Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #3,751 of 6,742
I've been enjoying Audioquest Nightowl's with my Schiit Jotunheim for the last 1/2 year or so. Would be very interested to hear impressions of the Focal Elear vs the Audioquest Nightowl. Would the Elear be a good match to the Jotunheim, as I've read reviews that find the Elear a little bright and fast on the high's. The Jotunheim is already bright and fast for my hearing. Even the Nightowl seems a little bright on the highs for me, and that's coming from what some call a dark headphone. Thanks

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #3,752 of 6,742
I've been enjoying Audioquest Nightowl's with my Schiit Jotunheim for the last 1/2 year or so. Would be very interested to hear impressions of the Focal Elear vs the Audioquest Nightowl. Would the Elear be a good match to the Jotunheim, as I've read reviews that find the Elear a little bright and fast on the high's. The Jotunheim is already bright and fast for my hearing. Even the Nightowl seems a little bright on the highs for me, and that's coming from what some call a dark headphone. Thanks
Elear and Jot pair great imo, but I know some people find it too shouty in the mids. You'll have to try for yourself.
Haven't heard the Nightowl, but I used to own the Nighthawk. While the NH was perceived as very dark because of the enormous dip in the FR, I actually found the NH treble to be harsher and more sibilant than the Elear. Elear is a pretty balanced, but still slightly warm headphone. The treble on the Elear never offends me, and I'm quite sensitive to treble (found the HD800S very harsh for example).

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #3,753 of 6,742
My Elear's right driver died :frowning2:
The last time I used it, it was working fine. Next time no sound from 1 side.
Cable switch did not help. Same side dead.

The dealer told me it has to be shipped to Focal.
Any experience how long a repair takes? (From Belgium).
Does Focal repair or switch with refurbished units?

did you contact focal? I'm interested just in case

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:11 PM Post #3,756 of 6,742
How does the Elear do with classical music? I've read a few impressions and they're all positive. But is it outstanding in your opinion?

I am personally prefer the elear with modern music but it does surprisingly well with classical. I haven't thoroughly compare it side by side with HD800 but I am convinced that they are different entirely. I can tell that the elear has the right instrument distance; the music flows naturally with amusing classical piano and string play but not at the same level as HD800. My HD650 made the instrument timbre sounds veil but that is not the case with elear IMO. It is good but I would not call it outstanding either because there are other cans that perform better with classical genre.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #3,757 of 6,742
I think my Elears have developed distortion over the last several weeks. They're sounding congested and distorting a little on midbass and treble. As far as I can remember, these cans have been super clear and clean. So not sure if it's my imagination or what. I switched amps and cables the other day and was hearing the same thing. Should I just call the dealer and get them checked out?

Aug 16, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #3,758 of 6,742
How does the Elear do with classical music? I've read a few impressions and they're all positive. But is it outstanding in your opinion?

They sound really good with classical. As you may know, the Elear doesn't have a really wide soundstage but it's depth of field more than makes up for it imo. I listen to a bit of classical from time to time but I'd say I listen to cinematic music more, like Hans Zimmer and the Elear sounds great every time.

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #3,759 of 6,742
They sound really good with classical. As you may know, the Elear doesn't have a really wide soundstage but it's depth of field more than makes up for it imo. I listen to a bit of classical from time to time but I'd say I listen to cinematic music more, like Hans Zimmer and the Elear sounds great every time.
Oh yes, the Elear makes epic music like Hans Zimmer sound incredibly mighty and powerful. Not something I listen to often but sometimes when the mood strikes me, and the Elears presentation is very satisfying.

Aug 16, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #3,760 of 6,742
I think my Elears have developed distortion over the last several weeks. They're sounding congested and distorting a little on midbass and treble. As far as I can remember, these cans have been super clear and clean. So not sure if it's my imagination or what. I switched amps and cables the other day and was hearing the same thing. Should I just call the dealer and get them checked out?
If there's an obvious difference, there's probably something wrong. Doesn't hurt to call your dealer and have them check them out.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #3,761 of 6,742
If there's an obvious difference, there's probably something wrong. Doesn't hurt to call your dealer and have them check them out.

Yeah i'm trying to figure that out. I suspect I'm just going a little crazy lol. I'm using Fleetwood Mac's "Never Going Back Again" and "Oh, Daddy" in 24/96 FLAC as a test tracks and A/B'ing between the Jotunheim and the Asgard 2. So far everything sounds good with single ended ICs / HP cable (Asgard 2, Jot), single ended balanced ICs / SE HP cable (Jot), balanced ICs / HP cable (Jot).

It might just be a case of changing too many things. The Jot, while being very revealing, tends to put vocals right up in your face at times, so it's a different sensation.

I'll give it some time. Some other sources aren't so clear. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #3,762 of 6,742

I got the elear last Saturday (loan for a week) and I notice a distortion in the midbass too. It happens now and then; not comfortable at all.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #3,763 of 6,742
I got the elear last Saturday (loan for a week) and I notice a distortion in the midbass too. It happens now and then; not comfortable at all.

Yeah it's off and on depending on the source - perhaps the new amp has just made it more noticeable to me in the last week or so.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #3,765 of 6,742
Yeah, going to call tomorrow. I'd rather have peace of mind ultimately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back