Focal For Bentley Radiance Headphones
May 26, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #499 of 1,465
In case it’s helpful for anyone considering the purchase of Radiances: I just spent a blissful hour on the coach with my wife while she was reading and I was listening, using my Oppo HA-2SE fed by an iPod Classic (digital out with an ADL (Furutech) cable). Until I get a pair of adapters for my Norne Drausk cables, I’m defaulting to Synergistic Research Foundation cables, which are damn good in their own right… but I digress.

As it’s getting late, I stayed with calmer stuff, listening to parts of:
- Foo Fighters’ “In Your Honor” Disc 2 (mostly acoustic tracks)
- Peter Gabriel’s “New Blood” (some of his major songs rearranged and recorded with a symphonic orchestra and exceptionally well-recorded)
- Massive Attack’s “Mezzanine” (had to get some BASS with “Angel” and “Man Next Door”)
- Damien Rice’s “My Favorite Faded Fantasy” (bless that man for gracing our ears with his wonderful recordings!)

All tracks were 16/44, due to the iPod, not the Oppo.

A few things stood out as I loved every moment:
- The HA-2SE is a remarkable little device- I know there are DAPs out there that can eat it for breakfast, but holy cow- that’s great sound for not a lot of money ($ 300 new, if I recall).
- The Radiances do a heck of a lot right and very little wrong, to my ears. Clarity is really good, the warm/rich timbre is great if you are OK with straying from neutrality (I am!), soundstage is pretty good for a closed-back pair, the deep bass is very good (though you have to like bass to enjoy the Radiance- it may be too much for some!), and the Focal dynamics and S L A M remain from the “house sound” of the brand. They also scale very well with better cables, allowing the Foundations to bring forth more detail throughout the FR.

Boy, it is amazing to enjoy end-game-level SQ and music on one’s couch, toes tapping all the way. We are a fortunate bunch, folks. Take good care, and enjoy the music!

May 26, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #500 of 1,465
Very nice write-up @AudioDuck !
Your story sparked a question in me, I hope you guys can help me out. I'm looking for a balanced cable for the Radiance (4.4mm). Now I've researched, but due to the huge amount of information I'm a bit lost, especially since I'm not looking to spend tons of money and live in EU. Can anybody help me out? What is an affordable but good cable, compatible with Radiance and easy to get in EU?

Thaks, and cheers!

May 26, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #501 of 1,465
Your story sparked a question in me, I hope you guys can help me out. I'm looking for a balanced cable for the Radiance (4.4mm). Now I've researched, but due to the huge amount of information I'm a bit lost, especially since I'm not looking to spend tons of money and live in EU. Can anybody help me out? What is an affordable but good cable, compatible with Radiance and easy to get in EU?

Thaks, and cheers!
Meze 99 cables should be compatible. The aftermarket ones are relatively affordable here in the states, I'm assuming the same there.

May 26, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #502 of 1,465

Thaks, and cheers!
Glad to hear it was a helpful anecdote! 😊🎧

For decent cables in the EU, Forza Audioworks (based in Poland I believe) make high-quality aftermarket cables that aren’t horribly expensive, yet are very well-made and provide a notable sound quality improvement.

A friend of mine got their hybrid cable for his Audeze LCD-Xs and has been very happy. Forza makes cables for all mainstream headphone models, including Focal’s lineup.

May 27, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #504 of 1,465
Meze 99 cables should be compatible. The aftermarket ones are relatively affordable here in the states, I'm assuming the same there.
Confirming that they are. I use the 2.5mm balanced one with my Radiance.

May 30, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #505 of 1,465
May 30, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #506 of 1,465
Yes, my pads are uneven also i have posted about it a few posts back, do yourself a favor and get the dekoni hybrids.
When I owned the Radiance both pads felt incredible but crumpled the moment you put it on your head and the clamp force took effect. Idk about the Dekoni hybrids but the stock pads just aren't it.

May 31, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #507 of 1,465
I've switched to the Dekoni LE Stellia pads. My pads weren't uneven, they just crumple to nothing. I took some pics with both pads with my iPad Pro 11 with keyboard case (~1kg) sitting on them below. It makes the Dekoni's look stiff, but they really aren't.

IMG_4325.jpeg

IMG_4329.jpeg

Last edited:
May 31, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #508 of 1,465
I find that the Radiance pads are probably the nicest stock pads of any headphones I've come across - I really don't feel the urge to change them

Jun 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #509 of 1,465
Following, just got a pair! How are these not getting any traction? Some of the best DD closed backs I've come across so far!

Jun 1, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #510 of 1,465
Following, just got a pair! How are these not getting any traction? Some of the best DD closed backs I've come across so far!
Agreed, I adore mine. They do well both with tubes and SS amps, too.

They are not perhaps the bargain a $400 pair of Elears are (ridiculous value/performance ratio, especially with upgraded cables and a good amp)- BUT for about a $1,000 pre-owned/mint condition you get a big chunk of Stellia performance AND better looks? Come on!

That said, some folks may take umbrage to the strong mid bass- but that’s part of the fun for many. The ZMF Atticus units that show up pre-owned disappear in minutes for a reason- and while I have never compared the Radiance to the Atticus, all listening notes indicate they are very, very similar in sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back