Focal Elegia - what do you think?
Mar 5, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #3,616 of 4,891
That is the allure of the Elegia, part of it may be knowing it is said to be "discontinued" despite being on sale for so long, that it might never come around again.... That said, there is a good chance you come around to if not love, appreciate the tuning of the Elegia, and if you try the Clear you realize that headphone is often said by many to be the best at $1000, and many others to easily be top3/5.... The Elegia is close to it both in performance and tone.... I am not saying I wouldn't have ever agreed with you, a year ago, maybe even 6 months ago I would have, but now I wholeheartedly disagree, while it is not my favorite tuning, not by a long shot... I appreciate it and also do like the tuning now, I do think it's refined and perhaps not $900 but I think it would be competitive at $700-750, which in the audio world means it could sell for $900, did, and I understand why. I would take it over Celestee, Elear, and Elex any day of the week. For many of us it remains a closed back, insanely useful (portable, good price, good build) backup, some of us grow to like it a lot, some appreciate it, and some consider it just OK with the benefit of technical performance, and we will sell cans we think we like more instead and keep the Elegia, if that isn't liking something(even when I 'didn't like' the tuning) I don't know what is. I hope the Elegia grows on you as it did to me!

:)
Well, if anything, the Elegia is shrinking on me over time. I LOVED them out of the box due to the stupendous detail that far exceeded anything in my collection at that time, but the deficiencies in the tuning for me were magnified when I bought the Edition XS to compliment my HD 6XX. The Edition XS has better tuning, just about as much detail and far more present bass.

I know people love to crap on the 6XX for the "Sennheiser veil" and the rolled-off treble, but there's a reason why many audiophiles keep a pair of them in their collection or sell and rebuy them more than once -- the tuning is just terrific. Nothing offensive, nothing grating -- just a relaxed, balanced listen you can enjoy without fatigue for hours at a time.

I'm not suffering from "upgrade-itis" now, so the Elegia may stay in my collection for a while. I'm not looking to sell them, but they almost certainly will be the first to go unless something changes.

I don't need a closed-back, as all of my listening is done in isolation. I just wanted the different design and sound signature of a quality closed-back dynamic. Again, no regrets about the Elegia at $380. But I would have felt a bit robbed if I paid $900 for these.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #3,617 of 4,891
Well, if anything, the Elegia is shrinking on me over time. I LOVED them out of the box due to the stupendous detail that far exceeded anything in my collection at that time, but the deficiencies in the tuning for me were magnified when I bought the Edition XS to compliment my HD 6XX. The Edition XS has better tuning, just about as much detail and far more present bass.

I know people love to crap on the 6XX for the "Sennheiser veil" and the rolled-off treble, but there's a reason why many audiophiles keep a pair of them in their collection or sell and rebuy them more than once -- the tuning is just terrific. Nothing offensive, nothing grating -- just a relaxed, balanced listen you can enjoy without fatigue for hours at a time.

I'm not suffering from "upgrade-itis" now, so the Elegia may stay in my collection for a while. I'm not looking to sell them, but they almost certainly will be the first to go unless something changes.

I don't need a closed-back, as all of my listening is done in isolation. I just wanted the different design and sound signature of a quality closed-back dynamic. Again, no regrets about the Elegia at $380. But I would have felt a bit robbed if I paid $900 for these.
I mean the Edition XS is modeled on he Ananda which is one of the best tuned headphones in the world.... Imo it also beats the HD600 the same way you described the Elegia and for what it's worth I don't like any of the HD6 series :sweat_smile:

I know I am in the minority.

Mar 5, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #3,618 of 4,891
I like -- not love -- mine. The detail retrieval and imaging are excellent. The bass punch is underrated, only evident when called. The comfort is fine. They're also gorgeous in appearance, which isn't important but still a nice plus.

My only quibbles with the Elegia are the weird tuning (odd spike in the mids) and the overall metallic timbre.

If the Elegia were tuned better, they would be a knockout at $900. I bought them for $380 at Adorama and don't feel cheated at all. But there's no way in hell they're worth the original retail price of $900. It's also telling that most of the people who post in here with heavy affection for the Elegia either have swapped pads or cables, or EQ them. That's telling and only reinforces my belief these cans have weird timbre and tuning.

Again, I like my Elegia. But of the three cans in my collection -- Elegia, HD 6XX and Edition XS -- the Elegia will be first on the chopping block once I decide to start churning to fund an upgrade.
I really like mine, especially with the upgraded pads.

But it is not even in the top five of my collection, not even close.

It is a nice closed back with good detail. I loaded up on closed backs this past year looking to see what would work for mobile use or taking to work.

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #3,620 of 4,891
I really like mine, especially with the upgraded pads.

But it is not even in the top five of my collection, not even close.

It is a nice closed back with good detail. I loaded up on closed backs this past year looking to see what would work for mobile use or taking to work.
@Shane D you are now socially obligated to list your top 5 rankings. You have no choice. 😉

Mar 5, 2022 at 9:25 PM Post #3,621 of 4,891

I generally don't disagree with you, except that I enjoy the Elegia with aftermarket pads more than I enjoyed my hd650/hd58x.

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #3,622 of 4,891
What are your favorites among that group? Any really good ones around $600 or less?

Thanks!
I really like the Elegia's and the Beyer T5's. Their strengths are opposite and they are a fun package. I am currently rotating both. Simply put,
T5's = bass over mids
Elegia's = mids over bass
Good off a DAP or my LG V30, but better off a nice desktop system.

The T60 Argon's are my cheapest closed backs. They need some power and bass boost to sound their best. But on the right amp, they are awesome! That means though that they are limited to desk use. They LOVE the iFi.

CFA Cascades make me giggle. And they are a ton of fun! Headband is horrible though and makes it non-mobile. Easy to drive and a wall of bass. Miles Davis has never sounded more different. Never last a week on them though. I can't do all bass, all the time.

My most complete, balanced closed backs are the LSA HP-2's. $899.00, though. The most articulate headphones I have ever heard.

Mar 5, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #3,623 of 4,891
@Shane D you are now socially obligated to list your top 5 rankings. You have no choice. 😉
In my collection:
1) Grado GH2's
2) Focal Elex's
3) HiFiman HE6se V2's
4) LSA HP-2's
5) CFA Cascades. Shorter sessions whereas I can wear the other models for a week to ten days.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #3,625 of 4,891
Does anyone here actually like the Elegia? I received a new set around a week ago and have enjoyed the Elegia's detail, deep earcups, soft earpads and decent passive noise isolation. Decent for gaming, too (I play casual solo shooters, not competitive).

For reference, I'm coming from K712 Pro, Fidelio X3, and HD 660S (super dark compared to Elegia) and do not have a frame of reference of other headphones in the Elegia's original ~$900 price class.

I was considering the Dan Clark Aeon closed on Drop for around the same price but was wary of the glued-on earpads and leather suspension strap (do not love it on the K712 Pro).
I really like my Elegia!

At first moment i was a bit disappointed.

My headphone before Elegia was Shure SRH940. I love the punch of the shure and the focal didn't performed that well in this section at the beginning.

The rest was good from beginning.
But after 50 h burn-in it was like an different headphone!
The punch was a lot better (even better than on the Shure), bass overall solid and detailed, mids and vocal awesome, the highs detailed without annoying peaks the soundstage was gigantic compared to the SRH940.
Just WOW

Later i ordered an Celestee because i read a lot positive reviews. But, after burn-in of something about 60 h the didn't opened up as well as the Elegia.

The soundstage was a lot smaller then on Elegia, bass and punch was good but not that precise like on the Elegia, the vocals didn't convince me. The highs on both are similar to my ears. The noise isolation is better on the Celestee. With the dekoni stellia Pads they sound almost equal, Eligia still has better soundstage.
So, overall is Elegia a better headphone IMHO with even better price.

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #3,626 of 4,891
I really like my Elegia!

At first moment i was a bit disappointed.

My headphone before Elegia was Shure SRH940. I love the punch of the shure and the focal didn't performed that well in this section at the beginning.

The rest was good from beginning.
But after 50 h burn-in it was like an different headphone!
The punch was a lot better (even better than on the Shure), bass overall solid and detailed, mids and vocal awesome, the highs detailed without annoying peaks the soundstage was gigantic compared to the SRH940.
Just WOW

Later i ordered an Celestee because i read a lot positive reviews. But, after burn-in of something about 60 h the didn't opened up as well as the Elegia.

The soundstage was a lot smaller then on Elegia, bass and punch was good but not that precise like on the Elegia, the vocals didn't convince me. The highs on both are similar to my ears. The noise isolation is better on the Celestee. With the dekoni stellia Pads they sound almost equal, Eligia still has better soundstage.
So, overall is Elegia a better headphone IMHO with even better price.
Radiance is likely what you are looking for, unfortunately it was a limited run so most of them are overpriced used units, every once in a while there is a good priced one, but almost all owners never put on a headband cover so bleh, no thanks for me, I had a headband cover on my Elegia before it even got 2 hours of use and a set of spare pads ordered

Mar 6, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #3,628 of 4,891
Mar 6, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #3,629 of 4,891
Mar 6, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #3,630 of 4,891

Users who are viewing this thread

Back