Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #6,422 of 6,742
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but is there not a Focal Elex thread here? I've tried searching and couldn't find one. Wasn't sure if maybe it was skipped due to the similarities between it and the Elear. Interested in possibly moving on from my Auteur's and downgrading into something like that, was just looking for some community impressions.
Elexs are Elears with Clear pads. I've never listened to Auteurs, but my Elear/Elex with Dekoni Hybrids are freakin' phenomenal. I got Stellia pads and Dekoni hybrids for my Elears in the mail today. The Stellia pads make the mids almost inaudible. It's all bass and treble and like the ghost of vocals lol. The Hybrids give a little more bass and lower mids to the Elear over stock, but also dips the 1-2kHz region which eliminates the signature Focal rise above Harman target in the region, which can make higher pitched vocals sound mildly shouty and thin. Treble is inoffensive in both stock and Dekoni Hybrid form. The first cymbal hit in Dreams by Fleetwood has the tendency to make me cringe in Harman-compliant headphones. These and the Aeon Open Xs do not, but the Closed X and Aeon Noirs certainly did. IMO you should definitely try to pick up a pair of Elears or Elexs used, listen to them for awhile, then pad-swap with either another Focal's pads or Dekonis. It's a surefire way to have a pair of headphones specifically tuned to you.

Jan 13, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #6,423 of 6,742
Farewell listen to the Clear MG tonight.
They are going and the Elear are staying.
Glad I didn’t buy the Clear MG in this case 😕😊

Jan 14, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #6,424 of 6,742
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but is there not a Focal Elex thread here? I've tried searching and couldn't find one. Wasn't sure if maybe it was skipped due to the similarities between it and the Elear. Interested in possibly moving on from my Auteur's and downgrading into something like that, was just looking for some community impressions.
Isn't this the Elex thread?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/massdrop-x-focal-elex-review-measurements.867615/

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #6,425 of 6,742
Glad I didn’t buy the Clear MG in this case 😕😊
The Clear MG are very good headphones in their own right, but an acquired taste. More different from, than similar to, the Clear OG (IMHO).

Tonal density, resolution and subtlety, together with micro-dynamic adroitness--really quite remarkable--are, I think, the MG's chief strengths, but they come at the expense of top-end extension, air and transparency (which I tend to value more highly as a headphone listener).

Frankly, the MG (Crinacle PEQed, with the new addition of the Mojo as a dedicated DAC) made my "farewell" listen to Bruckner's 4th Symphony both engaging and revelatory, in light of those aforementioned strengths.

Farewell? Well, maybe not quite yet. : )

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #6,426 of 6,742
The MG are very good headphones in their own right, but an acquired taste. More different from, than similar to, the Clear OG (IMHO).
Expression of tonal density/saturation, resolution and subtlety, together with micro-dynamic adroitness--really quite remarkable--are, I think, the MG's chief strengths, but they come at the expense of top-end extension, air and transparency (which I tend to value more highly as a headphone listener).
Frankly, the MG made my "farewell" listen to Bruckner's 4th Symphony revelatory, in light of those aforementioned strengths.
Farewell? Well, maybe not quite yet. : )
It’s really hard to get rid of a set of Focals when you have them. They just “feel” special when you listen to them. Like they may not be perfect, but they wear their little quirks on their sleeves in such an endearing way that you don’t want to say goodbye.

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #6,428 of 6,742
The Focal house signature is unique and am not parting, i paired it with a planar (Ananda) added more amps (with 85 Ohms of impedance the Elear is great with OTL) including tube ones and rolled tubes and can't be happier. Throw in a Violectric and you won't regret.
My 2 cents 🙂

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #6,429 of 6,742
The Focal house signature is unique and am not parting, i paired it with a planar (Ananda) added more amps (with 85 Ohms of impedance the Elear is great with OTL) including tube ones and rolled tubes and can't be happier. Throw in a Violectric and you won't regret.
My 2 cents 🙂
I just ordered a 336se. I gotta try this out haha

Jan 14, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #6,430 of 6,742
Jan 14, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #6,431 of 6,742
Jan 14, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #6,432 of 6,742
. . . This is making me regret selling the SinglePower MPX3 (all tube, 3x 6SN7).
My modded/upgraded Bada PH-12 hybrid (also 3x 6SN7) is at the shop--has been at the shop for far too long.
Meanwhile, the warmer Mojo (used as DAC-only) coupled with the leaner SP200 THX (amp) strike an optimal balance for my listening tastes.
Am very much enjoying Schubert's 9th Symphony ("The Great") with the Elear.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #6,433 of 6,742
. . . This is making me regret selling the SinglePower MPX3 (all tube, 3x 6SN7).
My modded/upgraded Bada PH-12 hybrid (also 3x 6SN7) is at the shop--has been at the shop for far too long.
Meanwhile, the warmer Mojo (used as DAC-only) coupled with the leaner SP200 THX (amp) strike an optimal balance for my listening tastes.
Am very much enjoying Schubert's 9th Symphony ("The Great") with the Elear.
No need to regret, get a planar and you're in for a treat if you enjoy classical music

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #6,434 of 6,742
No need to regret, get a planar and you're in for a treat if you enjoy classical music
Thank you.

Have, and very much enjoy, the Ananda (HiFiMan's price-to-performance "sweet spot", IMHO) as well as the Elear (analogously, Focal's price-to-performance "sweet spot", IMHO).

Just impulse-ordered the Stax SR-L500 Mk.II to complete a Dynamic-Planar-Electrostatic "Trio" (and hopefully keep my compulsive buying at bay for the time being--that is, until after I get an amp for the SR-L500[!]).

Have rejoined Schubert's 9th with the (Crinacle PEQed) Clear MG, which are doing a great job, too.

UPDATE:
Am going back and forth (Elear-to-OG) movement by movement. For everything the MG do very well, I still prefer the airiness, openness and vaster sense of scale offered by the Elear for this piece.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #6,435 of 6,742
Thank you.

Have, and very much enjoy, the Ananda (the HiFiMan price-to-performance "sweet spot", IMHO) as well as the Elear (analogously, the Focal price-to-performance "sweet spot", IMHO).

Just impulse-ordered the Stax SR-L500 Mk.II to complete a Dynamic-Planar-Electrostatic "Trio" (and hopefully keep my compulsive buying at bay for the time being--that is, after I get an amp for the SR-L500).

Have rejoined Schubert's 9th with the (Crinacle PEQed) Clear MG, which are doing a great job, too.

UPDATE:
Am going back and forth (Elear-to-OG) movement by movement. For everything the MG do well, I still prefer the airiness, openness and vaster sense of scale offered by the Elear for this piece.
Good to hear 😍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back