Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #3,811 of 6,742
when reading opinions about headphones they're mostly homogeneous. if you read about the hd650 most people write about the same characteristics but with elear there are opinions that are polar opposites. maybe the explanation is that quality control is not tight, some get shittier headphones. because other way I don't get it

Aug 30, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #3,812 of 6,742
I feel like there have been an increase in negative impressions of the Elear lately. Most of the posts I can understand, but some of the most negative ones are just beyond me. Like someone claiming that the HD650 sounds better, whaat?

Personally I really like the Elear, as I've stated before. It's biggest flaw for me is the 4k dip which can give them a honky-ish sound in the midrange. This I can fix pretty easily with EQ, although that introduces just a slight graininess in some vocals. The other flaws that are mentioned: Bloated bass, zingy treble, poor soundstage etc... I just can't hear it. I mean, the soundstage isn't massively expansive like the HD800, but it isn't bad IMO. Width is decent and I have no problems with depth either, although with that said I usually prefer a more intimate presentation of vocals.

The Elear is still my "endgame" for dynamic/planar, I've heard quite a few 1000$+ competitors and IMO the Elear can compete with pretty much anything.
With that said I actually sold my Elears about a week ago (I miss them already lol). Sold them in favor of a Stax system, imo electrostats have an amazing clarity and resolution that can't be matched by normal dynamics/planars. Still, with the Elear's many great qualities, I might end up buying them back one day.

There is a regular routine on Head Fi, one I've commented on before. First, there is the hype train, where the component being talked about is the best thing since mother's milk. Next, also predictable, is the backlash phase, where they stink, $50 cans beat them, don't know how hyped up these things are. Then, eventually, reality sets in, generally somewhere in the middle...
my $0.02...

Aug 30, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #3,813 of 6,742
There is a regular routine on Head Fi, one I've commented on before. First, there is the hype train, where the component being talked about is the best thing since mother's milk. Next, also predictable, is the backlash phase, where they stink, $50 cans beat them, don't know how hyped up these things are. Then, eventually, reality sets in, generally somewhere in the middle...
my $0.02...
I have to say you nailed it. For full disclosure: I've owned an Elear since January, running them through a Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Cavalli Liquid Carbon, and it all sounds good to me. No complaints.

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #3,814 of 6,742
when reading opinions about headphones they're mostly homogeneous. if you read about the hd650 most people write about the same characteristics but with elear there are opinions that are polar opposites. maybe the explanation is that quality control is not tight, some get ****tier headphones. because other way I don't get it

I too have thought about a possible quality control issue. We all know the problems the Utopia was having so I don't see why the Elear would be immune from possible issues. Some of these reviews and impressions sound like they're listening to a different headphone so maybe there are some Elears with quality control issues.

I'd like to know when people got their Elears to see if it might be a certain batch that may have problems. I got mine in Oct 2016, so my pair was an early batch like what Tyll reviewed because I pretty much hear them like he did.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #3,815 of 6,742
I feel like there have been an increase in negative impressions of the Elear lately. Most of the posts I can understand, but some of the most negative ones are just beyond me. Like someone claiming that the HD650 sounds better, whaat?

Personally I really like the Elear, as I've stated before. It's biggest flaw for me is the 4k dip which can give them a honky-ish sound in the midrange. This I can fix pretty easily with EQ, although that introduces just a slight graininess in some vocals. The other flaws that are mentioned: Bloated bass, zingy treble, poor soundstage etc... I just can't hear it. I mean, the soundstage isn't massively expansive like the HD800, but it isn't bad IMO. Width is decent and I have no problems with depth either, although with that said I usually prefer a more intimate presentation of vocals.

The Elear is still my "endgame" for dynamic/planar, I've heard quite a few 1000$+ competitors and IMO the Elear can compete with pretty much anything.
With that said I actually sold my Elears about a week ago (I miss them already lol). Sold them in favor of a Stax system, imo electrostats have an amazing clarity and resolution that can't be matched by normal dynamics/planars. Still, with the Elear's many great qualities, I might end up buying them back one day.

I agree with what you say and I am also happy with my Elear. However, for classical music the Elear leaves me wanting. What did you end up buying? A Stax L700?

I am thinking of getting the Utopia. I have heard it in various settings and it is big step up from the Elear. However, in one particular setup at a recent headfi meet in NY the Utopia paired with Headamp gs-x mk2 was too harsh and bright for me. The Stax 009 paired with a Blue Hawaii was in a different league altogether for classical. I wish I could have the Stax but it is not going to happen. The L700 was clearly a step down from the 009. For example, it did not present a continuous soundstage from left to right in front of you as the 009 did. But the L700 was still peferable than the Utopia in this particular setup.

Aug 30, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #3,816 of 6,742
I too have thought about a possible quality control issue. We all know the problems the Utopia was having so I don't see why the Elear would be immune from possible issues. Some of these reviews and impressions sound like they're listening to a different headphone so maybe there are some Elears with quality control issues.

I'd like to know when people got their Elears to see if it might be a certain batch that may have problems. I got mine in Oct 2016, so my pair was an early batch like what Tyll reviewed because I pretty much hear them like he did.
Well, there was the Elear issue where some people got crackling in the driver (mechanical clipping) at lower volumes than others. Still, I can't really believe that a respected brand like Foca, who builds their cans in-house, would have such an issue... I've listened to three pairs of Elears that sounded the same, not that that's a big enough number to be used as "proof" but still...

Aug 30, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #3,817 of 6,742
I agree with what you say and I am also happy with my Elear. However, for classical music the Elear leaves me wanting. What did you end up buying? A Stax L700?

I am thinking of getting the Utopia. I have heard it in various settings and it is big step up from the Elear. However, in one particular setup at a recent headfi meet in NY the Utopia paired with Headamp gs-x mk2 was too harsh and bright for me. The Stax 009 paired with a Blue Hawaii was in a different league altogether for classical. I wish I could have the Stax but it is not going to happen. The L700 was clearly a step down from the 009. For example, it did not present a continuous soundstage from left to right in front of you as the 009 did. But the L700 was still peferable than the Utopia in this particular setup.
Ended up with the 3100 bundle for now, but I definitely have my eyes on the L700 down the road. Stax in general have an incredible resolution and detail retrieval, and they never sound harsh or strident. On this point, even the L300 outperforms flagship dynamics/planars imo.

The biggest difference between the 009 and lambdas imo was the soundstage. The 009 has a more threedimensional, expansive soundstage compared to the lambdas intimate presentation (which I personally like). Other than that, 009 has slightly better separation from what I recall. All in all, I think the L700 is reeeally close to the 009 except for the soundstage, and the L300 isn't extremely far off the L700 either.

All three of them easily outperform the Elear (and most other cans) in terms of clarity, resolution, separation etc, and they deliver the music in a much less fatiguing, more natural way (it's hard to describe). They are lacking in some areas though, like bass extension and some slam, dynamics, and soundstage (for the lambdas).

Aug 30, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #3,818 of 6,742
Ended up with the 3100 bundle for now, but I definitely have my eyes on the L700 down the road. Stax in general have an incredible resolution and detail retrieval, and they never sound harsh or strident. On this point, even the L300 outperforms flagship dynamics/planars imo.

The biggest difference between the 009 and lambdas imo was the soundstage. The 009 has a more threedimensional, expansive soundstage compared to the lambdas intimate presentation (which I personally like). Other than that, 009 has slightly better separation from what I recall. All in all, I think the L700 is reeeally close to the 009 except for the soundstage, and the L300 isn't extremely far off the L700 either.

All three of them easily outperform the Elear (and most other cans) in terms of clarity, resolution, separation etc, and they deliver the music in a much less fatiguing, more natural way (it's hard to describe). They are lacking in some areas though, like bass extension and some slam, dynamics, and soundstage (for the lambdas).

Yes I understand when you say that the Electrostats “deliver the music in a much less fatiguing, more natural way (it's hard to describe)” because I had the same conclusion. The Utopia -in comparission- was if someone had attached two speakers to my ears and notes were thrown at me. The Stax on the other hand presented the acoustic music closer to being present at the live event. It felt more natural and much less artificial or fatiguing as you say. Having waxed lyrical about electrostats however, I would definitely pick the Elear or a dynamic/planar if I wanted to rock out. So I can easily understand that for a large number of people the electrostats are not their cup of tea.

Aug 30, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #3,819 of 6,742
I found that the Elears did sound pleasing with certain types of music, but they are the least versatile pair of headphones I had ever owned; I found myself having to look for music which they sounded good with. My experience with them doesn't match what I have read. Many people say that the bass is impactful, but to me it sounded slow and soft. They also sounded muddled with complex music - I found that the HD650s had better separation and composure than the Elears, and the Beyerdynamic DT1990s, Amiron and T1.2s are in another league.

I spent a few hours in a high-end hifi shop, surrounded by ridiculously expensive hi-fi gear, auditioning the Elear and Utopia. I was curious enough to buy a pair of Elears, just to see if they would grow on me. After owning them for a while I saw them as a bit of a novelty, and I found that with the music where they did sound ok, other (cheaper) headphones sounded even better.

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #3,820 of 6,742
Well, there was the Elear issue where some people got crackling in the driver (mechanical clipping) at lower volumes than others. Still, I can't really believe that a respected brand like Foca, who builds their cans in-house, would have such an issue... I've listened to three pairs of Elears that sounded the same, not that that's a big enough number to be used as "proof" but still...

I don't think even if there was a quality control issue that it would affect very many of the headphones. I'm not saying there is one I just find it funny that people can listen to the Elear and have very different impressions of them. To me saying the bass on the Elear is bad is like saying the imaging of the HD800 sucks, it's just not true.

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #3,822 of 6,742
I don't think even if there was a quality control issue that it would affect very many of the headphones. I'm not saying there is one I just find it funny that people can listen to the Elear and have very different impressions of them. To me saying the bass on the Elear is bad is like saying the imaging of the HD800 sucks, it's just not true.
What I have learned from all the forums of different headphones, there are all kind of like dislike of same headphone.
No headphone can please everyone, period.
Just don't be upset if people don't like the headphone that you like.
See that Sony Z1R thread was locked away by admin. because some are getting personal on the matter.

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3,823 of 6,742
which of those three are your favorite? happy Elear owner, but recognize it's shortcomings, and trying to decide between DT1990 and T1.2... I love my DT990s and have been wanting to get a new set of BDs.
I sold my T1.2s when I got the DT1990s. I found that the T1s had a very slightly recessed midrange, and this has been fixed with the DT1990. The DT1990 has ever-so slightly more bass than the T1, and on both the bass is much tighter and faster than the Elear's. The Elear has more bass, but it's quantity over quality. I've only heard the Amiron for a short while, but I recall that it had a more laid.back sound. I'm just about to order a pair though. So I know that I prefer the DT1990 over the T1.2. Not quite sure about the Amirons yet though. BTW, I only ever listen to the DT1990s with the 'balanced' pads.

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #3,825 of 6,742
The recent comments about the Elear have been very interesting. To hear how much passion there is on both sidestells me that the Elear is a great headphone. It doesn't spark blah, it sparks great or I just don't like it. They tuned it a certain way. It evokes passion.

I can tell you the Elear benefits greatly from a better cable. I use a silver dragon which gives the midrange more body, tightens up the bass and makes the treble less peaky. To me, this cable turned the Elear into a headphone I love instead of like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back