Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #3,796 of 6,742
I disagree, I found the Focal Elear to be a honky mid-rangy headphone, I was not able to stand them. They lack soundstage depth, width, height, bass and the treble is awful. They sound to me like a honking AM radio at full blast in my poor ears.

The Elear does lack some soundstage width but depth they do not, they have one of the best depth of field I've heard from a headphone. Also, the bass is phenomenal, I can go up 5 or 6 dB on the EQ and it handles it like a champ. I don't know if yours were defective or what but it's like you're listening to a totally different headphone imo.

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #3,797 of 6,742
I know we all hear things differently but when I read some reviews and impressions it really is like they're listening to a different headphone from mine. I can see how the Elear might not be some peoples cup of tea but to hear people say it sound bad makes no sense to me. There are a few headphones I don't like to listen to like the HD800 but I'd never say it sounds bad, it just doesn't have a sound signature I enjoy but technically it's a good headphone.

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #3,798 of 6,742
with the elears I can listen to details in music extra clearly compared to the hd650. one example would be the guitar + phase shift effect on Tuesday's gone. I can just hear it with the hd650 but with the elear is really in my face like when I hear it when I'm playing electric guitar. also instrument separation is better than the hd650.
the hd650s are smoother and more comfortable to use for long periods of time

Aug 29, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #3,799 of 6,742
I don't have my HD600 anymore to compare but they where extremely comfortable, though I find the Elear to be quite comfortable as well. I've had some long sessions where I'm wearing the Elear for 5 hours or more and they feel fine, I might take them off once or twice for a minute or 2.

Aug 29, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #3,800 of 6,742
I listened to the Elears through a Sony headphone amp and have to say I was really disappointed - the vocals seemed far more forward than the rest of the music and I had to turn the volume down to restore a sensible and not painful volume for the vocals - that meant the rest of the music was more withdrawn and, well, just not right !

I was so disappointed as I was sure from what I had read they would be just what I wanted.

I tried the Utopia though and fell in love !! Oops !!! Superb is the only way I could describe them and I think if I can save the money that is the way I will head. I was so hoping the Elears were going to be what I wanted but it wasn't to be.

FWIW I listen using a Pioneer U-05 and Grado GS1000e / Audeze EL-8 open / Oppo PM-2 or Grado PS500e.

Aug 29, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #3,801 of 6,742
I don't have my HD600 anymore to compare but they where extremely comfortable, though I find the Elear to be quite comfortable as well. I've had some long sessions where I'm wearing the Elear for 5 hours or more and they feel fine, I might take them off once or twice for a minute or 2.
sure I can use them for hours but from time to time I have to take them off and the pads get a little bit sweaty. the hd650 I can have them all day on without a problem.

just another thing on the sound. I haven't tried any other really "high end" headphone, or "expensive af", but what I really like is that guitars and bass guitars sound like what I hear from a real guitar/bass amps. Listening to another one bites the dust sounds like I'm listening to a bass amp near my head. also acoustic guitars have weight it's weird. for metal double bass drums sound really good because the bass has more impact than bloat. but again probably people with similar priced headphones have heard better and I'm missing out lol (not hating or anything, I'd like to try other headphones but it's really difficult. I'm not a focal fanboy)

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #3,802 of 6,742
I listened to the Elears through a Sony headphone amp and have to say I was really disappointed - the vocals seemed far more forward than the rest of the music and I had to turn the volume down to restore a sensible and not painful volume for the vocals - that meant the rest of the music was more withdrawn and, well, just not right !

I was so disappointed as I was sure from what I had read they would be just what I wanted.

I tried the Utopia though and fell in love !! Oops !!! Superb is the only way I could describe them and I think if I can save the money that is the way I will head. I was so hoping the Elears were going to be what I wanted but it wasn't to be.

FWIW I listen using a Pioneer U-05 and Grado GS1000e / Audeze EL-8 open / Oppo PM-2 or Grado PS500e.

Yup, I used the Elear for about 2 to 3 weeks then decided to trade in and upgrade more to Utopia.
Sounds much more lovely than Elear.
Decided to upgrade the chain more from WA6SE to ALO Studio Six. What a big difference did that make WOOOOOWWWW ! Put WA6SE in closet now, maybe to sell it later.

Well, contact your dealer fast for Utopia down to $3K with any used iem/hp working trade-in starting from 9/1/17 to 9/30/17.

Aug 29, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #3,803 of 6,742
sure I can use them for hours but from time to time I have to take them off and the pads get a little bit sweaty. the hd650 I can have them all day on without a problem.

just another thing on the sound. I haven't tried any other really "high end" headphone, or "expensive af", but what I really like is that guitars and bass guitars sound like what I hear from a real guitar/bass amps. Listening to another one bites the dust sounds like I'm listening to a bass amp near my head. also acoustic guitars have weight it's weird. for metal double bass drums sound really good because the bass has more impact than bloat. but again probably people with similar priced headphones have heard better and I'm missing out lol (not hating or anything, I'd like to try other headphones but it's really difficult. I'm not a focal fanboy)

To be honest the Elear is right there with the big boys in terms of SQ. My favorite headphone I've listened to was the LCD-3 and I'd say the Elear is about 85% to 90% as good. The LCD-3 would be a perfect headphone for what you like as they have fantastic bass and midrange, that is one of the only headphones I'd pay $2000 for.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #3,804 of 6,742
To be honest the Elear is right there with the big boys in terms of SQ. My favorite headphone I've listened to was the LCD-3 and I'd say the Elear is about 85% to 90% as good. The LCD-3 would be a perfect headphone for what you like as they have fantastic bass and midrange, that is one of the only headphones I'd pay $2000 for.
damn. now I'll obsess and won't stop thinking about the lcd3

Aug 29, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #3,805 of 6,742
Yup, I used the Elear for about 2 to 3 weeks then decided to trade in and upgrade more to Utopia.
Sounds much more lovely than Elear.
Decided to upgrade the chain more from WA6SE to ALO Studio Six. What a big difference did that make WOOOOOWWWW ! Put WA6SE in closet now, maybe to sell it later.

Well, contact your dealer fast for Utopia down to $3K with any used iem/hp working trade-in starting from 9/1/17 to 9/30/17.

I'll bet that's a sweet sounding upgrade wow is right, I really enjoy my Elear's but the Utopia's must sound amazing & the studio six I've listened to one real nice amp..enjoy

Aug 29, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #3,806 of 6,742
damn. now I'll obsess and won't stop thinking about the lcd3

Excitement, excitement but in all that, and sounding like a listener who knows what he wants and what to listen for wouldn’t you consider put your $green$ towards front end first?

Just look at meomap’s electrifying post about mentioned upgrade to his front end/amplification. Similarly, the way I see it it’s better to max your transducers capabilities by feeding them with highest quality signal rather than invest $1k in Elear or other higher end hp and have them reproduce only fraction of what they’re are capable of due to lack of adequate front end signal. I am not only referring to hardware as a source, but also music feed. There are multi $k DACs capable of providing online streaming, but I can hardly see Tidal/Spotify as a high end source worth consideration. Yes, Tidal offers its lossless services, but only on computer end clients, not portable streamers. Sorry, 320kbs won’t cut for evaluating higher end equipment, IMO.

Generally I would consider specific $$$ headphones to be matched with similarly priced associated gear. If you allow for a moment to entertain the idea of hi-end audio price/value I would suggest to match your $1k headphones with similar gear in signal path. Say, around $1k DAC, similarly priced hp amp, adequate interconnects and finally well recorded, hi-rez media. Various DSD formats may be fine if recorder in such resolution (L2) but any native transfer or recording in 24/88 may just do fine to evaluate higher end gear.

Let’s throw some titles to illustrate.

Each of these acoustic recordings was done by major labels with great instruments separation, imaging, instrumental details (cymbal work on Charlie Haden’s album), and interesting music to make the eval going.

Mind you, Chesky’s dummy head mics placement maybe of love/hate deal, but at least you can hear what Elear can do imaging wise, in all directions.

1.JPG
2.JPG

3.png

Cheers

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #3,807 of 6,742
I know really good haden's private collection. I use second track for test. Of course elear isn't perfect. Never tried utopia and i'm really curious. But i think that is more logic to compare elear with headphones in the same range price

Aug 30, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #3,808 of 6,742
I know really good haden's private collection. I use second track for test. Of course elear isn't perfect. Never tried utopia and i'm really curious. But i think that is more logic to compare elear with headphones in the same range price
There is no "logic" in this hobby :k701smile:

Aug 30, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #3,810 of 6,742
I feel like there have been an increase in negative impressions of the Elear lately. Most of the posts I can understand, but some of the most negative ones are just beyond me. Like someone claiming that the HD650 sounds better, whaat?

Personally I really like the Elear, as I've stated before. It's biggest flaw for me is the 4k dip which can give them a honky-ish sound in the midrange. This I can fix pretty easily with EQ, although that introduces just a slight graininess in some vocals. The other flaws that are mentioned: Bloated bass, zingy treble, poor soundstage etc... I just can't hear it. I mean, the soundstage isn't massively expansive like the HD800, but it isn't bad IMO. Width is decent and I have no problems with depth either, although with that said I usually prefer a more intimate presentation of vocals.

The Elear is still my "endgame" for dynamic/planar, I've heard quite a few 1000$+ competitors and IMO the Elear can compete with pretty much anything.
With that said I actually sold my Elears about a week ago (I miss them already lol). Sold them in favor of a Stax system, imo electrostats have an amazing clarity and resolution that can't be matched by normal dynamics/planars. Still, with the Elear's many great qualities, I might end up buying them back one day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back