Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 24, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #4,576 of 20,559
This custom fit case from Focal is made well and is smaller than you might imagine it to be. I like my Utopia enough to get this fit for my travel use.
Looking at it again, it does look just larger than the headphone, so pretty sleek. Nice. Unfortunately the Focal web site doesn't have the outer dimensions. Any chance you can post the dimensions?

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #4,577 of 20,559
Looking at it again, it does look just larger than the headphone, so pretty sleek. Nice. Unfortunately the Focal web site doesn't have the outer dimensions. Any chance you can post the dimensions?

As soon as our next shipment from FNA comes in I will. They are a really snug and well protective fit from the exterior. There is a small center space for the cable and possible a small player.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 24, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #4,578 of 20,559
Sep 24, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #4,580 of 20,559
I take my Focal Elear everyday to work during the week, I am currently using this one ,
which is quite oversized in allndimensions,
but I don't need to unplug the cable when I put them inside:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENO322C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got that same case too. I'm actually using it for my Denon D5Ks at work. Both the Utopia and the Denons are not a perfect fit. My Utopia HP doesn't travel. I put a wash cloth in that CaseBudi to pad it out and that keeps the headphone more snug rather than bouncing around. I have an Audeze pelican case for my XC. The Utopia are too big, the arc is too wide and they won't squeeze into the foam outline. They actually knock into the hard plastic side. They would possibly fit that way but it's not something I'd want to try and force with my HPs.

The Focal case looks nice. I guess everything Focal branded will be extra expensive but if you did want to transport your Utopias a custom fit case made for them isn't a bad way to go. I think the CaseBudi works fine too but it's not as nice and you have to find a way to fill the void space so that the HPs don't clunk around inside.

Sep 24, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #4,581 of 20,559
I got that same case too. I'm actually using it for my Denon D5Ks at work. Both the Utopia and the Denons are not a perfect fit. My Utopia HP doesn't travel. I put a wash cloth in that CaseBudi to pad it out and that keeps the headphone more snug rather than bouncing around. I have an Audeze pelican case for my XC. The Utopia are too big, the arc is too wide and they won't squeeze into the foam outline. They actually knock into the hard plastic side. They would possibly fit that way but it's not something I'd want to try and force with my HPs.

The Focal case looks nice. I guess everything Focal branded will be extra expensive but if you did want to transport your Utopias a custom fit case made for them isn't a bad way to go. I think the CaseBudi works fine too but it's not as nice and you have to find a way to fill the void space so that the HPs don't clunk around inside.

Nice too hear you are using the same case.
Indeed this case is so big that , without extra stuff, the Utopia or Elear would bounce in all directions...
I have many extra cable (long OTG, big power cable for the Mojo) which I put in the special pocket and this provides stuffing against upwards bouncing.
Then because I don't unplug the cable, and also wrap them around the Elear, this helps getting the hps stuk.
And the my mojo in a DV 25 Lowepro put some pressure between the earpads, so nothing moves.
But this case is just too big.... I fit it inside my soft Eastpack case but it makes a big bump protruding outwards, not a good image...
My Utopias are too precious, I keep them at home, and at work I need a darker tonality so the Elear is a real nice upgrade for the Oppo PM-2.

Sep 24, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #4,582 of 20,559
one quick question for focal utopia. focal site shows update 9ft(3m) stock cable while most dear site still show original 13ft(4m) cable. i was wondering what people got recently. Thanks.

2 weeks ago mine was 9 ft long sorry about earlier post I actually measured it this time

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #4,583 of 20,559
Hey Jason
What is the ETA at TSAV for the case?

Best
Gregg

PS now we need to get Sony to wake up and do the same for the Z1R

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #4,584 of 20,559
PSS Can you all Focal for some outside dimensions? ( mm will do :) )

Sep 25, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #4,586 of 20,559
Sep 25, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #4,587 of 20,559
Not true, BA drivers just lack decay, that's all. The unnatural tone of BAs makes instruments and vocal sounds like coming out from a synthesizer; all nuances are removed leaving a soulless sound fitting for a hearing aid.

Maybe, you are right, but I'm comparing with the IEMs that I have tried, some of them high end one certainly has excellent decay, natural sounding and is just slightly faster to my ears, the mid-fi one is like you said, you may say that it seems faster due to the characteristic you mentioned.
I'm only describing what can be percieve by my ears, whether it is faster technically and scientifically is beyond me.

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #4,588 of 20,559
Maybe, you are right, but I'm comparing with the IEMs that I have tried, some of them high end one certainly has excellent decay, natural sounding and is just slightly faster to my ears, the mid-fi one is like you said, you may say that it seems faster due to the characteristic you mentioned.
I'm only describing what can be percieve by my ears, whether it is faster technically and scientifically is beyond me.

Anyway there is little point in comparing with BA as they are too small to make up headphones, but are only fit for in-ears.
I have a super fast single BA in-ear, Final' s FI-BA-SS, but then you miss do much soundstage, not to speak of imaging. and a single BA cannot cover all frequencies.

The limitation re. frequency range can be compensated by putting many BAs together, but then you get issues with the many cross-overs and lose a lot of speed, I know because I own the JH Audio Laya with an awful number of BAs, I made a real mistake in buying them.

For me there is a clear superiority of hps like the Utopia compared to BA based in-ears.

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #4,589 of 20,559
Anyway there is little point in comparing with BA as they are too small to make up headphones, but are only fit for in-ears.
I have a super fast single BA in-ear, Final' s FI-BA-SS, but then you miss do much soundstage, not to speak of imaging. and a single BA cannot cover all frequencies.

The limitation re. frequency range can be compensated by putting many BAs together, but then you get issues with the many cross-overs and lose a lot of speed, I know because I own the JH Audio Laya with an awful number of BAs, I made a real mistake in buying them.

For me there is a clear superiority of hps like the Utopia compared to BA based in-ears.

I agree with this 100%, the soundstage is the part that i miss the most, it's just too close in my head.
Even until now I never spend money to buy IEMs just because of reasons you said.

Sep 25, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #4,590 of 20,559
Sadly I will order one since I travel so much, eventhough I find it silly that it was not included with a $4000 headphone.

I'm actually tempted too, this will be useful for when I need to travel, but the price is a bit steep.
I might just wait a bit until right before the travelling time and probably some third party company will come up with a cheaper case which obviously not as form fitting as the focal one but does a good job regardless.

It would be nice if this si included in a new purchase, as I find the headphone itself is not too big and is quite transportable, compared to my Z1R or other hi-end planars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back