Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 11, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #4,831 of 20,602
If you paid with a credit card you can apply for a price match via the credit card company.

I didn’t think about this, going to look ito this today.

Oct 11, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #4,832 of 20,602
I didn’t think about this, going to look ito this today.

I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this. Even if it works, wouldn't this just lower the price of your original purchase? You'd still be left with 2 pairs of Utopias. And you're likely to take a hit selling either one, given that second hand Utopias don't (officially) carry any warranty.

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #4,833 of 20,602
I'd be interested to hear the outcome of this. Even if it works, wouldn't this just lower the price of your original purchase? You'd still be left with 2 pairs of Utopias. And you're likely to take a hit selling either one, given that second hand Utopias don't (officially) carry any warranty.

I’ll let you all know how it ends. I definitely need to stated the company I purchased my current pair from are top notch regarding their selection and awesome service.

Oct 11, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #4,834 of 20,602
The price match generally is only for advertised priced items, so that probably won't work. Good to try though.

This is really between you and the dealer. Try really hard to find something from the dealer about a return policy. Sometimes it's on their web site; sometimes on the back of the invoice or receipt. If it was just verbal, then you might be SOL. Either way, call your credit card and file a dispute either way. Worst that can happen there is that you will lose the dispute and owe the money.

I recommend you try really hard to be nice to the store you purchased the first one from. Don't tell them you are returning it because you found it cheaper. That might just piss them off. Just be very polite and say you changed your mind.

Worse comes to worse, you have a really nice Christmas gift for someone!

Oct 11, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #4,835 of 20,602
I’m sympathetic up to a point but I bought my Utopia’s new a month ago for less than $2700 so I’m confused about the $3300 price here. Retailers are under no obligation to accept returns. So one way or another this may cost you some money. Resales are now around $2400 and less so I don’t see a way out here.

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #4,837 of 20,602
Most reputable retailers in the US have a return period. I don't know about Canada but it's very unusual here not to have a return period.
Canada or not is irrelevant. Legally returns are at the discretion of the retailer no matter where you are. I would say that the last month has confused the market as far as pricing with Focal's promotion and I wouldn't be surprised if retailers are going to dig in their heels here and say "a sale is a sale" . Returned units will be at a loss to them. I still don't understand where the $3300 dollars comes from when the sale was $3000.

Oct 11, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #4,838 of 20,602
I’m sympathetic up to a point but I bought my Utopia’s new a month ago for less than $2700 so I’m confused about the $3300 price here. Retailers are under no obligation to accept returns. So one way or another this may cost you some money. Resales are now around $2400 and less so I don’t see a way out here.

Canada or not is irrelevant. Legally returns are at the discretion of the retailer no matter where you are. I would say that the last month has confused the market as far as pricing with Focal's promotion and I wouldn't be surprised if retailers are going to dig in their heels here and say "a sale is a sale" . Returned units will be at a loss to them. I still don't understand where the $3300 dollars comes from when the sale was $3000.

I want to reiterate how awesome their customer service is, They took my calls, responded to my emails and for that I'm appreciative. Unfortunately, they just don't accept returns. I'd definitely purchase from them again in the future, I'd just know they don't accept returns before I make a purchase.

I was told there wouldn’t be a problem returning if I’m not happy and there’s absolutely nothing printed anywhere stating no returns allowed or a mention of a restocking fee. This is the first time I've ever shopped somewhere and they don't have a return policy\don't accept returns. Correction - not *3300* The 3237 includes sales tax. I chalked it up as a learning experience but I hope I can get something back for them eventually. Thanks to everyone that provided some suggestions, back to my love of music.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #4,839 of 20,602
I'm saying most reputable places in the US have a return period. They will either return your money or give store credit. But it's VERY unusual not to offer returns unless maybe it's a very small retailer. But then, even they usually offer store credit. If it's a final sale, that will be made clear. I understand that the EU is even more consumer friendly than the US so returns should be even more easy there. Any place that says no returns(unless it's a customized item), needs to be upfront and clear about that in the sale contract. The other poster was apparently told one thing but told something else when trying to return.

As for $3300, taxes maybe. Because brick and mortar sales are subject to tax unless you live in a sales tax free state.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #4,841 of 20,602
So then what's the problem with returning the Utopia if they told you this at the time of purchase, I don't understand?

You and me both.. I explained everything but same response and I honestly don’t want to go back and forth with the he say she say stuff. Today a new day, still a happy customer who wants his money back lol. Have a good day everyone.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #4,842 of 20,602
I want to reiterate how awesome their customer service is, They took my calls, responded to my emails and for that I'm appreciative. Unfortunately, they just don't accept returns. I'd definitely purchase from them again in the future, I'd just know they don't accept returns before I make a purchase.

I was told there wouldn’t be a problem returning if I’m not happy and there’s absolutely nothing printed anywhere stating no returns allowed or a mention of a restocking fee. This is the first time I've ever shopped somewhere and they don't have a return policy\don't accept returns. Correction - not *3300* The 3237 includes sales tax. I chalked it up as a learning experience but I hope I can get something back for them eventually. Thanks to everyone that provided some suggestions, back to my love of music.

I suspect the issue is that you're returning them simply because you got a better price, not because you didn't like the headphones.

Retailers would go broke if they constantly accepted returns simply because their customer found a better price post purchase.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #4,843 of 20,602
Retailers would go broke if they constantly accepted returns simply because their customer found a better price post purchase.

Or even if the customer just changed his/her mind. I've heard that some people like to test out headphones via Amazon, which, depending on the seller, can have a fairly forgiving return policy. There has to be a fair middle ground. A 0% restocking fee can't be fair to the seller.

Imagine being the seller that has to shift a second-hand pair of Utopias. What kind of guarantee would you be able to offer with it, given that Focal might no longer provide an official warranty? You'd take a huge hit.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #4,844 of 20,602
Or even if the customer just changed his/her mind. I've heard that some people like to test out headphones via Amazon, which, depending on the seller, can have a fairly forgiving return policy. There has to be a fair middle ground. A 0% restocking fee can't be fair to the seller.

Imagine being the seller that has to shift a second-hand pair of Utopias. What kind of guarantee would you be able to offer with it, given that Focal might no longer provide an official warranty? You'd take a huge hit.

Very true. And the same people who buy 4 headphones and return 3 tend to then complain about rising prices in the hobby.....

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #4,845 of 20,602

From what I’m told they just send them back to Focal and are credited back but the customer doesn’t have to worry about things like this, I never have and I assume 99% of people don’t.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back