Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Mar 3, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #3,603 of 4,879
Just a quick follow up. People were certainly correct about the Limited Edition Stellia pads. It is like listening to the stock pads with some added body/bass. Definitely a worthy addition, even if you have to buy used.

I bought a set locally from a guy that was using them with Clears. I asked why he was doing that and he mentioned that it was a popular mod on the Clears thread. I had no idea. I forgot to ask him how they worked for him.:ksc75smile:

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #3,605 of 4,879
Does anyone here actually like the Elegia? I received a new set around a week ago and have enjoyed the Elegia's detail, deep earcups, soft earpads and decent passive noise isolation. Decent for gaming, too (I play casual solo shooters, not competitive).

For reference, I'm coming from K712 Pro, Fidelio X3, and HD 660S (super dark compared to Elegia) and do not have a frame of reference of other headphones in the Elegia's original ~$900 price class.

I was considering the Dan Clark Aeon closed on Drop for around the same price but was wary of the glued-on earpads and leather suspension strap (do not love it on the K712 Pro).

Mar 5, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #3,606 of 4,879
Does anyone here actually like the Elegia? I received a new set around a week ago and have enjoyed the Elegia's detail, deep earcups, soft earpads and decent passive noise isolation. Decent for gaming, too (I play casual solo shooters, not competitive).

For reference, I'm coming from K712 Pro, Fidelio X3, and HD 660S (super dark compared to Elegia) and do not have a frame of reference of other headphones in the Elegia's original ~$900 price class.

I was considering the Dan Clark Aeon closed on Drop for around the same price but was wary of the glued-on earpads and leather suspension strap (do not love it on the K712 Pro).
I love my Elegia! A lot of people online say they sound weird and I definitely got that feeling initially but once the burn-in was done, they started to sound like the most natural thing in the world to my ears.
I also come from Fidelio X3 and Elegia is better in every aspect of the sound to my ears, including soundstage.

I have "upgraded" mine with a Meze balanced cable and a pair of Dekoni's fenestrated pads and they sound even better compared to stock. I would say that they can still compete in the $1000 to $1500 price bracket.

Mar 5, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #3,607 of 4,879
I love my Elegia! A lot of people online say they sound weird and I definitely got that feeling initially but once the burn-in was done, they started to sound like the most natural thing in the world to my ears.
I also come from Fidelio X3 and Elegia is better in every aspect of the sound to my ears, including soundstage.

I have "upgraded" mine with a Meze balanced cable and a pair of Dekoni's fenestrated pads and they sound even better compared to stock. I would say that they can still compete in the $1000 to $1500 price bracket.
I did notice one of the biggest changes of a "burn in" over any headphone I owned, at first I wasn't a fan, now I am in love with them, that said I cannot run them on my HDV 820 due to output impedance so they definitely sound the best on my Oppo HA-1, but I find myself running them from the Micro iDSD BL, the bass boost and all the switches on it are absolutely insane on the Elegia, I don't use eq so I venture my experience with this dac+amp on elegia is superior to what I would experience with a Clear and a normal dac+amp and maybe even close to un-eq'ed regular dac+amp and Utopia, both of those due to the price alone I would feel bad using on such a "cheap" unit vs my other more expensive sources without so many features

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #3,608 of 4,879

Absolutely! I enjoy my Elegia a lot. I also own the original Aeon Closed which has a different sound signature, but I enjoy that too. I think the Drop version has a slightly different tuning that the original Aeon Closed.

Mar 5, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #3,609 of 4,879

I like them. When I wear them I usually keep listening to music for plenty of time. With the Stellia pads, equilizer and a balanced cable they are really solid.

But 9/10 times I use the aeon 2 noire.

Mar 5, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #3,610 of 4,879
I really like my Elegia's! I am wearing them right now. Even better with the Dekoni Stellia pads. I will be sticking with these.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #3,611 of 4,879

I enjoy my Elegias (Dekoni Fenstrated pads, Meze 4.4mm balanced cable) driven by the RU6 out of my iPad Pro.
About 50/50 time-wise with my LCD-XC (2019) out of Fiio M11Pro. :)

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #3,612 of 4,879

Love mine! Apple Music Lossless and running them with Dekoni Sheepskin Earpads (I like a little extra thump), Meze Silver Plated Balanced Cable (4.4mm), and an iFi hip-dac2. I'll probably order the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin Earpads and test those out as well. :L3000:

Mar 5, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #3,613 of 4,879
Mar 5, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #3,614 of 4,879

I like -- not love -- mine. The detail retrieval and imaging are excellent. The bass punch is underrated, only evident when called. The comfort is fine. They're also gorgeous in appearance, which isn't important but still a nice plus.

My only quibbles with the Elegia are the weird tuning (odd spike in the mids) and the overall metallic timbre.

If the Elegia were tuned better, they would be a knockout at $900. I bought them for $380 at Adorama and don't feel cheated at all. But there's no way in hell they're worth the original retail price of $900. It's also telling that most of the people who post in here with heavy affection for the Elegia either have swapped pads or cables, or EQ them. That's telling and only reinforces my belief these cans have weird timbre and tuning.

Again, I like my Elegia. But of the three cans in my collection -- Elegia, HD 6XX and Edition XS -- the Elegia will be first on the chopping block once I decide to start churning to fund an upgrade.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #3,615 of 4,879
I like -- not love -- mine. The detail retrieval and imaging are excellent. The bass punch is underrated, only evident when called. The comfort is fine.

My only quibbles with the Elegia are a weird spike in the mids and the overall metallic timbre.

If the Elegia were tuned better, they would be a knockout at $900. I bought them for $380 at Adorama and don't feel cheated at all. But there's no way in hell they're worth the original retail price of $900.

Still, of the three cans in my collection -- Elegia, HD 6XX and Edition XS -- the Elegia will be first on the chopping block once I decide to start churning to fund an upgrade.
That is the allure of the Elegia, part of it may be knowing it is said to be "discontinued" despite being on sale for so long, that it might never come around again.... That said, there is a good chance you come around to if not love, appreciate the tuning of the Elegia, and if you try the Clear you realize that headphone is often said by many to be the best at $1000, and many others to easily be top3/5.... The Elegia is close to it both in performance and tone.... I am not saying I wouldn't have ever agreed with you, a year ago, maybe even 6 months ago I would have, but now I wholeheartedly disagree, while it is not my favorite tuning, not by a long shot... I appreciate it and also do like the tuning now, I do think it's refined and perhaps not $900 but I think it would be competitive at $700-750, which in the audio world means it could sell for $900, did, and I understand why. I would take it over Celestee, Elear, and Elex any day of the week. For many of us it remains a closed back, insanely useful (portable, good price, good build) backup, some of us grow to like it a lot, some appreciate it, and some consider it just OK with the benefit of technical performance, and we will sell cans we think we like more instead and keep the Elegia, if that isn't liking something(even when I 'didn't like' the tuning) I don't know what is. I hope the Elegia grows on you as it did to me!

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back