Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #6,331 of 6,742
Hello Elear Lovers :)

I received my Elears yesterday and i love them!

I have a Balanced cable left from my Beyerdynamic Amiron and was wonderwing if i Can use it for the Elear?

Is has 3,5 connectors but with two Black stripes instead of just one.

Thanks for your help :)
It will definitely work, i also used the Focal Elear cable (2 stripes) on the Ananda (included cable is 3 stripes).
The 3 way cable will deliver the same signal as the 2 but not the other way round.
You are good to go 👍

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #6,332 of 6,742
Anyone tried the Elear with the Dark voice? Or another OTL ?

Feb 28, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #6,334 of 6,742
Bifrost 2 + Valhalla 2 with Brimar 4033s + Elears = :)
Schiit tech recommends the Valhalla for 250-600Ohms cans and Vali 2 for the Elear. what's your impressions on the Valhalla + Elear ?

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #6,335 of 6,742
Schiit tech recommends the Valhalla for 250-600Ohms cans and Vali 2 for the Elear. what's your impressions on the Valhalla + Elear ?
The description on their states: "While most tube OTL amps are really only designed for 300 ohm Senns and 600 ohm Beyers, Valhalla 2 stretches to include headphones that you’d never expect to use with a tube amp. Many people use Valhalla 2 with sensitive, lower-impedance headphones as well." Elears are very easy to drive and I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting. Read this review: https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41009.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #6,336 of 6,742
The description on their states: "While most tube OTL amps are really only designed for 300 ohm Senns and 600 ohm Beyers, Valhalla 2 stretches to include headphones that you’d never expect to use with a tube amp. Many people use Valhalla 2 with sensitive, lower-impedance headphones as well." Elears are very easy to drive and I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting. Read this review: https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41009.
SO I should sell the Elear and get the Utopia ?? 😁😁😁😁

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #6,338 of 6,742
I think my Elear sounds great with the iFi Neo using the balanced output. The Neo has just over 1 watt of continuous power which is plenty for the Elear and they use new balance circuitry that imo sounds really good. I've been using it as just a Dac mainly but now I'm using the amp on the Neo and so far it sounds as good or better than any amp I have with my easier to drive headphones.

Mar 3, 2021 at 6:07 AM Post #6,339 of 6,742
Ordered the Darkvoice 336SE along with some tubes to roll, see how it will mate with the Elear, heard good feedback about such combo.

Mar 3, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #6,340 of 6,742
Ananda vs Elear

Just got these with Dekoni pads for $450 to complement them with an Ananda as I wanted to try the Focal sound. Not sure if the Dekoni pads make these an Elex. I would say sound-wise the Ananda is class above especially regarding clarity/resolution. Vocals on the Ananda sound way better: they are sweet, not harsh and roll-off nicely. There is much more air in the sound stage and imaging is superior being a planar. When I first heard the Elears I thought how harsh and chaotic it sounded compared to the Anandas. The Anandas are much more refined/neutral and relaxing. But the Elears have grown on me...

I can definitely feel the in-your-face dynamics that I've read about: cymbals hit so well. The sound stage and imaing isn't bad either as from what I remember it's better than the HD 650s. It can compete with the Anandas. The Anandas are taller while the Elears are farther left-right. Never had an issue with bass crackling. As for frequency response you keep reading about I don't have a sharp ear for this kind of thing but I would say there is a veil, muffling, like a layer of sound is missing. Once you raise the 2-7kHz you definitely notice the difference: Taylor Swift's voice becomes much more present. But with my experience with EQ I don't like raising the treble cause it sounds to harsh, sterile/radio-like. I believe EQ should only be used to pump more bass. I followed this curve on reddit but lowered the 1350Hz High shelf filter by 4 db cause I thought an 8 db boost was insane, and the Elears sound wonderful with it. Not that much of a V-shape junkie.

The Anandas are overall better but the Elears and Anandas complement each other very well. 1 week the Anandas, next week the Elears. They provide a different sound: the Anandas are more versatile for gaming, moves, and different genres of music being more neutral and refined, the Elears have more colorization and are engaging and fun. Dua Lipa 80s synth-pop sound awesome on the Elears. The Elears have gotten more ear time because I expect listening sessions to engage and rock me every time, an edge it has over the Anandas. They are also more comfortable and easier to wear. I have to be extra careful with handling the Anandas because it feels fragile. But I don't think the build quality on the Elears are good either: there is tones of creaking every time you take them off. But these 2 are a match made in heaven and I am planning to keep these for the long run as I wanted a cheaper Focal Clear and definitely got my money's worth.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #6,341 of 6,742
Ananda vs Elear

Just got these with Dekoni pads for $450 to complement them with an Ananda as I wanted to try the Focal sound. Not sure if the Dekoni pads make these an Elex. I would say sound-wise the Ananda is class above especially regarding clarity/resolution. Vocals on the Ananda sound way better: they are sweet, not harsh and roll-off nicely. There is much more air in the sound stage and imaging is superior being a planar. When I first heard the Elears I thought how harsh and chaotic it sounded compared to the Anandas. The Anandas are much more refined/neutral and relaxing. But the Elears have grown on me...

I can definitely feel the in-your-face dynamics that I've read about: cymbals hit so well. The sound stage and imaing isn't bad either as from what I remember it's better than the HD 650s. It can compete with the Anandas. The Anandas are taller while the Elears are farther left-right. Never had an issue with bass crackling. As for frequency response you keep reading about I don't have a sharp ear for this kind of thing but I would say there is a veil, muffling, like a layer of sound is missing. Once you raise the 2-7kHz you definitely notice the difference: Taylor Swift's voice becomes much more present. But with my experience with EQ I don't like raising the treble cause it sounds to harsh, sterile/radio-like. I believe EQ should only be used to pump more bass. I followed this curve on reddit but lowered the 1350Hz High shelf filter by 4 db cause I thought an 8 db boost was insane, and the Elears sound wonderful with it. Not that much of a V-shape junkie.

The Anandas are overall better but the Elears and Anandas complement each other very well. 1 week the Anandas, next week the Elears. They provide a different sound: the Anandas are more versatile for gaming, moves, and different genres of music being more neutral and refined, the Elears have more colorization and are engaging and fun. Dua Lipa 80s synth-pop sound awesome on the Elears. The Elears have gotten more ear time because I expect listening sessions to engage and rock me every time, an edge it has over the Anandas. They are also more comfortable and easier to wear. I have to be extra careful with handling the Anandas because it feels fragile. But I don't think the build quality on the Elears are good either: there is tones of creaking every time you take them off. But these 2 are a match made in heaven and I am planning to keep these for the long run as I wanted a cheaper Focal Clear and definitely got my money's worth.
Having both cans I agree totally that they compliment each other especially with OTL amps, only the Elear would work. But if you have to to chose 1 it's definitely the Ananda hands down.

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #6,342 of 6,742
Hello Elear Lovers,

Are there any good Eq Profiles for the Elear out there? I just want to Experiment a bit with the Eq settings in Roon... 😎

Mar 4, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #6,343 of 6,742
Mar 10, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #6,344 of 6,742
Huh, today I'm trying out the failed massdrop earpads on my Elears and they sound absolutely fine. Too early to say if I'm going back to stock, but I might just stick with these. Anyone else enjoying the free massdrop pads? Lol

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #6,345 of 6,742
Huh, today I'm trying out the failed massdrop earpads on my Elears and they sound absolutely fine. Too early to say if I'm going back to stock, but I might just stick with these. Anyone else enjoying the free massdrop pads? Lol
I’m using the Clear pads which they are supposed to be a copy of. I love the Elear with Clear pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back