Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 12, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #4,846 of 20,624
From what I’m told they just send them back to Focal and are credited back but the customer doesn’t have to worry about things like this, I never have and I assume 99% of people don’t.

I'm going to hope - for the sake of mankind - that more than 1% of the population is able to 1) think critically and 2) have some kind of conscience.

Just think of the logistics involved. The seller is already paying for return shipping to the manufacturer and then gets a "credit". How much credit? Even if the returned item is working, it would have to be thoroughly tested before it could even be sold again as a refurbished unit. So either the manufacturer or the retailer - or both - are going to take a hit.

Even if you don't care about the retailer/manufacturer, you have to understand that you're expecting them to take a significant loss on a 0% restocking fee.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #4,847 of 20,624
I'm going to have to disagree with everyone else here. Because unless he missed something, they specifically told him he'd be able to return, not that it's final sale. If there are conditions on returns or final sale, that needs to be MADE CLEAR UPFRONT OR AT THE VERY LEAST ON THE SALES RECEIPT. Every retailer I've been to does this. It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth when any business says one thing and does another.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #4,848 of 20,624
I'm going to have to disagree with everyone else here. Because unless he missed something, they specifically told him he'd be able to return, not that it's final sale. If there are conditions on returns or final sale, that needs to be MADE CLEAR UPFRONT OR AT THE VERY LEAST ON THE SALES RECEIPT. Every retailer I've been to does this. It leaves a very bad taste in my mouth when any business says one thing and does another.

I presume one would be able to return the item by paying some kind of restocking fee? If not, then obviously there's a problem.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #4,849 of 20,624
I like that you’re knowledgeable but (I say this with a smile) as a customer do you really think I really give a crap about all that behind the scenes stuff lol.. my focus on the music, headphones and that 3k I’m spending. Don’t get me wrong, I do not like to waste material, was just hard to pass up on 1k savings, the fiscally responsible person in me just couldn’t pass it up. My job is to spend my hard earned money on what I love and if I want to return something I’ve never had a problem. Only thing that wasn’t known to me was that they don’t accept returns, if I had known I possibly would’ve still purchased from them but would’ve researched a little harder before my purchase.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #4,850 of 20,624

Are you still getting the Focal Clear? Please give your impression of them if you do.

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #4,851 of 20,624
I like that you’re knowledgeable but (I say this with a smile) as a customer do you really think I really give a crap about all that behind the scenes stuff lol.. my focus on the music, headphones and that 3k I’m spending. Don’t get me wrong, I do not like to waste material, was just hard to pass up on 1k savings, the fiscally responsible person in me just couldn’t pass it up. My job is to spend my hard earned money on what I love and if I want to return something I’ve never had a problem. Only thing that wasn’t known to me was that they don’t accept returns, if I had known I possibly would’ve still purchased from them but would’ve researched a little harder before my purchase.
Do they accept returns with a restocking fee???

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #4,852 of 20,624

The condition the OP posted was that they would take the headphone back if he didn't like them, not if he found a better price.

At what point would you suggest that the vendor no longer has to accept a return simply because their customer found a lower price somewhere else?

Oct 12, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #4,853 of 20,624

It’s unfortunate but I happen to know that stores policy very well. They would allow a return if the customer is not happy with the product. There would be a return fee because it’s now an open box. The restocking fee is to mitigate a portion of the open box cost. In this case while I’ve talked to this customer directly it’s all about a price variance. The customer service he’ll receive from LMC is significantly superior to any online seller at a discount. If it’s about price I get the disappointment. If it’s about support service and customer care he has purchased in his area at a store that not only allowed the demo access but also is vastly more responsive than your typical online and in some cases B&M store.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 12, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #4,854 of 20,624
Do they accept returns with a restocking fee???

Nope, They actually started making calls to Focal. I can only imagine it was hell for the businesses selling them over the past couple weeks and heaven for us customers lol hahahahaha...

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #4,855 of 20,624
For future reference, make sure return policies are full refund plus "no questions asked" or "for any reason". Crutchfield and Adorama have such a policy and only charges return shipment. I've had no problems at all with either (I returned a $3K camera to Adorama after I determined it was too big and heavy for travel). Credit cards with price protection are also a good option but the model and condition must match exactly. Also for Amazon, the return policies are up to each 3rd party vendor so you have the read the fine print carefully. For Amazon direct products, you can return for full refund and any reason less shipping fees.

Oct 12, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #4,857 of 20,624
Now I understand why they won't accept your return.

Yep, we live and we learn. Awesome service though. I’ll be shopping again from them (after searching for the best price around town First) hahahahaha

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #4,858 of 20,624
I presume one would be able to return the item by paying some kind of restocking fee? If not, then obviously there's a problem.

Sorry, I didn't refresh the thread before posting.

The condition the OP posted was that they would take the headphone back if he didn't like them, not if he found a better price.

At what point would you suggest that the vendor no longer has to accept a return simply because their customer found a lower price somewhere else?

Sorry, I didn't refresh the thread before posting.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #4,859 of 20,624
Nope, I was just told I could bring them back but honestly I said too much when I tried to return them. I should’ve just told them I wasn’t happy with the purchase and went about my day but because I mentioned the lower price else where they seemed more determined to not give me a refund but that was what really upset them, the lower price. They actually started making calls to Focal. I can only imagine it was hell for the businesses selling them over the past couple weeks and heaven for us customers lol hahahahaha...

Missed this post. Yes, that probably wasn't the best idea.

Oct 12, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #4,860 of 20,624
Missed this post. Yes, that probably wasn't the best idea.

Agreed, lol .. I’ve returned stuff before and stated I found better pricing and never had an issue. Heck, now a days when you return something 99% of the time they have “lower price” as an option when selecting why you’re returning an item. With all the price matching going around between stores and vendors I didn’t think it would be an issue. Lesson learned, I’m still rocking with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back