Focal Utopia General Discussion
Oct 8, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #4,771 of 20,536
I'm trying to parse what has been said about the price drop on the Utopia, which I have owned since launch. From what I can gather, they dropped to $3K new?

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #4,772 of 20,536
I have to say this but very carefully to be sure it’s not taken incorrectly. Have you ever heard the expression “things are not always as they seem”?

I don't know why but I read this as another new Focal TOTL is coming as an update to the Utopia, and that's why all the price drops. I could indeed be wrong though.

Oct 8, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #4,773 of 20,536
I don't know why but I read this as another new Focal TOTL is coming as an update to the Utopia, and that's why all the price drops. I could indeed be wrong though.

Focal and most brands always have new products in development. This is called advancing in technology.

What happens when things go south because of a “deal” is ugly. Only 1 dealer was authorized to sell open/used inventory and only 1 was supposed to have this special priced inventory. You guys are all smart enough to understand what I’m tryimg to say without bashing or harming anyone. Moon Audio was that 1 source for that and it’s done. Read the ad you’re currently seeing, note Moon Audio provided a factory 2 year warranty. Note this other company is claiming Focal gives you a 1 year for an unused never opened box. Something seems kinda odd? Also note that Focal directly provides a 2 year warranty to all authorized dealer sales and a 5 year Utopia Warranty Via B&M /hibrid stores. Sometimes things are not as the appear

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Oct 8, 2017 at 6:04 AM Post #4,774 of 20,536
I understand that if money is short you feel bad.

As productions increase and better technologies arrive, most item drop in price, or even become outdated at some point. Look at smartphones, TVs, etc.
For me this how it happens in our societies of mass consumption, and even more to be expected with electronic devices.
I reckon with this, all I want is that at the time I buy something I am not too disappointed with is performance in relation to price at which I bought it,
because I have the problem that I had no opportunity to audition these pricey item before buying them
So far, even if there are few items I didn't like some much (Ether C, LCD-X), I can accept their high price.
Though there are two I do regret buying and for which I think I wasted my money (I would not have bought them, had I been able to try them out before):
AKG K3003 and JH Harvey Layla.

Oct 8, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #4,779 of 20,536
Calling out all Utopia owners, how do you feel about the Clear getting the accessories that the flagship should have had?

I've not yet heard the Clear, but I've seen Jude's measurements, and it looks to be a fairly small tweak to the Elear. I suspect working (safely) to manufacture Be drivers is a significant expense with the Utopia. To me, the Utopia has quite a unique sound, with its super-low distortion. I think what Focal has tried to do with the Clear is basically a marketing ploy to shift more Elears, at a higher price point.

Think about it this way. Given the current deals available for the Elear, would you be willing to pay $1000 for a case and 3 cables (at least two of which you'd likely never use)?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 9:48 AM Post #4,780 of 20,536
I've not yet heard the Clear, but I've seen Jude's measurements, and it looks to be a fairy small tweak to the Elear. I suspect working (safely) to manufacture Be drivers is a significant expense with the Utopia. To me, the Utopia has quite a unique sound, with its super-low distortion. I think what Focal has tried to do with the Clear is basically a marketing ploy to shift more Elears, at a higher price point.

Think about it this way. Given the current deals available for the Elear, would you be willing to pay $1000 for a case and 3 cables (at least two of which you'd likely never use)?

How do you feel having bought the Utopia for the privilege of not receiving even the most basic accessories?

Assuming you actually did buy it, as I did before the sale even.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #4,781 of 20,536
How do you feel having bought the Utopia for the privilege of not receiving even the most basic accessories?

I did buy the Utopia. Perhaps I should now feel outraged, but I don't. I actually think those that are going to buy the Clear are getting a far worse deal than I got with the Utopia (I bought my Utopia during the trade-in deal from TSAV). Those that bought the Utopia at full-price, before the trade-in deal though - I can totally understand why some would feel aggrieved.

Oct 8, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #4,783 of 20,536
Th

The most basic accessories is a cable. The utopia comes with one.

Compare an accord with upgraded floor mats and a spoiler to a top of the line Acura. If you want the best car, you gonna get the accord because it comes with free floor mats over the Acura?

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #4,784 of 20,536
For all if you who are complaining about what you paid when you bought your Elear or Utopia before the prices dropped, or those of you not getting more stuff like what they are including with the Clear...

...please stop.

Nobody forced you to buy what you did when you did. Time moves on. Companies change their pricing, packaging, etc. Enjoy what you have and be glad you had the means to acquire it. The whining isn’t going to change the fact that Focal is a business making decisions about how to maximize profit and market share in an industry that doesn’t do volumes like many others.

I appreciate the fact that Focal is listening to its users, continuing to offer new products at different price points (even if they may not all be a good fit for me personally) and allowing me to enjoy music more fully than I did before.

Oct 8, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #4,785 of 20,536
I'm trying to parse what has been said about the price drop on the Utopia, which I have owned since launch. From what I can gather, they dropped to $3K new?

They still cost 4k, Focal ran a promotion if you traded in an old pair of headphones they knocked off 1k
For all if you who are complaining about what you paid when you bought your Elear or Utopia before the prices dropped, or those of you not getting more stuff like what they are including with the Clear...

...please stop.

Nobody forced you to buy what you did when you did. Time moves on. Companies change their pricing, packaging, etc. Enjoy what you have and be glad you had the means to acquire it. The whining isn’t going to change the fact that Focal is a business making decisions about how to maximize profit and market share in an industry that doesn’t do volumes like many others.

I appreciate the fact that Focal is listening to its users, continuing to offer new products at different price points (even if they may not all be a good fit for me personally) and allowing me to enjoy music more fully than I did before.

You seem a little up tight because customers, (well maybe sheep is the better word for you) are disappointed that they get less for a flagship. Are you aware second hand sales can be an important factor in someone’s purchase because I sure as heck don’t got tons of equipment laying around, that’s because I resell my stuff. And I thought this was a medium where music enthusiast came together to express their feelings good or bad regarding a product.

You must be working for Focal in their PR department...dang and you only made 34 posts since 2016.. I’m not taking you serious lol...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back