Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #6,406 of 6,742
I purchased a pair while the drop was still going. Drop still hasn’t sent them out, however. I might need a backup plan hence me asking the question.
Gotcha.
I got the elex pads as my default pad and a pair of limited edition stellia pads (got those for my celestee but sold the celestee). The Stellia pads are a bit more closed in then the elex pads. Changes in sound signature are closer to the elex pads then to the stock pads.

Jan 7, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #6,407 of 6,742
Gotcha.
I got the elex pads as my default pad and a pair of limited edition stellia pads (got those for my celestee but sold the celestee). The Stellia pads are a bit more closed in then the elex pads. Changes in sound signature are closer to the elex pads then to the stock pads.
I have the same two sets of extra pads and feel the same. Both sets of pads probably take some sensation of soundstage away because they will bring the midrange back more. Might take some getting used to but I personally prefer their treble to stock Elear pads, and the bass is cleaner even if a bit less full and warm.

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #6,408 of 6,742
I have the same two sets of extra pads and feel the same. Both sets of pads probably take some sensation of soundstage away because they will bring the midrange back more. Might take some getting used to but I personally prefer their treble to stock Elear pads, and the bass is cleaner even if a bit less full and warm.
I give them a small EQ bump at 80hz to bring back the bass. They sound so frikkin close to a Clear it's hard to justify the price difference.

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #6,409 of 6,742
I’m going to try the Stellia pads on these to see if it fixes the shouty 1-2k hz area.

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #6,412 of 6,742
Just got the Elear today.
Used, but I don't think they are broken in yet.
At this point, I tend to prefer the Elear--especially their treble balance--over the Clear MG.
They will open up beautifully after getting broken up, glad u prefer them over the Clear. Important not to be driven louder than their threshold

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #6,413 of 6,742
Am really enjoying the Elear with minimal [or no] EQing and a hybrid UPOCC solid silver + solid copper cable.
They seem to respond more favorably to EQ than do the Clear MG.
When EQing the MG (toward where I would rather they sound--that is, more "OG-ish"), things get deadened/throttled a bit, soundstage depth collapses and imaging can get muddled.
It's the opposite with the (EQed) Elear: they sound more open, spacious and pinpoint with their imaging.

1642051377059.png

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #6,414 of 6,742
Running the crinacle ParametricEQ Elear presets now.

Very well aligned with my listening preferences (and giving the Clear MG a real run-for-the-money(!)--and, dare I say, winning(?)--and, further dare I say, by a significant margin(??)).

The Elear sound delightful, remarkably close to the Clear OG (my primary auditory EQ target).

1642077195610.png

Great resources:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/Au...2018/Focal Elear/Focal Elear ParametricEQ.txt

Jan 13, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #6,415 of 6,742
Running the crinacle ParametricEQ Elear presets now.

Very well aligned with my listening preferences (and giving the Clear MG a real run-for-the-money(!)--and, dare I say, winning(?)--and, further dare I say, by a significant margin(??)).

The Elear sound delightful, remarkably close to the Clear OG (my primary auditory EQ target).

1642077195610.png

Great resources:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results/crinacle
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/crinacle/gras_43ag-7_harman_over-ear_2018/Focal Elear/Focal Elear ParametricEQ.txt
They sound so frikkin close to a Clear it's hard to justify the price difference.
I have the exact same feeling. I sold my Clear OG a while ago and bought a 2nd handed Elear for half that price.
Instead of doing the smart thing I bought various pads for the Elear :p

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #6,416 of 6,742
Seeing quite a bit of talk about the Elear lately. Resolve has been wearing them in a few of his latest Headphone Shows. His have the Utopia Pads installed.

Nice to see a headphone that's been discontinued for over a year get a resurgence in popularity.

Hoping Focal releases a couple new models this year.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #6,417 of 6,742
I sold my Elear several years ago but wish I could have kept them. They were the only open-back I'd ever considered owning because of how much I enjoyed them but alas, I just didn't have the environment for open cans in end. Remember using them with Sonarworks on occasion which added a bit of bite to electric guitars and the like which was nice, but the majority of the time used them sans EQ because they were excellent without it, anyway. Great bass for an open back, too. Would have been fun to be able to compare them with my TH900... all in all, they're still my 2nd favourite headphones of all time, just shy of the Fostex.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #6,418 of 6,742
Along with the Ananda, i feel totally covered

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #6,419 of 6,742
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but is there not a Focal Elex thread here? I've tried searching and couldn't find one. Wasn't sure if maybe it was skipped due to the similarities between it and the Elear. Interested in possibly moving on from my Auteur's and downgrading into something like that, was just looking for some community impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back