Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #6,436 of 6,742
Clear MG versus Clear Elear
Track: "Soul Makossa", Manu Dibango:

1642228671514.png

Preference: Focal Elear

Jan 15, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #6,439 of 6,742
Better layering and transparency with the Ananda (zero stridency).
More natural tonal saturation and balance, better dynamics and more realistically proportioned soundstage width with the Elear.

Update:
Just added the Uptone Audio USPCB (replacing a cheap USB A-to-USB Micro cable) and USB Disruptor. Sounds like a DAC upgrade(!). The Ananda sounds livelier and punchier, with better resolution and image focus. Have to bring the Elear back up and listen for equipment-associated improvements. The Wyred4Sound Recovery and USB Disruptor are two of the most effective tweaks I have ever used.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #6,440 of 6,742
Better layering and transparency with the Ananda (zero stridency).
More natural tonal saturation and balance, better dynamics and more realistically proportioned soundstage width with the Elear.

Update:
Just added the Uptone Audio USPCB (replacing a cheap USB A-to-USB Micro cable) and USB Disruptor. Sounds like a DAC upgrade(!). The Ananda sounds livelier and punchier, with better resolution and image focus. Have to bring the Elear back up and listen for equipment-associated improvements. The Wyred4Sound Recovery and USB Disruptor are two of the most effective tweaks I have ever used.
In my tests, the amp/phone setup made lots of difference especially the mating factor. Below is my preference.

soundstage: Ananda
Imaging: Elear
Warmth : Elear
Precision : Ananda
Resolve: Ananda
All genre handling: Elear
Classical: Ananda
Tube amp friendly: Elear
Build: Elear

The Violectric amp is able to drive both with a iron grip, the Cavalli CTH made the Ananda shine and the DV gave a magic touch to the Elear with the proper tubes.

Jan 15, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #6,441 of 6,742
With PEQ and introduction of the aforementioned tweaks, the Ananda sound surprisingly filled out, more dense and robust.
With the tweaks, the Elear, on their own (not comparing them to the Ananda), have a quieter background, are more detailed, yet slightly more rounded and smooth at the same time (without diminishing detail).
Am currently enjoying Lorin Maazel conducting the New York Philharmonic performing Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony ("Pathetique") with the Elear. (I think I could listen to this symphony weekly and not tire of it. I like Maazel's interpretation of this piece, too, although I actually prefer his recording with the Cleveland Orchestra.)
I normally drive the Ananda with the Wadia 151 DAC/amp with plenty on reserve.
The Ananda get the nod for comfort, too.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #6,442 of 6,742
With PEQ and introduction of the aforementioned tweaks, the Ananda sound surprisingly filled out, more dense and robust.
With the tweaks, the Elear, on their own (not comparing them to the Ananda), have a quieter background, are more detailed, yet slightly more rounded and smooth at the same time (without diminishing detail).
Am currently enjoying Lorin Maazel conducting the New York Philharmonic performing Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony ("Pathetique") with the Elear. (I think I could listen to this symphony weekly and not tire of it. I like Maazel's interpretation of this piece, too, although I actually prefer his recording with the Cleveland Orchestra.)
Wadia is a respectful high end audio company, am sure the 151 is delivering the goods

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #6,443 of 6,742
I find the Ananda to be the planar which fits perfectly with energetic Orchestral music.

It’s as if AKG K7__ engineers made a planar.

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #6,444 of 6,742
I find the Ananda to be the planar which fits perfectly with energetic Orchestral music.

It’s as if AKG K7__ engineers made a planar.
By comparison it’s even an HD800 planar equivalent

Jan 18, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #6,445 of 6,742
Big soundstage, every which-way, with the Wadia 151. An excellent DAC/amp pairing with the Elear (preferable to the Mojo/SP-200). The Focal have really come into their own over the last 50+ hours.

Current configuration:
Lenovo G50 [Tidal Master]-->iFi iSilencer+-->AQ Jitterbug-->DaBig Genius USB cable-->Wyred4Sound Recovery-->Uptone Audio USPCB-->USB Disruptor-->Wadia 151PowerDAC mini-->Ted Allen UPOCC speaker banana-to-4-pin XLR adapter-->teknorob23 Neotech UPOCC solid silver/solid copper cable-->Focal Elear [Crinacle PEQ]

The Clear MG (as GOOD as they are) are packed up and ready to go.

Will use the return/refund money to help fund the Mjolnir SRD-7 (which can be paired with the Wadia to drive the (soon-to-arrive) SR-L500 Mk.2).

Jan 18, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #6,446 of 6,742
Am using an Audioquest Carbon USB cable between the Laptop and Mcintosch AMP/ DAC with excellent results

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #6,447 of 6,742
I swapped the Elex pads for Utopia pads today. IMO the Utopia pads are brighter than the Elex pads.
I get the feeling of getting more detail, a slightly more natural tone but with a ever so slight glare.

Utopia pads feel way more luxurious compared to either the Elex, Clear or Dekoni offerings. Dekoni's are way more firm and as such less comfortable as compared to what Focal brings. The pads are way to expensive though.

If anyone from Europe is looking for Dekoni Stellia pads. I have put mine up for sale (again).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back