Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Mar 10, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #6,346 of 6,742
I’m using the Clear pads which they are supposed to be a copy of. I love the Elear with Clear pads.
Figured. Got those too and returned them and keep the free massdrop one. It's an overall cleaner, less warm tone. Nicely balanced!

Mar 10, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #6,347 of 6,742
I’m using the Clear pads which they are supposed to be a copy of. I love the Elear with Clear pads.
Might have to go that route in the future!

I just took the plunge and have an OTL amp arriving early next week (a Feliks Echo). I suspect it will be an even better match with the Elears vs my current Violectric V200. And with a ZMF Atticus as a future headphone addition, both closed and open cans should be a phenomenal amp match!

The question remains how my LCD-XCs will sound with the Echo, but if it isn’t great the Atticus may become the go-to closed headphone...

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #6,348 of 6,742

I was using the red Clear Professional pads with great results, but I took Shroomalistic's advice here in the thread and I downloaded his 3D adapter rings and I ordered the $30 Sendy Aiva pads. I'm thriled with the Aiva pads and I've found that they sound every bit as good as the expensive Focal pads. More importantly, they appear to be more durable. I was disappointed to find that my expensive Clear Pro pads are already starting to wear after less than a year of moderate use. The material is starting to fray a bit, which can't be a good sign. Also, there were always some comfort issues with the Clear pads. They seem to compress a bit too much, which can make the edges of your ear touch the inside of the cups. The Sendy pads are angled, and the back of each pad rubs the back edge of your ear at first, which can be irritating. However, they become more comfortable as they conform to your head shape and are ultimately more comfortable than the Clears.

Apr 1, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #6,349 of 6,742
FWIW, I bet a lot of these "creaking" complaints could be taken care of with a quick shot of a dry teflon spray lube. Stuff works great, sprays slightly wet and dries pretty quick to form a thin film of teflon on the surfaces.
THANK YOU for this! My Stellias creak and it's driving me nuts. Focal service's response has been somewhat bizarre. I will try to DuPont Non-Stick Dry Film Lubricant, just ordered it.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #6,350 of 6,742
I was using the red Clear Professional pads with great results, but I took Shroomalistic's advice here in the thread and I downloaded his 3D adapter rings and I ordered the $30 Sendy Aiva pads. I'm thriled with the Aiva pads and I've found that they sound every bit as good as the expensive Focal pads. More importantly, they appear to be more durable. I was disappointed to find that my expensive Clear Pro pads are already starting to wear after less than a year of moderate use. The material is starting to fray a bit, which can't be a good sign. Also, there were always some comfort issues with the Clear pads. They seem to compress a bit too much, which can make the edges of your ear touch the inside of the cups. The Sendy pads are angled, and the back of each pad rubs the back edge of your ear at first, which can be irritating. However, they become more comfortable as they conform to your head shape and are ultimately more comfortable than the Clears.
PSA: (public service announcement)

Drop.com has original Focal Elex pads for sale/in stock for $ 60/pair.

I have no affiliation with them, I’m just your average member- I saw it yesterday and immediately ordered a pair, knowing how nice it is to have an extra set and how spendy the Focal pads are normally.

My pair shipped out today.

Apr 9, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #6,351 of 6,742
Not sure about the balanced aspect but the 3.5 jacks will work.
Question for Elear owners:

I just picked up a (pretty nice) aftermarket cable for my Elears, only to discover that the 3.5 mm plugs with the shrink covers on them are *just a hair* too thick to fit in the cans’ frame holes, so the male plugs cannot insert all the way (resulting in no throughput). ARGH! 🤬

Anyone else run into this? It looks like the plated plug would fit if I cut back the heat shrink, but I don’t want to render the cable unreturnable.

Thoughts? Anyone confirmed that standard plated plugs fit without the heat shrink going down so far on the plugs?

Thanks in advance-

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #6,352 of 6,742
I received my Elex Pads today. Drop deliverd them really fast to Europe.

Normally i use the Dekoni fen. sheepskins and i like them a lot. The Dekonis are a big improvement over the stock Elear pads. The Elex pads are somewhere in the middle of the two i guess. The Dekonis are definately more forward and produce much more dynamics. But unfortunately they also had that little "hollowness" in the sound. The Elex pads are more natural and balanced.

For the price the Elex pads are really awesome and also a big upgrade over the Elear pads. Are they better than the Dekonis? I think it depends of the music and your personal taste.

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #6,353 of 6,742
It's been a while since I've pulled out the old Elear but since I got a new desktop setup I figured it's time to give them a go.

Firstly I had to get used to the smaller soundstage because all my other headphones even some of the closed-backs have a wider soundstage but after about 15 mins or so it was fine and they still have a good sense of depth which makes up for the lack of width. They are still an impressive headphone with a good amount of detail and really nice dynamics and I feel like the Neo/jot2 combo help to bring that out even more. I think the Elear really excels with electronic music and rock because of how good the dynamics are but really anything is going to sound good on them imo. I was thinking of maybe getting the Clear or the new MG or even the Celestee but after listening to the Elear again I don't see the need for a new Focal headphone.

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #6,354 of 6,742
Question for Elear owners:

I just picked up a (pretty nice) aftermarket cable for my Elears, only to discover that the 3.5 mm plugs with the shrink covers on them are *just a hair* too thick to fit in the cans’ frame holes, so the male plugs cannot insert all the way (resulting in no throughput). ARGH! 🤬

Anyone else run into this? It looks like the plated plug would fit if I cut back the heat shrink, but I don’t want to render the cable unreturnable.

Thoughts? Anyone confirmed that standard plated plugs fit without the heat shrink going down so far on the plugs?

Thanks in advance-
Update: I spoke with the cable manufacturer and they confirmed 1) that is was no problem to trim the shrink cover material myself, and 2) if I botched it, they could fix it for me.

Fortunately I didn’t screw it up, and now the Elears have both new silver cables (Synergistic Designs Foundation), and new Elex pads. Very, very happy with the outcome. Phenomenal sound and comfort. These will be my go-to cans for open-back listening for years.

Side note: I am a HUGE fan of Norne Audio’s cables and would highly recommend their selection- in this case I had interconnect trade-in credit I used to get the Synergistics- thankfully they are really good as well. Clear, detailed, yet smooth. They definitely work well with the Elears.

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:14 AM Post #6,355 of 6,742
Update: I spoke with the cable manufacturer and they confirmed 1) that is was no problem to trim the shrink cover material myself, and 2) if I botched it, they could fix it for me.

Fortunately I didn’t screw it up, and now the Elears have both new silver cables (Synergistic Designs Foundation), and new Elex pads. Very, very happy with the outcome. Phenomenal sound and comfort. These will be my go-to cans for open-back listening for years.

Side note: I am a HUGE fan of Norne Audio’s cables and would highly recommend their selection- in this case I had interconnect trade-in credit I used to get the Synergistics- thankfully they are really good as well. Clear, detailed, yet smooth. They definitely work well with the Elears.
Received the Feliks ? would love to hear your impressions with the Elear as I have the Elear mated with the Darkvoice 336 and I love it but am also planning for the Feliks as a cleaner performer.

Apr 29, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #6,356 of 6,742
Received the Feliks ? would love to hear your impressions with the Elear as I have the Elear mated with the Darkvoice 336 and I love it but am also planning for the Feliks as a cleaner performer.
Hi there,

Yes- I’ve had the Feliks Audio Echo (mk 1) for a few weeks now (with stock tubes). I continue to be very, very impressed by it.

The detail levels with both the Elears and the LCD-XCs are very close to what I heard with the Violectric V200 and SPL Auditor, but with a slightly richer midrange and a lot more treble smoothness. Even so, well-recorded cymbals and strings shimmer and soar- the detail in the highs remain.

The bass slam is also very impressive- the Echo can also make the LCD-XCs vibrate my skull. (The Elears, as much as I love them, can’t match that)

I have been listening to the Echo/Elear combo about every other evening for about an hour each session, covering rock, pop, electronica, and jazz. The Elears are, simply put, a wonderful match with the Echo. I also love how the Elears can scale with better cabling and amplification. I continue to think that the day I find a closed-back that makes me as happy as the Elears do, I’m all set.

(Spoiler alert: My short list for meeting that goal, in order: Focal Radiance, ZMF Atticus, Denon AH-D7200)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #6,357 of 6,742
Hi there,

Yes- I’ve had the Feliks Audio Echo (mk 1) for a few weeks now (with stock tubes). I continue to be very, very impressed by it.

The detail levels with both the Elears and the LCD-XCs are very close to what I heard with the Violectric V200 and SPL Auditor, but with a slightly richer midrange and a lot more treble smoothness. Even so, well-recorded cymbals and strings shimmer and soar- the detail in the highs remain.

The bass slam is also very impressive- the Echo can also make the LCD-XCs vibrate my skull. (The Elears, as much as I love them, can’t match that)

I have been listening to the Echo/Elear combo about every other evening for about an hour each session, covering rock, pop, electronica, and jazz. The Elears are, simply put, a wonderful match with the Echo. I also love how the Elears can scale with better cabling and amplification. I continue to think that the day I find a closed-back that makes me as happy as the Elears do, I’m all set.

(Spoiler alert: My short list for meeting that goal, in order: Focal Radiance, ZMF Atticus, Denon AH-D7200)
Hey 🤚
Sounds a good match 👍 am planning for the MK II....and go for the Atticus 🙂🙂
And since you have the V200, depending on your listening preference you may want to test the Arya or Ananda. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #6,358 of 6,742
20210619_111030.jpg

I have looked for headband cover for quite a while and couldn't find one I liked until I found this one. Not perfect but it will protect the headband, adds some padding and it fits. Just thought I'd post in case anybody else is looking.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0814D2NG7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jun 19, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #6,359 of 6,742
Jun 20, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #6,360 of 6,742

Users who are viewing this thread

Back