Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 10, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #4,021 of 20,655
I knew that Utopia's are microscope that can reveal any changes of components/cables/accesories whatsover. But what I didn't know until last week-end, it's the tremendous bass capabilities of these fantastic headphones. I used to agreed with most people here that said the Utopia's are just a bit shy on bass and just a bit peaky on treble and with an average soundstage. Of course, all the rest is simply stellar. Speed, clarity, timing, details, natural timbre, etc.

I recently replaced my two sources of music (Mac Mini powered by a LPSU for streamin with Tidal and an Auraliti PK90 USB music player from my external SSD) by a Streamer made by Magna HiFi called the Mano. This streamer is made to output a really clean I2S signal via HDMI to compatible dacs (i.e. Audio GD, Holo Spring, PS Audio among others). My dac is a HDMI modified dac/preamp/headphone amp in one box Audio GD Reference 10.32. It's a R2R dac based on 4 PCM 1704UK chips that I configured in NOS (Non-oversampling) mode.

With the Mano at work, the bass became absolutely visceral. Huge, huge step from my old sources. And this is coming from a guy who used to have the Audeze LCD-2v2 for about 4 years. The impact is simply stunning. Bass quantity largely improved too. Goes deeper too. I would certainly compared it as a boost of 3 db in bass region at least. The treble is also much smoother. The whole experience is simply more musical. The sound is just much more full and fleshy now. I suppose that the power supply and quality of components used in the Mano are responsible for these improvements (along with proper cabling with excellent power cord and HDMI cable).

All that to say, that the Utopia's are more than capable to bring fantastic bass presence to the table. Not OK bass, not satisfactory bass, not good bass, FANTASTIC bass presence.

When people are saying that Utopia's performance are really dependant of the source(s), it is an absolute truth. I'm now a real world experience firm believer of that theory.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #4,022 of 20,655
Copper Edition cables for my Utopia and WM1Z. It is for affordability, wish I could have saved enough for another silver-gold exotic cables :frowning2:

IMG_1640.JPG

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #4,023 of 20,655
Utopia/ZDS/Yggy is really amazing, dangerously so. Too many nights I have stayed up until dawn seemingly incapable of stopping the music. The resolution and clarity of the Utopia jives so well with the luxurious, smooth, and spacious character of the ZDS, with the Yggy's detailed and involving sound suitably feeding both.
I'm currently debating between ZDS and the EC Aficionado (site calls it Studio jr.) amp that's about to release. The Aficionado seems crazy tempting...

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #4,025 of 20,655
What is it that makes you consider the ZDS over the AF?
Other way around, I'm leaning heavily towards AF for the most part, but the ZDS is cheaper and imo looks more aesthetically pleasing.

Those aren't important reasons, I was more interested in people who have used ZDS because Marvey's been saying it leans towards the ZDS in terms of lushness, but has the faster power of the studio.

Seems like it's a great hybrid between the two, and tubes aren't going to break the bank.

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #4,026 of 20,655
What 6SL7 are you using with the ZDS and Utopia?

It varies. Lately just a 6SU7GTY BRP, which is a nice all-rounder tube I can leave on without worrying. For a warmer sound when in a calm mood, RCA 5692 black plates. My best is probably the Mullard ECC35, which I use for more special occasions. I still need to try the Philips JAN and others. I just can't be bothered to spend anymore money on tubes at the moment.

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #4,027 of 20,655
Other way around, I'm leaning heavily towards AF for the most part, but the ZDS is cheaper and imo looks more aesthetically pleasing.

Those aren't important reasons, I was more interested in people who have used ZDS because Marvey's been saying it leans towards the ZDS in terms of lushness, but has the faster power of the studio.

Seems like it's a great hybrid between the two, and tubes aren't going to break the bank.

Not many have heard the AF so no way to tell really. I am guessing it is the more transparent and technically capable amp.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #4,029 of 20,655
Yeah there was one really in depth review from someone who has used a lot of EC stuff and used like 6 headphones with it.

Would you be able to PM me the link for it please

Thanks

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #4,030 of 20,655

I figured as such - the other way around would be curious. I agree with you RE the ZDS being the better looking amp. They may have taken the 'just what you need' idea a little too far with the aesthetics.

I've heard the ZDS and the Studio, but not the AF.

As for price, if you pre-ordered it was only a few hundred more than the ZDS making it a no-brainer in my eyes. The ZDS, to me, is a little overly lush and smooth. Some love it, but in the end, for me, it just wasn't my thing - much like LCD4's. The Studio was the opposite, almost cold sounding. The AF is *supposed* to be right in the middle which really sounds like a sweet spot. I'm flip flopping back and forth on my one myself (I pre-ordered at the very beginning and they are asking for deposits now) but I'm not sure if I 'need' another tube amp.

Anyway, if I were you I would get the AF over the ZDS based on what I've read. I have a hard time making a case the other way around (aside looks and price).

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #4,033 of 20,655
I have a brand new one...

And it sounds the same as the Utopia from thecablecompany which I assume was much older...
Okay, Great. Thanks for the reply. I read in 2 different sites that the earlier serial numbers were more neutral, and the newer ones are more bass heavy. I hope they didn't lose that clarity.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #4,034 of 20,655
Okay, Great. Thanks for the reply. I read in 2 different sites that the earlier serial numbers were more neutral, and the newer ones are more bass heavy. I hope they didn't lose that clarity.
Hm... My system didn't change...

If it got slightly warmer it wasnt at the expensive of anything else... the treble and mids are still super clear.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #4,035 of 20,655
Hm... My system didn't change...

If it got slightly warmer it wasnt at the expensive of anything else... the treble and mids are still super clear.
What I meant by 2 different sites are comments by (users) not professional stated comments by a publisher or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back