Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Dec 5, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #1,351 of 6,742
I'm confused after reading through many impressions on the Elear on the Internet. How dark really is the Elear? Some say Utopia is bright, so is the Elear on the opposite of that spectrum?

I find the reports of the dark quality of this headphone WAY overstated. It's a mostly well balanced headphone with a slight 1 to 2 db dip around 1 to 4k. I may go as far to say is a very slightly warm headphone.

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #1,353 of 6,742
I find the reports of the dark quality of this headphone WAY overstated. It's a mostly well balanced headphone with a slight 1 to 2 db dip around 1 to 4k. I may go as far to say is a very slightly warm headphone.

Even subjectively I think the dip is more than 1-2db. Not noticeable in some tracks, but in others it can affect how female vocals, violins, etc. sound. The sound signature has really grown on me even more than my initial "wow" impression, but I think some will be bothered by it.

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #1,355 of 6,742
It's definitely a darker sounding headphone than the HD650, and people consider that dark.

This is odd. My HD-650 is modded to be less dark than stock, and after adjusting to the sound of the Elear, the 650 sounds muddy and veiled in comparison, without readjustment.

I have read however, that the Elear is sensitive to amplifier output impedance. That it needs to be no more than a few ohms. Too high and the impedance curve will boost the midbass significantly. This could be a source of varying impressions. The Mojo and the Sangaku I have in loaner both have low output impedance, so the bass is not exaggerated at all.

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #1,356 of 6,742
It's most likely varying subjective impressions on what we consider dark/bright etc.  Recently I had the chance to compare the HD650 and Elear side by side for a couple days on the Jotunheim.  From bass to upper midrange-lower treble, the Elear is by far the darker sounding headphone.  It has more bass than the HD650, the lower midrange is just as strong, and there's that big dip in the upper-mid, lower-treble transition that tends to kill harmonics.  The only time I could think of someone considering the Elear brighter is commenting on its small treble spike at 10k, which the HD650 does not have.  it's not like the HD650 is lacking very much upper treble though.

Dec 6, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,357 of 6,742
I have both the Elear and the 650.  Have listened to both balanced and SE.  I would definitely not say the Elear is darker than the 650. The 650 scales well with balanced cables.  The extra power seems to really benefit them.  But the Elears are still better sounding to me.  More detail, better dynamics, and slam.  SE the difference between the two is even greater. IMO

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #1,358 of 6,742
I've had the Elears about a month now and really really hoped these would finally be the ones to be a clear upgrade over my HD650's. I've gone back and forth a lot but if I had to pick only one today it would have to be the 650's. It's the recessed midrange that I just can't get past. Also don't find them to be very comfortable.

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #1,359 of 6,742
Very interesting thread right now. So much different opinions on Elear vs hd650. Seems only personal comparison can give one an insight on subjective preferring.
How about the ability to be driven by an DAP like the QP1R? I assume the Elear is easily driven, but the Senn with 300 ohms maybe harder to really shine?

Dec 6, 2016 at 8:22 PM Post #1,361 of 6,742
I found this link comparing the elear vs hd800

https://m.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/54kbgx/focal_elear_vs_sennheiser_hd800_an_indepth/

Not sure whether it is worth comparing the elear vs HD 650, not in the same league.

I should receive my elear tomorrow or on Thursday.

Most likely I will replace the Hifiman he 500 with the elear.

Dec 6, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #1,362 of 6,742
Have been comparing these to what I have in the house (FAD Sonorous VI, Hifiman HE-560, Shure 1540, Koss ESP-950), not a slam dunk, each brings something else to the table, the Elear has a coherence that is very appealing to my ears...

Dec 6, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #1,363 of 6,742
No, not a slam dunk at all. I have the 800s, 650 and Elear and all have good and bad points. My favorite varies from day to day. Right now it would be the 650 so for me the 650 and Elear are definitely in the same league.

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #1,364 of 6,742
... That it needs to be no more than a few ohms. Too high and the impedance curve will boost the midbass significantly.

Really? I'm not saying this isn't so, I have no way of knowing, but I have used "mismatched" impedances before and the effects are subtle at best in my limited experience. For instance, while I'm writing this post I'm using the 16ohm, 105db sensitivity ONKYO H900M with an OTL (Output Transformer-less) amp (La Figaro 339) and the bass doesn't seem greatly effected. Again, I am not saying what you are reporting about the Elear is false, it could very well be true, but I was curious what tests have been done to determine this. To be clear, I'm actually asking, not just pretending as I am always interested in such things. Cheers.

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #1,365 of 6,742

I need help. I purchased Elear after seeing so many positive reviews including Tyll's. I got it and did not like the sound out of box. Then I started ruining it for about 60 hours (pairing with Chord Mojo directly and Mojo->Luxman P-200). I still do not like it. This is compared to HD800 and AKG812 directly via Mojo or Mojo->Luxman. So my question is what is the actual break in period for it to come to life. AKG K712 for instance need over 100hrs. I just want to understand and if it is not going to improve I have no hesitate to get rid of it. I listen to female vocals, melodies, Yanni. Kenny G, some classicals, eastern music, Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Simon & G, Eagles etc.  
I acknowledge Elear gives experience like listening to floor standing speakers, thick in sound, more in my head, punchy and very easy on ears. But for me mids and highs are lacking, clarity/details lacking, sound stage-missing, separation lacking (all compared to HD800). I also believe that it much more real (if you believe speakers are the real thing) and much easy on my ears for any music.

But I want my headphones not be speakers (if so I will use speakers) and I want a that enjoyment that I get from HD800 amplified. Not sure I got my expectations wrong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back