Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Jul 13, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #526 of 1,465
Reading these comments and comparisons with the Atticus has certainly caught my attention. I still haven't spent over 600 bucks on a set of cans, new or used. However, I think may in the near future. I recently stumbled upon the Quad Era-1, and it's pretty awesome. Does wonders for rock and metal, and I'm not a big fan of planars. Best closed back I've heard is the Magni, but it ran a bit too hot up top. From there, people have highly recommended the Atticus. I'm set on open backs with the Quad and SR2, but haven't found the right closed back yet. Can anyone go into a little greater detail comparing and contrasting the Radiance with the Atticus? I've tried the 7200, E-mu Teak, and Magni. I've also considered the 9200, but after owning both the 5200 and 7200, I'm not convinced this would be the right direction.
I own both the Radiance as well as the Atticus and have done a side by side detailed comparison of both.

The Radiance to my ears is handily the better headphone in almost every category. The Atticus sounds muddy and bloated in the bass by comparison. The Radiance has much more detailed resolution, much better slam, faster transients and more nicer tonality. Better micro and macro dynamics and overall the better bang for buck.

Atticus is very warm and easily ZMF’s darkest headphone. I think it lacks detail and is low on resolution. That being said I think it’s better built than the Radiance. More comfortable even though it’s heavier and with the right pairing of Dac/Amp I’m sure it can surprise.

With my current setup I’d easily sell the Atticus and go with something else.

If your budget is under $600 I’m not sure where you should be looking. Maybe a used Celestee or an Elegia with Celestee pads if you’re into EQ.

Jul 13, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #527 of 1,465
Interesting , I was considering an Atticus as my only closed back headphone. If you were using this mostly for watching movies/TV and occasional music would you still go with the radiance?

Jul 13, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #528 of 1,465
Interesting , I was considering an Atticus as my only closed back headphone. If you were using this mostly for watching movies/TV and occasional music would you still go with the radiance?
Based on your current gear which is top tier summit you’d most likely hate the Atticus. All of your gear indexes for Resolution as the primary focus. Atticus is not resolving at all. Unless you are looking for something completely different from your current headphones I'd be staying away from the Atticus.
Look at the VC. Easily the best closed back in the world and would give you the resolution that you’re looking for but also the warmth that the Atticus has but far less of it.

Jul 13, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #529 of 1,465
Hello everyone,
I have been so long out of head-fi that I forgot that once you start looking at new headphones a whole scala of them suddenly pops up:
So another comparison question arrises for me:
Has anyone been able to test side by side the focal radiance and the 2020 version of the audeze lcd xc?
I have never owned a planar magnetic headphone before so not sure what the differences are with dynamic driver. I know its a lot heavier but I would not use it while walking around.
Thanks as always for any info!
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 13, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #530 of 1,465
Hello everyone,
I have been so long out of head-fi that I forgot that once you start looking at new headphones a whole scala of them suddenly pops up:
So another comparison question arrises for me:
Has anyone been able to test side by side the focal radiance and the 2020 version of the audeze lcd xc?
I have never owned a planar magnetic headphone before so not sure what the differences are with dynamic driver. I know its a lot heavier but I would not use it while walking around.
Thanks as always for any info!
Greetings, Anouk,
My apologies in advance as I don't want to come across as a reviewer in replying to all of these posts but I have done a side by side comparison with a Radiance and 2021 LCD-XC and they are very much a different headphone. I A/B tested over a weekend and spent maybe 8 hours total comparing them side by side on multiple sources. I mainly used the A&K KANN Alpha as it's a totally neutral source with plenty of power to drive both (both are really efficient).

Radiance - No need for EQ. Compared to the XC they are a lot warmer. Increase in soundstage. Less analytical. No treble peaks.
The Dynamic driver in the Radiance gives a more natural tonality and richness in the vocals. Better bass extension and body. Overall better slam and impact.

2021 LCD-XC - Beats Radiance handedly in almost every other category. But I still sold them and kept the Radiance. The XC is very analytical to my ears. They have a lot of air in the treble. Like 4-5db too much. Bass is light and needs quite a bit of sub-bass boost. They sounded correct with the iFi X-bass which is 4-5db bass boost. With EQ if you're into that kinda thing these are an end game closed back and from memory compete with VC & Stellia. Resolve's review of these from the Headphone Show is spot on.
The Planar driver in the XC gives much more defined imaging. Much higher resolution. Better sense of isolated instruments. Vocals are very intimate compared to the Radiance. Pretty big weight difference.

If you've never owned a Planar I'd start (depending on budget) with either the Sundara 2020 which I own and absolutely love or the Audeze LCDX 2021 which is my end game Audeze. Both are phenomenal for the price but both are open so i'm not sure if you're just looking at Closed-Back

Jul 13, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #531 of 1,465
Reading these comments and comparisons with the Atticus has certainly caught my attention. I still haven't spent over 600 bucks on a set of cans, new or used. However, I think may in the near future. I recently stumbled upon the Quad Era-1, and it's pretty awesome. Does wonders for rock and metal, and I'm not a big fan of planars. Best closed back I've heard is the Magni, but it ran a bit too hot up top. From there, people have highly recommended the Atticus. I'm set on open backs with the Quad and SR2, but haven't found the right closed back yet. Can anyone go into a little greater detail comparing and contrasting the Radiance with the Atticus? I've tried the 7200, E-mu Teak, and Magni. I've also considered the 9200, but after owning both the 5200 and 7200, I'm not convinced this would be the right direction.
I don't have an atticus but I just got a 9200. The 9200 feels like the more intimate headphone. It has much better bass, timbre and vocals sound more natural. The 9200 is smoother and warmer. It has a wider soundstage but flatter in depth, probably due to how the mids are tuned. The Radiance has better depth but not width. Vocals separate from the background better. I think clarity and instrument separation is better with the Radiance. I like the highs better on the 9200.

tested on Quidelix and Xduoo 602

Honestly I'm not sure which one I like better.

Edit: Been doing more side by side. I think I like the Radiance better, more dynamic and open. I'd say for the price the Radiance wins, if price were the same it would be a toss up. It comes down to whether you like punchy bass vs smooth bass and whether you prioritize dynamics vs natural timbre.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #532 of 1,465
I own both the Radiance as well as the Atticus and have done a side by side detailed comparison of both.

The Radiance to my ears is handily the better headphone in almost every category. The Atticus sounds muddy and bloated in the bass by comparison. The Radiance has much more detailed resolution, much better slam, faster transients and more nicer tonality. Better micro and macro dynamics and overall the better bang for buck.

Atticus is very warm and easily ZMF’s darkest headphone. I think it lacks detail and is low on resolution. That being said I think it’s better built than the Radiance. More comfortable even though it’s heavier and with the right pairing of Dac/Amp I’m sure it can surprise.

If your budget is under $600 I’m not sure where you should be looking. Maybe a used Celestee or an Elegia with Celestee pads if you’re into EQ.
Thanks for doing the Radiance/Atticus comparison! I have the Radiance (with a Norne Drausk, similar to you) as my main closed-backs and Elears as my open-backs.

As the warmer sound signature appeals to me, I was considering the Atticus as a future purchase- while I may still do so, I’ll temper expectations around the overall resolution. If I recall, though, ZMF has a good return policy.

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #533 of 1,465
I think with Atticus you will be surprised with a good chain. I am powering them with my pass x350.8, he9 preamp and its surprisingly detailed. I agree its no detail king but it gives a decent amount while having incredible smoothness and richness and a beautiful timbre. It also has absolutely crushing and huge amounts of bass so its fantastic with edm/techno. It had more bass quantity than Abyss TC when I directly compared them.

Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if VC is overall the better headphone, I have never heard it though. Right now I got HD800S and Atticus as my main cans.

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #534 of 1,465

I don't necessarily have a budget, just looking for the right closed back without needing to donate a kidney. Would you choose the Atticus or Radiance for for rock and metal, such as 80s glam metal and hair rock? Also, just how hard is it to drive the Atticus? Will a full watt push it to full potential?

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #535 of 1,465
I don't necessarily have a budget, just looking for the right closed back without needing to donate a kidney. Would you choose the Atticus or Radiance for for rock and metal, such as 80s glam metal and hair rock? Also, just how hard is it to drive the Atticus? Will a full watt push it to full potential?
A full watt will be fine with the Atticus. It's surprisingly sensitive despite its 300 ohm resistance.

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #536 of 1,465
If you've never owned a Planar I'd start (depending on budget) with either the Sundara 2020 which I own and absolutely love or the Audeze LCDX 2021 which is my end game Audeze. Both are phenomenal for the price but both are open so i'm not sure if you're just looking at Closed-Back
Sorry in advance if this is off topic for this thread..
I actually just got a used Elegia and plan to pad swap and eq as per your mention. Can't wait to try it. Resolve/headphoneshow on YouTube has been super helpful info.

My question is in regards to the Sundara vs LCDX. I've always wanted an LCDX... But I've been looking at the Sundara a lot lately as it's such a massive price difference and seems like many love them. Id imagine the LCDX is more detailed and has more/deeper bass? From what I gather. But how much of a difference is it? Could the Sundara still be considered neutral/reference like the LCDX (with EQ). Many producers/engineers seem to trust/use the X. I'm just wondering if in your experience, the Sundara comes anywhere close, or if I should just save up for the X. The only planars I've ever owned were the he400 years ago and they were initially wow for just how different they sounded but they were poor in so many ways.

Back on the Radiance... One of the best looking headphones I've ever seen (along with the new Clear MG). Just wish they didn't have the Bentley logo hahaha

Jul 14, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #537 of 1,465
Back on the Radiance... One of the best looking headphones I've ever seen (along with the new Clear MG). Just wish they didn't have the Bentley logo hahaha
Grab a sharpie, problem solved ; )

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #538 of 1,465
Hi everyone,
Looking for a new portable rig touse with iphone and apple hires. The dac/amp will be the sparrow and i am thinking about either the aeon 2 closed or noir or the focal radiance (with balanced cable).
I find it hard though to find any good comparisons of these headphones. Headfonia or headphonics had some brie fmentions but not much.
Has anyone compared these or can anyone compare these?
Thanks in advance
Greetings, Anouk,
Hi, I have the Aeon 2 Closed and the Radiance. The A2C was my favorite (owned) closed back, but when I got the Radiance it jumped comfortably ahead. All around better sound and, for me, better comfort too. Not going to do a full review, but for me the Radiance is the boss. I sold 2 headphones and 2 DAC/amps to help justify the cost of the Radiance, and I'd do it again.

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #539 of 1,465
Hi, I have the Aeon 2 Closed and the Radiance. The A2C was my favorite (owned) closed back, but when I got the Radiance it jumped comfortably ahead. All around better sound and, for me, better comfort too. Not going to do a full review, but for me the Radiance is the boss. I sold 2 headphones and 2 DAC/amps to help justify the cost of the Radiance, and I'd do it again.

That's interesting because I just purchased my Radiance a little over a week ago and I was having a bit of buyer's remorse because of the cost, they are my first HiFi headphone unless you count the Audeze Penrose (but I don't). Before I purchased them I was going back and forth between them and the DCA Aeon Noire. I actually ordered a set of the Aeon Noire to compare to the Radiance and returned the Aeon today. To my ears the Radiance sounds overall better, the Noires had a bit more sub-bass to my ears but the Radiance was....radiant. I think I've started to go down the HiFi rabbit hole as I now am looking for compliments to the Radiance and already looking at upgrading from my iFi ZEN DAC V2 after only having it for a week. As long as my wife doesn't find out, I should be fine :)

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #540 of 1,465
That's interesting because I just purchased my Radiance a little over a week ago and I was having a bit of buyer's remorse because of the cost, they are my first HiFi headphone unless you count the Audeze Penrose (but I don't). Before I purchased them I was going back and forth between them and the DCA Aeon Noire. I actually ordered a set of the Aeon Noire to compare to the Radiance and returned the Aeon today. To my ears the Radiance sounds overall better, the Noires had a bit more sub-bass to my ears but the Radiance was....radiant. I think I've started to go down the HiFi rabbit hole as I now am looking for compliments to the Radiance and already looking at upgrading from my iFi ZEN DAC V2 after only having it for a week. As long as my wife doesn't find out, I should be fine :)
If you are willing to enter the realm of tubes, the Feliks Audio Echo (either mk I or mk II) will work beautifully with the Radiance.

I have a mk I and a Violectric V200 solid state amp, and the Echo mk I bests the V200 by a noticeable margin, despite the difference in retail price (I bought both amps pre-owned).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back