Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #3,784 of 6,742
What models is compatible with the Elear ? There is no Elear in the list on the website

I had to get a custom length not offered on the website so he's making a PayPal invoice but Matt told me previously before he knew I needed it custom, to pick the Denon D600/D7100 and put in the comment box at checkout that it's for the Elear.

Aug 23, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #3,785 of 6,742
I am considering purchasing the Elears with an aftermarket cable. Recommendations from this thread include Moon Audio Silver Dragon, WyWyre Red, Wireworld Nano (model ?) and Plussound (model ?).

Has anyone compared one or more of these directly (with the Elear)?
Which specific Nano and which specific Plussound cable is recommended?

Thank you
I'm using the cables from the denon d600's. haven't really used the stock cable, I don't have an amp with 1/4 jack and have only the short adapters (without cable extension). the stock cable is way to heavy, it'll damage the jacks for sure in the long run

Aug 25, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #3,788 of 6,742
are there some adapter 2 pin to elear slot for sale somehwere ? I have a lot of good iems cables, which I think can be well used with the elear , if anyone know please tell me thank you

Aug 27, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #3,789 of 6,742
Just audited music through Focal Elear overnight and I'd like to give an impression of Focal Elear. Amp/DAC I used was a Schiit Valhalla 2/Lehmann clone amp+Schiit Gungnir original, iPod classic + Lehmann Traveler, iphone 6 + Dragonfly red. Used a Mogami 2893 cable.

Take home message: Great flagship audiophile headphone. Best for modern music IMO. Versatile. What I am surprised that it does not cause fatigue at all.

Good Hi-fi headphones aim to re-present the sound waves propagating back when the music was recorded in the recording room. Elear does the job very well. Very accurate sounding. Very lively sounding. Very CLEAR sounding.

To achieve the goal to present as much details as possible, there can be side affects:

1. Some headphones tend to get bright for some people (Beyerdynamic, Hifiman, and Grado go this route. I'd like to mention that MrSpeakers handle the cocktail extremely well to my taste.).
  2. And some headphones have some peaks in the treble and resolving the peaks that could be disturbing to some people. Sometimes they can be uneasy and require modding, but the problem is hard to fix. The amp with synergy is hard to find, some cables could be expensive, and most EQ softwares/hardwares suck. Even you are a pro modder it could be uneasy to get a totally pleasant sound out of it, plus, most mods have trade offs themselves, either muffing some frequency regions or changing air flow/soundstage/sound propagation. In most cases, mods can't save a headphone.

Focal Elear wins by giving all the details but not remaining fatiguing. They have Audeze-quality bass and present mids very clear highs that does not fatigue me at all. Just like a CLEAR version of HD600/650. Bass is clear, mids are clear, highs are so much clearer.

They are polite and energetic, but not aggressive. Plus they just do everything right. Soundstage is good enough, imaging is incredibly good to my ears. Compared to most other "flagships" they are not hard to drive at all. Comfortable to wear, solid-built, and they do not look ugly.

To my ears, they do extremely well for classical music, and they are the king for modern music.

I disagree, I found the Focal Elear to be a honky mid-rangy headphone, I was not able to stand them. They lack soundstage depth, width, height, bass and the treble is awful. They sound to me like a honking AM radio at full blast in my poor ears.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #3,791 of 6,742
I disagree, I found the Focal Elear to be a honky mid-rangy headphone, I was not able to stand them. They lack soundstage depth, width, height, bass and the treble is awful. They sound to me like a honking AM radio at full blast in my poor ears.

what music though? don’t need soundstage for electronic/hip hop/most modern music—what stage?

Aug 28, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #3,792 of 6,742
Ditto for the punch questions!

In contrast, I do agree with many who are overwhelmed with Elears' performance, especially Elears’ many blending virtues contributing to a nearly perfect hp set.
Elear maybe not the best hp pair, depending on requirements, but definitely they are not what poster huberd described, IMO. They are not boosted for details retrieval during 5-10 minutes dealer addition to grab immediate purchaser attention; they are for more refined listeners who are willing to take time to weed out designed sound from the trolling accusations.

So let me elaborate more on why I do not agree with poster huberd’s take on soundstage, imaging against Elear.

What soundstage?

What imaging?

What left to right?

What music?

What recording?

Says who?

Here is what I do to evaluate equipment and consider it a reliable source. It would be fair for hard core Elear critic(s) to provide similar sources.

There are number of know and respectable recoding engineers and producers who clearly stated how their recordings were made and what to listen to.

I will bring two of my faves; David Wilson Audio and Chesky records.

Samples below show how the recordings were made, what’s their microphones signature, instruments placement, mastering end expected listening experience.

Elear have it in spades, source and amplification dependent!

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #3,793 of 6,742
Lol nice post. I have experience only with my recorded music. Elear is a fresh air in an overpriced market imho

Aug 29, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #3,794 of 6,742
Unboxing
elear.jpg

Aug 29, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #3,795 of 6,742
See as much as I would like to support the hype around these, I personally cannot... To me they sounded wrong, wonky and just not very pleasing to listen to. I would take the Beyerdynamic Amiron or DT1990 Pro over these in a flash.

The dip in the upper midrange means cymbals lack impact and sound really dull and boring. The bass is not the tightest, and they just sound artificial. I tested them out of a few amps and they never really made me think, oh these are awesome.

Again this is down to personal preference, and they are quite well made and whatnot. I just found the upper mid range dip to be too much for any of the rock music I listen to with lots of cymbal crashes etc....

I can understand why people like them, but personally I don't... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back