Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jul 11, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #4,037 of 20,644
I finished this Utopia cables to WM1Z Pentaconn style using the OFC top of their tier :)

IMG_1643.JPG

Jul 15, 2017 at 7:52 AM Post #4,041 of 20,644
You guys reckon the Metrum Acoustics Amethyst would be a good pairing with the Utopia?
Yes.

But I don't reckon - I own the Amethyst. I would add it makes for a solid foundation, which could be used as a DAC-only option for future amplifier upgrades. It is considerably better at this than the previous generation, Musette.

My question to you - have you heard NOS before? Some people dislike its sound, preferring instead to hear the OS sound, such as that used by Schiit. That is my only reservation, not knowing what you've heard. It is certainly capable of driving the Utopia directly, and I'm enjoying it immensely to feed other amplifiers.

Jul 15, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #4,042 of 20,644
Yes.

But I don't reckon - I own the Amethyst. I would add it makes for a solid foundation, which could be used as a DAC-only option for future amplifier upgrades. It is considerably better at this than the previous generation, Musette.

My question to you - have you heard NOS before? Some people dislike its sound, preferring instead to hear the OS sound, such as that used by Schiit. That is my only reservation, not knowing what you've heard. It is certainly capable of driving the Utopia directly, and I'm enjoying it immensely to feed other amplifiers.
It is pretty new so I suppose not many have heard it.

I have not heard NOS before for that matter.

Jul 22, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #4,043 of 20,644
I knew that Utopia's are microscope that can reveal any changes of components/cables/accesories whatsover. But what I didn't know until last week-end, it's the tremendous bass capabilities of these fantastic headphones. I used to agreed with most people here that said the Utopia's are just a bit shy on bass and just a bit peaky on treble and with an average soundstage. Of course, all the rest is simply stellar. Speed, clarity, timing, details, natural timbre, etc.

I recently replaced my two sources of music (Mac Mini powered by a LPSU for streamin with Tidal and an Auraliti PK90 USB music player from my external SSD) by a Streamer made by Magna HiFi called the Mano. This streamer is made to output a really clean I2S signal via HDMI to compatible dacs (i.e. Audio GD, Holo Spring, PS Audio among others). My dac is a HDMI modified dac/preamp/headphone amp in one box Audio GD Reference 10.32. It's a R2R dac based on 4 PCM 1704UK chips that I configured in NOS (Non-oversampling) mode.

With the Mano at work, the bass became absolutely visceral. Huge, huge step from my old sources. And this is coming from a guy who used to have the Audeze LCD-2v2 for about 4 years. The impact is simply stunning. Bass quantity largely improved too. Goes deeper too. I would certainly compared it as a boost of 3 db in bass region at least. The treble is also much smoother. The whole experience is simply more musical. The sound is just much more full and fleshy now. I suppose that the power supply and quality of components used in the Mano are responsible for these improvements (along with proper cabling with excellent power cord and HDMI cable).

All that to say, that the Utopia's are more than capable to bring fantastic bass presence to the table. Not OK bass, not satisfactory bass, not good bass, FANTASTIC bass presence.

When people are saying that Utopia's performance are really dependant of the source(s), it is an absolute truth. I'm now a real world experience firm believer of that theory.

I find the use of HDMI very interesting, I am considering this for my Utopia.
Would it be possible to have comparative impressions versus a (USB-fed) Chord DAC?

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #4,044 of 20,644
Can someone recommend me an inexpensive headphone stand for the Focal Utopia?

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #4,045 of 20,644
Jul 22, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #4,046 of 20,644
Jul 22, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #4,048 of 20,644
I would too if I had a portable DAP setup.

Woo Audio HPS-RB seems like another good but cheap alternative.

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #4,049 of 20,644
That actually looks perfect. The color would match the Utopia's well. Is the top curved enough for the headband shape? The picture looks fairly flat.

It's curved very well and perfect for the Utopia IMO.

These pics may give you an idea of the curvature:

IMG_1200.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG

IMG_1202.JPG

Jul 22, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #4,050 of 20,644
That looks sublime! Those pictures pretty much guaranteed my choice in purchasing one, unless I can find a better one by days end.. (doubtful).
Makes me also want to sell my entire setup for a DAVE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back