Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Jul 15, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #541 of 1,465
Can anyone compare this headphone with the Quad Era-1? I'm strongly considering this or the Atticus for my 1st headphone over a grand, and the Quads are kinda my benchmark thus far into my journey.

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #542 of 1,465
I think I've started to go down the HiFi rabbit hole as I now am looking for compliments to the Radiance and already looking at upgrading from my iFi ZEN DAC V2 after only having it for a week. As long as my wife doesn't find out, I should be fine :)
I'm using the Ifi Micro iDSD Black Label with the Radiance and it is a very nice pairing! I think they're available for reasonable prices nowadays, since the signature and diablo were released.

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #543 of 1,465
If you are willing to enter the realm of tubes, the Feliks Audio Echo (either mk I or mk II) will work beautifully with the Radiance.

I have a mk I and a Violectric V200 solid state amp, and the Echo mk I bests the V200 by a noticeable margin, despite the difference in retail price (I bought both amps pre-owned).

Thanks for the recommendation. Tube amps are appealing to me and I will have to look into that further.

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #544 of 1,465
Thanks for the recommendation. Tube amps are appealing to me and I will have to look into that further.
Cool! The Echo mk I comes up from time to time used, and will likely run about $500.

I adore mine, the only downside is warm-up/cool-down time, hence getting a warm-sounding/high-quality SS amp for shorter listening sessions. 😊

Jul 15, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #545 of 1,465
The Hagerman Tuba is a terrific match with Focals.

Jul 15, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #546 of 1,465
The Hagerman Tuba is a terrific match with Focals.
And I think used units of that model sell for around the $500 mark as well, giving you at least two reasonable “budget” options (in quotes since people outside our hobby (obsession?) often marvel at what we spend).

Jul 17, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #547 of 1,465
I don't necessarily have a budget, just looking for the right closed back without needing to donate a kidney. Would you choose the Atticus or Radiance for for rock and metal, such as 80s glam metal and hair rock? Also, just how hard is it to drive the Atticus? Will a full watt push it to full potential?
Radiance would undoubtedly be my first choice if you can find one for Rock and Metal. That said the Atticus like other Head-Fiers have stated above scale with better equipment and do have a lovely timbre that the Radiance can't match. The Radiance far surpasses the Atticus in so many other areas that I'd have a hard time with giving an Atticus recommendation to anyone unless they have the absolute perfect system to pair with it.

Jul 17, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #548 of 1,465
That's interesting because I just purchased my Radiance a little over a week ago and I was having a bit of buyer's remorse because of the cost, they are my first HiFi headphone unless you count the Audeze Penrose (but I don't). Before I purchased them I was going back and forth between them and the DCA Aeon Noire. I actually ordered a set of the Aeon Noire to compare to the Radiance and returned the Aeon today. To my ears the Radiance sounds overall better, the Noires had a bit more sub-bass to my ears but the Radiance was....radiant. I think I've started to go down the HiFi rabbit hole as I now am looking for compliments to the Radiance and already looking at upgrading from my iFi ZEN DAC V2 after only having it for a week. As long as my wife doesn't find out, I should be fine :)
The Radiance is pretty easy to drive sounds great with many different amps and scales well. I have run mine with my Btr5 balanced, little bear balanced , BL mirco iDSD, M11 pro balanced, woo w7, liquid Platinum balanced , pro iCAN and pro iDSD both balanced.

Jul 21, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #549 of 1,465
Jul 22, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #551 of 1,465
Jul 25, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #552 of 1,465
While I adore the Radiance, the creaking of the headband is starting to become a deal-breaker for me. Every time I move my head, it reminds me that I'm wearing a pair of (very nice) headphones rather than disappearing on my head.

Jul 25, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #553 of 1,465
While I adore the Radiance, the creaking of the headband is starting to become a deal-breaker for me. Every time I move my head, it reminds me that I'm wearing a pair of (very nice) headphones rather than disappearing on my head.
I think you should talk to support or send yours back. After reading your post I put my Radiance on and twisted it in every which way and no creak, no sound at all.

Jul 25, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #554 of 1,465
It's the one issue I have with the Clear MG. I wish FOCAL would resolve it. The creaking is getting pretty nuts.

Jul 25, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #555 of 1,465
It's the one issue I have with the Clear MG. I wish FOCAL would resolve it. The creaking is getting pretty nuts.
It might sound like a finicky quibble, but it really does detract from your enjoyment of a headphone. Planars with 'crinkle' like the HEDDphone are also off the table for me due to this reason. I adore the sound of the ATH-ADX5000, but there's significant unit variance with regards to gimbal creaking - and it's probably the only reason why I haven't gone and bought a new pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back