutes I appreciated the thicker bass presence. I love the way they look too. I like the way they are tuned more than the Utopia. But that's also only spending a few minutes in the RMAF setting. I know I'm weird but I still love that extra long cable the Utopia originally came with. Works great, sounds good.
I'm assuming Focal will keep the Elear in production as a lower priced alternative to the Clear.

Oct 9, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #4,803 of 20,634
Utopia has been cut to about $2500, right? I expect Elear would do better at $499.

No, the prices are back to $4K and $1K. The $2500 are open units that are suppose to be a Moon Audio exclusive, but Adorama offered up something similar but seems to be no longer available.

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #4,806 of 20,634
I can't see Focal maintaining those prices. I certainly wouldn't put down more than $2000 for Utopia.
Great. Please unsubscribe from this thread then and you won't be bothered with discussion about this headphone.

Oct 9, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #4,807 of 20,634
Great. Please unsubscribe from this thread then and you won't be bothered with discussion about this headphone.

Damn Allan! Don’t mince words .....what do you really think.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 9, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #4,808 of 20,634
Damn Allan! Don’t mince words .....what do you really think.
LOL,

well, generically speaking:
In his highly regarded early literary biography of Dickens, G.K. Chesterton commented on the interpretation of St. Paul's "suffer fools gladly":[8]

“ There is an apostolic injunction to suffer fools gladly. We always lay the stress on the word “suffer,” and interpret the passage as one urging resignation. It might be better, perhaps, to lay the stress upon the word “gladly,” and make our familiarity with fools a delight, and almost a dissipation. Nor is it necessary that our pleasure in fools (or at least in great and godlike fools) should be merely satiric or cruel. The great fool is he in whom we cannot tell which is the conscious and which the unconscious humour; we laugh with him and laugh at him at the same time."

I am neither godly, religious, or glad :)

Also, sorry I missed you at RMAF. I stopped by the room on the mezzanine level, but you weren't there, then I got distracted by too many cool squirrels.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #4,811 of 20,634
My sister came over once and saw my Utopias and asked to listen to them (not knowing a thing about head-fi). She loved the sound and asked me how much. I figured she might judge my life choices if I told her the true cost of the cans, so I told her $1K. She just about fell over at the absurdity of that number.

....yeah....

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #4,812 of 20,634
I figured she might judge my life choices if I told her the true cost of the cans, so I told her $1K. She just about fell over at the absurdity of that number.

I made the mistake of telling a guy at work the price of the Utopia, so he repeated the phrase "Your $4K headphones" in front of me over and over again afterwards. I thought about asking him what the difference between me spending $4K on headphones and him spending ten times on a luxury car that he barely drove :wink:

But I chose not to and instead ignored him. You know it's rarely ever worth the time and effort you spend being mad about people who like to decide what something is worth to you. If you're happy about what you have and can afford it, well, who cares? :)

Oct 10, 2017 at 2:01 AM Post #4,813 of 20,634
I made the mistake of telling a guy at work the price of the Utopia, so he repeated the phrase "Your $4K headphones" in front of me over and over again afterwards. I thought about asking him what the difference between me spending $4K on headphones and him spending ten times on a luxury car that he barely drove :wink:

But I chose not to and instead ignored him. You know it's rarely ever worth the time and effort you spend being mad about people who like to decide what something is worth to you. If you're happy about what you have and can afford it, well, who cares? :)
Too true. These cans are awesome. I love them.

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #4,814 of 20,634
I thought about asking him what the difference between me spending $4K on headphones and him spending ten times on a luxury car that he barely drove :wink:

My co-workers will buy a brand new BMW (and pay for all of that depreciation), but won't spend a penny on a comfortable office chair (that they sit in 40 hours a week).

I really don't understand American priorities sometimes.

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #4,815 of 20,634
My co-workers will buy a brand new BMW (and pay for all of that depreciation), but won't spend a penny on a comfortable office chair (that they sit in 40 hours a week).

I really don't understand American priorities sometimes.

Same here. My Co worker got the 80K truck and spent only 25 USD for hp or iem.
He said all sound the same to him.
I told him don't be cheap. Spend 20 USD for one day to hear more than 200,000 USD speaker at audio show and open your mind more.
To him BosE is the best.
I told him I have trashed BosE speakers in the trash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back