Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 8, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #6,391 of 6,742
After owning the Stellia and Clear I now have the Celestee and finally the Elear.
Did I go the wrong way? Well not in my opinion ofc :) I just got the Elear for ~ €500 and no matter what the Clear og is nowhere near the same value.
Stellia was always a "I am on top of the world" buy before the titanic sank; which it did for me when I compared it so lesser closed-backs like the mmx-300 gen.2
Don't get me wrong. I appreciate high end audio and I enjoy the focal house sound (I have 2 of them for a reason) but for me (ymmv) both the Elear and Celestee hit a homerun (though tight) and a headphone like the Stellia hits a comfortable homerun (sound wise, that is).

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #6,392 of 6,742
I've had the Dekoni velour pads one my Elear ever since replacing the stock pair a few years ago but just recently got the fenestrated sheepskin pads and they sound better than the velour pads imo. I feel like the highs are a bit more forward which I really like and the bass also has more presence as well. I know people used to use the Clear pads on the Elear and said they sounded better and I think the fenestrated sheepskin pads are doing the same thing.

Nov 10, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #6,393 of 6,742
Clear pads on the Elear is what makes much sense sound wise.

Jan 4, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #6,394 of 6,742
I've had my Elear coming up on 6 years later in the year and it's still one of my favorite headphones I have. I've thought about getting one of the newer models whether it's the Clear or one of the closed-backs but I just feel like it won't be enough of an upgrade or even a change over the Elear to warrant getting a pair. Until they finally go kaput I'm just going to rock with them till the end.

Jan 4, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #6,395 of 6,742
I've had my Elear coming up on 6 years later in the year and it's still one of my favorite headphones I have. I've thought about getting one of the newer models whether it's the Clear or one of the closed-backs but I just feel like it won't be enough of an upgrade or even a change over the Elear to warrant getting a pair. Until they finally go kaput I'm just going to rock with them till the end.
Try the Sendy Aiva pads on the Elears.

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #6,396 of 6,742
Nice, almost 3 years now and still going strong too, i have another more expensive headphone and i still couldnot find elear replacement that worth and also one of my favourite headphones, yes there're some more technical capable cans in elear price range but still, it's not as good and easy to listen like elear especially if u just want to listen to just relax and enjoy not to analyze things, the tonal is perfectly fine to me, i found clear is kindda bright for my taste, technically clear is better, especialy on certain song, but in several song i found elear relax tuning is better to my ears, it's just perfectly fine, not too dark and not too bright, it's like comfort zone despite not technically capable like more expensive cans out there, this make elear good for various genre as well, i wish i can hear it louder on high DB on certain track, and not rattling/clipping because of the limiiter on their driver, then it will be more perfect, but i just guess the sound will not be the same as good or more dynamic if they decide to not design that way, that's just my assumption, i use focal mostly on low gain now and not push them hard, with the price i got then i have no complain and accept those as it is, all focal open back lineup i heard also do clip on loud db on certain songs/frequency, so rather than avoid them since i love the sound i stick with elear and i have no complain.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #6,397 of 6,742

I've had my Elear's for close to two years now. Along with both NightHawks, Audeze LCD-2C, and LSA HP-2's. Each complements the other and I have rarely felt the need to upgrade (for which my wallet thanks me profusely). I enjoy the sound the Elear's offer, though I will admit I've e not heard any other Focal's to compare with (I like the sound of the Elear's enough that I never felt the need).

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #6,398 of 6,742
I've had the Dekoni velour pads one my Elear ever since replacing the stock pair a few years ago but just recently got the fenestrated sheepskin pads and they sound better than the velour pads imo. I feel like the highs are a bit more forward which I really like and the bass also has more presence as well. I know people used to use the Clear pads on the Elear and said they sounded better and I think the fenestrated sheepskin pads are doing the same thing.

Where did you get the sheepskin pads?

Jan 5, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #6,399 of 6,742
I've had my Elear's for close to two years now. Along with both NightHawks, Audeze LCD-2C, and LSA HP-2's. Each complements the other and I have rarely felt the need to upgrade (for which my wallet thanks me profusely). I enjoy the sound the Elear's offer, though I will admit I've e not heard any other Focal's to compare with (I like the sound of the Elear's enough that I never felt the need).
How would you compare the lcd-2c compared to the elear.

Jan 6, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #6,402 of 6,742
I have the Elear for around 4 years now along with the Ananda driven by a Violectric, DV and CTH.

The Elear is a keeper as it mimic a floor speaker experience as long as you don't crank it above its threshold

Jan 7, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #6,403 of 6,742
Just picked up a pair of Elears for $450. The bass on these hits hard although I feel I’m missing something compared to my Aeon flow open x and 6xx in the upper mids. Would any of the Dekoni pads fix that? I’m a little scared to pull the trigger on the fenestrated sheepskin because someone here said they lose some bass with those pads.

Jan 7, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #6,404 of 6,742
Just picked up a pair of Elears for $450. The bass on these hits hard although I feel I’m missing something compared to my Aeon flow open x and 6xx in the upper mids. Would any of the Dekoni pads fix that? I’m a little scared to pull the trigger on the fenestrated sheepskin because someone here said they lose some bass with those pads.
I'd consider the elex pads instead.

Jan 7, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #6,405 of 6,742
I'd consider the elex pads instead.
I purchased a pair while the drop was still going. Drop still hasn’t sent them out, however. I might need a backup plan hence me asking the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back