Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #6,301 of 6,742
Stellia, but it will load your credit card something fierce.
Damn... that one is out of my budget for a while, I’m afraid- unless I sell several pieces of gear, add cash AND get lucky with a used purchase... maybe someday! 😋

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #6,302 of 6,742
You can give a run to the Aeon Flow closed, may do trick
Thanks- I’ve thought about the AFC or AFC2. Maybe, maybe. Used AFCs for reasonable prices turn up regularly. Another alternative could be to go from a solid-state amp (SPL Auditor) to a hybrid like the Cavalli LP or a Lyr 2 or 3... or go all out with a Feliks tube amp! 🤪

Jan 15, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #6,303 of 6,742
Thanks- I’ve thought about the AFC or AFC2. Maybe, maybe. Used AFCs for reasonable prices turn up regularly. Another alternative could be to go from a solid-state amp (SPL Auditor) to a hybrid like the Cavalli LP or a Lyr 2 or 3... or go all out with a Feliks tube amp! 🤪
I would go for the tube amp as well as the AFC2 😍😍😍

Jan 15, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #6,304 of 6,742
As it was established in this thread and in various reviews, Focal wasn’t able to recapture the magic of the Elears in closed-can form in the Elegias.

As I *love* the sound signature of the Elears, it raises the question: Has anyone here run across a pair of closed cans that has roughly the same sound signature and “scratches the same itch”? And, ideally, pairs pretty well with the same amps?

I have a pair of LCD-XCs, and while they are great for other reasons, they need some treble- and painfully honest midrange-taming for my ears. I have a Norne Drausk cable arriving next week to try to solve for this [insert jumping up and down with excitement here]. My fingers are crossed... but regardless I am curious if anyone has found a “closed Elear”?

Am I reaching for the moon here?

Radiance maybe?

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:20 AM Post #6,305 of 6,742
Jan 15, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #6,306 of 6,742
Thanks- quite possibly, and as used ones come on the market and reviews get published I’ll keep an eye out.

There are a couple of reviews out there from respected channels on YouTube, specifically "The Headphone Show".

Seems like Radiance would be the closest closed back sibling to the Elear.

Jan 15, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #6,307 of 6,742
There are a couple of reviews out there from respected channels on YouTube, specifically "The Headphone Show".

Seems like Radiance would be the closest closed back sibling to the Elear.
Awesome, thanks for sharing- I will check those out.

That would be a “more affordable” (quotes as it is still a lot of money, obviously) option- and if used units show up at the usual rates (ie 50-70 percent of MSRP) I should be able to afford one down the road!

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #6,308 of 6,742

Patience is a virtue, what with the Stellia being a newcomer (albeit a mighty one) and all that. I reckon affordable used ones -relatively speaking- won't be around for another 4-5 years. After all it's considered the best closed-back phone ever made. To me it sounds better than the bass-shy Utopia Those two use the same drivers but Stellia makes bass with hers lol. Soundstage is narrower in the Stellia but surprisingly expansive nonetheless. It's pure magic.

Feb 7, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #6,309 of 6,742
Quick update, after Focal changed both my left and right Elear faulty drivers (the left one was faulty but Focal changed both to insure tonal matching), the Elear did shine and rock. Probably a new Gen of Elear drivers or maybe some Clear or Utopia drivers by mistake 🤣🤣🤣😍😍😍
Focal Naim America rock, they made my day.

Feb 7, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #6,310 of 6,742
Quick update, after Focal changed both my left and right Elear faulty drivers (the left one was faulty but Focal changed both to insure tonal matching), the Elear did shine and rock. Probably a new Gen of Elear drivers or maybe some Clear or Utopia drivers by mistake 🤣🤣🤣😍😍😍
Focal Naim America rock, they made my day.
That’s great to hear! I continue to see the Elears as one of the greatest bargains in Head-fi.

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #6,311 of 6,742
That’s great to hear! I continue to see the Elears as one of the greatest bargains in Head-fi.
Well the Elear incident made me buy the Ananda. Another reason to love Focal 😛
But really I misjudged the Focal based on a faulty can and now i wonder about the Clear and the Utopia coz the Utopia was next on my hit list. Anyway my ears are happy now 😛

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #6,313 of 6,742
I still loved/keep my elear even i also had hd800, they complement each other perfectly

Also elear built quality is superb for it's price for now, i bought that time at 599 dollar i still consider that a very good deal
In fact no 1 headphone can cover all the tonal spectrum, always a combination of 2 is needed like Elear/Clear/LCD 2C/LCDX/ Aeon Flow along with HD800S/Ananda/Arya/Utopia 😃

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #6,314 of 6,742
In fact no 1 headphone can cover all the tonal spectrum, always a combination of 2 is needed like Elear/Clear/LCD 2C/LCDX/ Aeon Flow along with HD800S/Ananda/Arya/Utopia 😃
Or, if you like a specific sound, but need closed cans for some occasions and open for others, you can go that route (which is what I’ve done 😊).

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #6,315 of 6,742
Or, if you like a specific sound, but need closed cans for some occasions and open for others, you can go that route (which is what I’ve done 😊).
Yeah that too, more reasons to buy attritional cans 😍😍😍. I settled for an AKG K550 as a closed can for private listening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back