Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2021 at 11:58 PM Post #6,376 of 6,742
It's odd because the number of people who complain about the squeaking seems low percentage-wise, but those who have experienced the issue are very troubled by it. At;first, it led me to believe I got stuck with two lemons, but I suppose it's also possible (albeit unbelievable from my perspective) that many people simply aren't noticing something I find so obvious and intrusive.

I should also note that when I finally got ahold of Focal's service manager and I explained the squeaking and rattling issue to him, he did not say, "That's normal. They all do that." Instead, he said, "That should not be. Please send them inand we will fix them for you."

Aug 23, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #6,377 of 6,742
It's odd because the number of people who complain about the squeaking seems low percentage-wise, but those who have experienced the issue are very troubled by it. At;first, it led me to believe I got stuck with two lemons, but I suppose it's also possible (albeit unbelievable from my perspective) that many people simply aren't noticing something I find so obvious and intrusive.

I should also note that when I finally got ahold of Focal's service manager and I explained the squeaking and rattling issue to him, he did not say, "That's normal. They all do that." Instead, he said, "That should not be. Please send them inand we will fix them for you."
Well, now you have me curious… how would I generate the squeaking? I should try that with my Elegia… as I said I’ve never noticed squeaking before but I honestly don’t know if it’s there and just not a level I’ve noticed.

Aug 23, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #6,378 of 6,742
Warranty is definitely still good. I think its 4 years. Service is difficult to contact and a bit slow, but they will fix it eventually.

Be forewarned: I sent my sqeaking, rattling Elears back to them THREE times and they still rattled. Finally, they replaced them entirely. The replacements also rattle... but not as much.

My Elegias also squeak, but I'm afraid to send them back for fear they'll come back worse.

I suppose it serves me right for buying a product made in France...
That's good to know the warranty is 4 years. I've emailed Headphones.com (the Focal website said to email the dealer).
I know about the squeaking/creaking sound and have gotten used to it.

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #6,379 of 6,742
RIP... my Elear's headband broke today. 😥 It still stays on my head if I don't move, but there's zero clamping force.
Does anyone know how long the warranty is and whether the headband is covered? (I bought it from Headphones.com on May 2019).

Could this be a sign to upgrade? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I was planning to get the Clear Mg next year, so maybe I can move that schedule up.

Focal Elear Broken Headband_resize.JPG
Warranty does not cover physically broken parts but you can order a replacement from the Focal dealer or maybe be sell it broken and get the Clear MG or the Arya if you had enough of the Focal sound signature

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:51 AM Post #6,380 of 6,742
Yeah, get something else. I don’t recall hearing that ever on my Elear, Elegia, Elex, or Clear… I suspect it’s just not something I am inclined to notice.
In fact after I heard about the squeaking in the forums I tested it afterwards, not a show stopper by any mean to me and definitely not a shortcoming when you consider the Utopia.

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #6,381 of 6,742

In fact the Focal support is excellent and won't let you down.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #6,382 of 6,742
The squeaking is an easy fix. Try some dry lube or teflon lube. Just drip a little into the headband where the yoke enters it. Just enough to get rid of the squeak. It worked great on my Elears.

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #6,383 of 6,742
Warranty does not cover physically broken parts but you can order a replacement from the Focal dealer or maybe be sell it broken and get the Clear MG or the Arya if you had enough of the Focal sound signature

Thanks for the info! I'm working with Headphones.com. They're going to contact Focal and find out how much it would cost for the replacement.

I don't think I'm done with the Focal sound yet. I will probably come back to it later. For now, I'm trying something very different. I took my old Sennheiser HD600 out of my closet, ordered the HD6XX, and pre-ordered the HD8XX.

Selling it as-is is a good idea too. But it's hard to imagine people wanting one with a broken headband. And how much should I sell it for?

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #6,384 of 6,742
What you're calling an intentional design decision I call incompetent design. The sqeaking doesn't bug me, it drives me absolutely insane - and it is the sole reason I have not purchased Utopias.
Maybe we're talking about something different? mine just creaks, I wouldn't say it is truly a squeaking sound. And it doesn't do anything once it is on the head, only with some adjustment do I get a little bit.

Aug 24, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #6,385 of 6,742
Thanks for the info! I'm working with Headphones.com. They're going to contact Focal and find out how much it would cost for the replacement.

I don't think I'm done with the Focal sound yet. I will probably come back to it later. For now, I'm trying something very different. I took my old Sennheiser HD600 out of my closet, ordered the HD6XX, and pre-ordered the HD8XX.

Selling it as-is is a good idea too. But it's hard to imagine people wanting one with a broken headband. And how much should I sell it for?
You are in good hands with either Headphones.com or Focal, no worries.
The Sens are totally different beasts but the Focal home signature is unique, better fix it if you like it and definitely it's much wiser to fix it if you want to sell it 👍

Aug 28, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #6,386 of 6,742
RIP... my Elear's headband broke today. 😥 It still stays on my head if I don't move, but there's zero clamping force.
Does anyone know how long the warranty is and whether the headband is covered? (I bought it from Headphones.com on May 2019).

Could this be a sign to upgrade? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I was planning to get the Clear Mg next year, so maybe I can move that schedule up.

Focal Elear Broken Headband_resize.JPG
Hello! Sorry about your headband, good luck with repairs/ upgrade.

On a different note, I noticed in your gear list that you’re using Sennheiser IE 900 for portable use. Could you possibly describe or compare its sound signature and other characteristics with the Elear‘s? I do know that comparing IEMs with full size cans isn’t particularly useful, but do give it a try if you could. I’m eyeing the IE 300 as my next purchase and would love your opinion on the 900 vs Elear. I have a fairly good idea about the 900 vs 300 sound comparison from multiple online reviews.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers & happy listening

Aug 28, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #6,387 of 6,742

On a different note, I noticed in your gear list that you’re using Sennheiser IE 900 for portable use. Could you possibly describe or compare its sound signature and other characteristics with the Elear‘s? I do know that comparing IEMs with full size cans isn’t particularly useful, but do give it a try if you could. I’m eyeing the IE 300 as my next purchase and would love your opinion on the 900 vs Elear. I have a fairly good idea about the 900 vs 300 sound comparison from multiple online reviews.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers & happy listening
You're correct that it is difficult to compare IEM with a full-size headphones, but I will try my best. At least they're both dynamic drivers.

Bass:
IE900 has more bass if you can get a really good seal. But also depends on the ear tips. With the Acoustune ear tips, the bass can get bloated. With the stock silicone ear tips, the bass is cleaner and deeper. The Elear's bass also goes deep but being an open design, there less of it and less chances of becoming bloated. The bass texture is about the same. Bass details can stand out a bit more in the IE900, I think simply because it's closer to the ear drum.

Mid:
IE900 has slightly more recessed mids, relative to the Elear. I think maybe because its bass is so strong. The mids on both are still very clear, but the Elear has more details. Both has very smooth mids.

Treble:
Both has smooth treble, but the Elear has more sparkly and "faster" treble.

Soundstage and imaging:
There's really no comparison here. An open back full size headphones is simply better in both soundstage and imaging. The Elear has a bigger soundstage all around and easier to pin point instruments within that soundstage.

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #6,388 of 6,742

Thanks in advance!
Cheers & happy listening
In fact I went into this homework 2 years ago and ended up getting the Weston UM Pro 50 which to me blows the Elear out of the water in every aspect but soundstage but it's not cheap as an IEM but definitely am still using the Elear for home use.

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #6,389 of 6,742
Hi guys, im still using elear, year 2 now, but now i need to replace my earpads, i want to know if the QC of Elex Earpads from drop is a good alternative rather buy the original ones ? I have bad experience before, i bought it once several months ago from drop but there's an incident with only 1 pcs that has been shipeed not 1 pair, and the foam is so thin not dense as regular clear/elex earpads so i returned those earpads and got refunded and i;m still using my dekoni.

What i want to know is, as for now, do they fix those earpads already in the new batch, is the elex pads now is dense as original elex pads that attached to their elex ? and if i changed from my sheepskin fenestrated dekoni into elex pads, it's become better or worse, i means it's better or downgrade from dekoni or stock ?

Aug 29, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #6,390 of 6,742
Hi guys, im still using elear, year 2 now, but now i need to replace my earpads, i want to know if the QC of Elex Earpads from drop is a good alternative rather buy the original ones ? I have bad experience before, i bought it once several months ago from drop but there's an incident with only 1 pcs that has been shipeed not 1 pair, and the foam is so thin not dense as regular clear/elex earpads so i returned those earpads and got refunded and i;m still using my dekoni.

What i want to know is, as for now, do they fix those earpads already in the new batch, is the elex pads now is dense as original elex pads that attached to their elex ? and if i changed from my sheepskin fenestrated dekoni into elex pads, it's become better or worse, i means it's better or downgrade from dekoni or stock ?
I bought 2 pairs elex pads from the last drop and they were great. Going from stock Elear pad's they would be an upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back