Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 22, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #4,051 of 20,644
Utopia and portable system :D

IMG_1678.JPG

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #4,052 of 20,644
It's curved very well and perfect for the Utopia IMO.

These pics may give you an idea of the curvature:

That looks sweet! Do you not use an amplifier with Dave though? Dave is a spectacular dac but that still leaves a tiny bit more room to ascend :) Some WA33s or like an Eddie Current Studio would make that like my dream.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #4,053 of 20,644
For efficient headphones I reckon anything more would just color the sound.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #4,054 of 20,644
That looks sublime! Those pictures pretty much guaranteed my choice in purchasing one, unless I can find a better one by days end.. (doubtful).
Makes me also want to sell my entire setup for a DAVE.

Lol, sorry, it's all I had on hand as I'm not near my listening/work station to take a pic of the stand specifically.

The nice thing is you can fit two full sized headphones on one stand. And if there's an intruder you can pummel them with the base. It's a solid stand. :)

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #4,056 of 20,644
That looks sweet! Do you really not use an amplifier with Dave though? Dave is a spectacular dac but that still leaves a tiny bit more room to ascend :) Some WA33s or like an Eddie Current Studio would make that like my dream.

I have the Liquid Gold (9W) sitting outside the pictures and all I find with my headphones is that it adds the sweet Cavalli signature, and slightly reduces the transparency from the DAVE direct. There really isn't a power issue direct from the DAVE for me. I don't have the LCD-4 or HE-6 or difficult to drive headphones so it's not a concern to me at all. I'm sure others will disagree, but I'm in the camp that enough power with a little headroom is simply enough for my listening levels, after that the unused power is a waste to me, unless cranking the volume to max and destroying your hearing and headphones.

Good design and implementation are far more important to me than an unused max power spec. Being the Utopia thread, I can say the DAVE powers them fine at -30 to -40 volume (depending on the track), which is less than half the output capabilies of the DAVE, so no worries about power with the Utopia for me.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #4,057 of 20,644
I have the Liquid Gold (9W) sitting outside the pictures and all I find with my headphones is that it adds the sweet Cavalli signature, and slightly reduces the transparency from the DAVE direct. There really isn't a power issue direct from the DAVE for me. I don't have the LCD-4 or HE-6 or difficult to drive headphones so it's not a concern to me at all. I'm sure others will disagree, but I'm in the camp that enough power with a little headroom is simply enough for my listening levels, after that the unused power is a waste to me, unless cranking the volume to max and destroying your hearing and headphones.

Good design and implementation are far more important to me than an unused max power spec. Being the Utopia thread, I can say the DAVE powers them fine at -30 to -40 volume (depending on the track), which is less than half the output capabilies of the DAVE, so no worries about power with the Utopia for me.
As long as you're happy with it that's all that's important :thumbsup:. Though I'd say there's more to power than output level. Mojo can make them loud enough, but it's way better sounding out of my WA7s for example using Mojo as the dac still (which to be fair I don't really do).

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #4,058 of 20,644
As long as you're happy with it that's all that's important :thumbsup:. Though I'd say there's more to power than output level. Mojo can make them loud enough, but it's way better sounding out of my WA7s for example using Mojo as the dac still (which to be fair I don't really go).

Precisely. Emphasis from my post - quality implementation.

Edit: Ironically, the WA7 is worse than the Mojo is all specs besides power. Just goes to show that we can't all agree on our preferences, but one should definitely use what they prefer. I prefer DAVE direct, others like an amp added to the mix. Either way, whatever works.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #4,059 of 20,644
Precisely. Emphasis from my post - quality implementation.

Edit: Ironically, the WA7 is worse than the Mojo is all specs besides power. Just goes to show that we can't all agree on our preferences, but one should definitely use what they prefer. I prefer DAVE direct, others like an amp added to the mix. Either way, whatever works.
I don't use either as a dac they both arent great. The WA7 amp though is very warm an musical with the right tubes.

I have a Yggy now though and an Eddie Current Aficionado ordered.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #4,060 of 20,644
I don't use either as a dac they both arent great. The WA7 amp though is very warm an musical with the right tubes.

I have a Yggy now though and an Eddie Current Aficionado ordered.

Should sound fantastic!

Jul 23, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #4,061 of 20,644
Can someone recommend me an inexpensive headphone stand for the Focal Utopia?

I use those for all the headphones my study, I have a dozen of them and I can put 2 pairs of headphones on each :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUD68KA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I fix them on adjustable bookshelves above my desk, so they are within handreach, I can catch, or put back most while sitting,

what I find great :
- uses no space on my desk
- looking at rows of headphones →good oversight

I cover the rows with black acoustic Fabric: this prevents dust from settling), as well as acoustic (beter for listening to my speakers) and light (beter for watching YouTube or a movie on the UHD TV I use as computer screen) reflections.
I cannot provide any picture as I am off on vacation.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #4,062 of 20,644
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #4,063 of 20,644
I find the use of HDMI very interesting, I am considering this for my Utopia.
Would it be possible to have comparative impressions versus a (USB-fed) Chord DAC?

I never heard the Utopia with any Chord dac so I can't comment. But I can say that my current set up with HDMI sounds much better than my USB based old set up. Much richer, fuller and smoother. But it's certainly not only the connection but has more to do with the new streamer. Incredible value as transport is concerned. Also, I think R2R dac are good match with the revealing Utopia.

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #4,065 of 20,644
IMG_1685.JPG
How does the Hifiman Susvara compare to the focal utopia?

I see a lot of people having the desires to use SusVara with Full scale home speakers amplifier by using specially made Adapter by Hifiman. In the mean while ? I am having my mind blown by Utopia out of a Walkman...yes....a Walkman. To me, this is a huge winner already

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back