Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #1,324 of 6,742
Oh c'mon guys he is talking to a camera and are wearing it just for the sake of demonstration, the cable DOES looks ridiculous, the squeaks DOES sound annoying (the mic catch it few times) and the weight compared to the average DOES sounds heavy, especially for a man like him that used to wear MA900 and R70x as daily, we all can see he value comfort a lot more than normal bloke does.
For me LLAT still is the place to go as his taste match mine in a lot of cases, and his preference of Japanese headphones tuning does reverberate with my testing and experience so I value his review a lot.
It's always good to watch multiple reviews to get different perspectives, and for me, Z Reviews and LLAT (that I trust and know their preferences and circumstances of) gives quite a wide band of viewpoints to wiggle around on. For you, it might be different and you may have already found another reviewer that match yours better but I'll settle with reviews I trust and my own testing as guidance for my purchase.
If the dip in the upper mids - lower treble that noticeable it will be a deal breaker to me too. Again personal testing is important.
And I don't understand the negativity, I think his impressions of it it quite positive, just it doesn't suit his circumstances and preferences.

I personally watch loads of reviews from many different reviewers, including LLAT and I still think this one was poor even by his own standards. As for Z reviews I can't take them seriously. I just find them hilarious. Entertaining definitely, educational and informative I'm not so sure?

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,325 of 6,742
Ahaha agree, Zeos likes to be vague and bombastic, but i know his preferences so I can kinda get what his takes on it, especially when it's coupled with his sound demo. In general, I usually likes the ones that he doesn't particularly fond of, (like M70x, MA900), so I can get some information out of his review.
For LLAT I think he's trying out new formats and more of a freestyle lately, it's less structured but it's still his honest opinion... So, why not? It feels more personal anyhow and I actually quite like it.

Dec 1, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #1,326 of 6,742
Oh c'mon guys he is talking to a camera and are wearing it just for the sake of demonstration, the cable DOES looks ridiculous, the squeaks DOES sound annoying (the mic catch it few times) and the weight compared to the average DOES sounds heavy, especially for a man like him that used to wear MA900 and R70x as daily, we all can see he value comfort a lot more than normal bloke does.

And I don't understand the negativity, I think his impressions of it it quite positive, just it doesn't suit his circumstances and preferences.

Yes...my thoughts on it exactly.  I'd rather have an honest review..than one slap happy rubber stamp one that serves no useful purpose.  

Bern

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #1,328 of 6,742
  I personally watch loads of reviews from many different reviewers, including LLAT and I still think this one was poor even by his own standards. As for Z reviews I can't take them seriously. I just find them hilarious. Entertaining definitely, educational and informative I'm not so sure?

The thing is, he is learning as he goes. He doesn't know much more than his core audience. The people that are high on the z reviews right now, will look back a year from now and think, why did I need him to tell me that !

Dec 1, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #1,330 of 6,742
just got the Elear cans they sure have stunning reviews out cool I'll post some pics when they arrive..

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #1,331 of 6,742
Typical head-fi - Someone puts out a review that isn't GUSHING with love for a headphone, and the response is the guy is a bad reviewer and you're done watching his videos and listening to his stuff and he doesn't know anything.

Come on, seriously? A review is someone's impressions, and as anyone should know, everyone has different ears and likes different sound signatures. There is not one agreed upon best headphone out there. Not only that, he said he liked them a number of times, but pointed out that they were not as comfortable as he liked and that the dip bothered him.

If you love them, great enjoy, but you really shouldn't say the guy is clueless because he doesn't like them as much as you do. We need more honest people and reviews, and I would prefer that to be the norm than every reviewer calling every product perfect and amazing in every single way just to appease those who own it.

I don't doubt Elear is just about perfect for some of you, but it isn't universally perfect for everybody. Nothing is.

Dec 1, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #1,332 of 6,742
I know frequency response tests are all relative to the test setup, but I do note that the manufacturer states the frequency response is 5Hz - 23kHz (-3dB).  This suggests that there aren't any drastic dips along that curve until 23kHz.  How does this jive with the 4-5khz gap?  

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:12 AM Post #1,333 of 6,742
Hello, my current gear includes OPPO HA-1 and OPPO PM-1 (with Roon and HQPlayer with microRendu/LP1, mostly 24/192 PCM and DSD128/256 sources), and been reading any comparison posts in Internet between PM-1 and Focal Elear.

I was wondering, would most of you consider PM-1 to Elear, be a lateral move?

Or, step in the improvement?

I've been so far content with PM-1, listening to various music choices.

One notable review i've read is here,

http://audio-head.com/focal-elear-headphone-review/

Overall, the Elear has the big bass, lush mids and easy-going treble that you’d find in headphones like the Audeze LCD-2, Oppo PM-1, ZMF Omni in cherry wood or even the Sennheiser HD650.  However, because of that extended, airy treble, it’s much more balanced and open sounding than any of those headphones.  I might also compare it loosely to the MrSpeakers Ether 1.1 (open-backed).  The Ether doesn’t have the same level of sub-bass extension and it keeps the treble flat all the way through, offering a slightly different flavor.  Fans of brighter headphones like the Hifiman HE-560 or Sennheiser HD 800 might find that the Elear isn’t quite their flavor of choice.

The part about open sounding seem to interesting since most reviewers of PM-1 observes narrower sound stage of PM-1 given PM-1 open headphone nature.  For me, seems okay for the sound stage, but i've never had anything to compare with other than my other OPPO headphone, PM-3, which is closed headphone.

Just wondering how much wider, huge the sound stage and microdynamics will Elear give me, i'm guessing not a revolutionary upgrade, but still perhaps a meaningful evolutionary upgrade?

Or, am i better off going to next best thing, Utopia (or LCD-4), which i'm certain will be a revolutionary upgrade.

Thanks much.

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #1,334 of 6,742
Typical head-fi - Someone puts out a review that isn't GUSHING with love for a headphone, and the response is the guy is a bad reviewer and you're done watching his videos and listening to his stuff and he doesn't know anything.

Come on, seriously? A review is someone's impressions, and as anyone should know, everyone has different ears and likes different sound signatures. There is not one agreed upon best headphone out there. Not only that, he said he liked them a number of times, but pointed out that they were not as comfortable as he liked and that the dip bothered him.

If you love them, great enjoy, but you really shouldn't say the guy is clueless because he doesn't like them as much as you do. We need more honest people and reviews, and I would prefer that to be the norm than every reviewer calling every product perfect and amazing in every single way just to appease those who own it.

I don't doubt Elear is just about perfect for some of you, but it isn't universally perfect for everybody. Nothing is.

I personally haven't read where anyone was saying he was clueless or that he's a bad reviewer? I said I thought the review was poor and that is still my opinion and yes I have enjoyed some of his earlier reviews. His style of approach was different in this review and it just didn't gel with me. Simples!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back