Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
Apr 2, 2024 at 6:59 AM Post #1,456 of 1,465
I just got the all perforated one for my Clear OG. Very good indeed and thank you for your suggestion. Haven't put on Radiance yet. It is much better than my another brown leather one from AliExpress. I even like it more than the Dekoni Elite Velour. You save me a lot of money from buying the original pads.
Hallo
I can see You have the Clear OG and Radiance.
I had the Clear OG but replaced it with the Denon AH D9200. For me Denon had more open sound - that gave the soundtrack and classical music more energy, brought back the live to the instruments.
How would You describe the differences between the Clear OG and Radiance?
Can

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:32 AM Post #1,457 of 1,465
Hallo
I can see You have the Clear OG and Radiance.
I had the Clear OG but replaced it with the Denon AH D9200. For me Denon had more open sound - that gave the soundtrack and classical music more energy, brought back the live to the instruments.
How would You describe the differences between the Clear OG and Radiance?
Can
Radiance is more intimate feeling, but not necessary a bad thing, bass is fuller and best for electronic music like Daft Punk, Clear OG sounds good for all kind of music. To me, Radiance and OG Clear both are good, no winner here. For system synergy, Radiance performs more natural on my SS Beyer A2, bass my be too much on tube HP8 sometimes. Clear OG performs excellent with HP8mk2, I hope more people can try HP8mk2 with Clear, it is really good indeed. Hope this help.

Apr 2, 2024 at 7:39 AM Post #1,458 of 1,465
Radiance is more intimate feeling, but not necessary a bad thing, bass is fuller and best for electronic music like Daft Punk, Clear OG sounds good for all kind of music. To me, Radiance and OG Clear both are good, no winner here. For system synergy, Radiance performs more natural on my SS Beyer A2, bass my be too much on tube HP8 sometimes. Clear OG performs excellent with HP8mk2, I hope more people can try HP8mk2 with Clear, it is really good indeed. Hope this help.
So it means they do sound similar.
That means, the Radians goes off the list.
Thanks

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #1,459 of 1,465
I h
So it means they do sound similar.
That means, the Radians goes off the list.
Thanks
I'm a Clear MG and Denon AH-D9200 owner. I had the Radiance at home for around 10 days, just to give me something different from the Denon. I didn't want something better per se just a little different. It was something of a disappointment really, very little substance and thin sounding. Perhaps I was tainted by using the Clears, which I find excellent, but they came nowhere near to the Denons in detail nor depth. The Radiance were returned.

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #1,460 of 1,465
I h

I'm a Clear MG and Denon AH-D9200 owner. I had the Radiance at home for around 10 days, just to give me something different from the Denon. I didn't want something better per se just a little different. It was something of a disappointment really, very little substance and thin sounding. Perhaps I was tainted by using the Clears, which I find excellent, but they came nowhere near to the Denons in detail nor depth. The Radiance were returned.
So it looks like i should be keeping myself away from Focal.
Maybe I shouldn't be selling the Denon.
Too late now. The search continues.
Thanks for the info.

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #1,461 of 1,465
I h

I wouldn't describe the Radiance as thin sounding, but they are tuned fairly close to the Harman. Headphones that have lower level than the Harman curve in the 2-4khz area will sound warmer, more laid back and more mid forward, but generally at the cost of some nuances in voices, saxophone etc. Both the Clear MG and 9200 have quite significant dips compared to the Harman curve so anything following the Harman curve will be perceived as thin if you use those as reference.

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #1,462 of 1,465
I wouldn't describe the Radiance as thin sounding, but they are tuned fairly close to the Harman. Headphones that have lower level than the Harman curve in the 2-4khz area will sound warmer, more laid back and more mid forward, but generally at the cost of some nuances in voices, saxophone etc. Both the Clear MG and 9200 have quite significant dips compared to the Harman curve so anything following the Harman curve will be perceived as thin if you use those as reference.
It's like everything you try, it's personal preference. To me they sounded too measured and they were not what I was looking for and I didn't think they really compared that well to the Denons. To be honest if I had to sacrifice a pair of headphones it wouldn't be the Denons. I'm still looking for a second pair of closed backs, concentrating this time on planars and waiting for an audition of the new Meze Liric 2 which will be tested against the Stellias, just in case but don't tell the missus.

Your comment on voices is pretty relevant as my favourite genres are folk rock and singer songwriters and most of the albums I buy, including SACD, are well recorded and not effected by the loudness wars.

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #1,463 of 1,465
Exactly, personal preferences.
I did listened the Stellia, against the Clear OG. Wanted a closed one. But it did not wowed me. If the price would be 1500 I would buy it. Did hear the Empyrian, first edition and as well, could not justify the 3000 price, even de Utopia did not presented anything special. Sometimes when I read how people are praising these headphones, my reaction is just what are they saying?

Apr 2, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,464 of 1,465
It's like everything you try, it's personal preference. To me they sounded too measured and they were not what I was looking for and I didn't think they really compared that well to the Denons. To be honest if I had to sacrifice a pair of headphones it wouldn't be the Denons. I'm still looking for a second pair of closed backs, concentrating this time on planars and waiting for an audition of the new Meze Liric 2 which will be tested against the Stellias, just in case but don't tell the missus.

Your comment on voices is pretty relevant as my favourite genres are folk rock and singer songwriters and most of the albums I buy, including SACD, are well recorded and not effected by the loudness wars.
Personal preference is everything in this hobby as it is about musical enjoyment. Personally I love the Radiance and they grow so much when putting them on better amps and frequency response is close to ideal for me. Swapping out the crappy cable that Focal supplied also made a difference, e.g. using a cable for a D7200 was a noticeable upgrade on the Radiance (same pin out and plug types). I do run mine balanced with an aftermarket cable.

The Radiance is actually slightly warmer than a strict Harman curve tuning with a bass bump and slightly lowered treble. A true Harman curve tuning would sound a bit thinner. If you feel the Radiance are too thin then you will probably want avoid headphones that follow the Harman curve closely and rather look for headphones that dip somewhat in the 2-5khz range compared to the Harman curve. Frequency response isn't everything, but it gives a good indication of the tuning balance of a headphone.

Oratory1990 has a good list of headphone measurements. If you have access to a 7 or 10 band PEQ then you can tune the AH-D9200 to what would measure like a Harman tuned headphone and then play around with the frequency response to get a better idea of how the frequency balance of different headphones would be. It will not be exact as there are more factors involved in how sound is reproduced, but it will give you a bit more information about what you do and don't like in frequency response.

Apr 21, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #1,465 of 1,465
Hello fellow Radiance users, could you please help me with a question? Do any of you experience sound leakage with your Radiance, especially in quiet environments?
I'm looking to buy a closed-back for use in the office, was considering the DCA AEON because of its good isolation and tuning, but unfortunately, there aren't any reasonably priced available in my area... so I'm turning to radiance now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back