Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2016 at 2:53 AM Post #1,231 of 6,742
  I've had my Focal Elear's for around 3 weeks now, upgrading from a pair of Sennheiser HD700's. They are quite a jump in terms of sound and build quality from the HD700s and I'd like to think that I won't be looking to upgrade these for some time, if at all. 

I first heard the Elear's at Canjam London back in August and for me, they were the standout headphones there (in terms of price/performance) and I promptly put myself on the pre-order list with Focal. I also heard them at the National Audio Show in the UK in September and Headroom in October, each time I listened it reaffirmed for me that these are truly special headphones and I made the right choice in ordering them.

My only small gripe is with the supplied cable, far too long and unwieldy for my use (at a desk) - thankfully my re-terminated Forza Audioworks Noir MK2 cable arrived today after 2 weeks away, so can now get on with enjoying these headphones and not having to battle the cable every 5 minutes.

Did you find any difference between Forza cable and stock cable with respect to sound ?

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,232 of 6,742
To be honest, no, but then my main reasons for changing the cable were better for ergonomics and aesthetics. I haven't done any critical listening / comparisons between the two cables and frankly i'm far to busy enjoying the Elear's to bother.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #1,233 of 6,742
  To be honest, no, but then my main reasons for changing the cable were better for ergonomics and aesthetics. I haven't done any critical listening / comparisons between the two cables and frankly i'm far to busy enjoying the Elear's to bother.

Love that iFi stack by the way. I had the Micro for about 6 months and I loved it. It was hard to believe the sound quality produced by such a tiny device!

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #1,235 of 6,742
I have no complaints at all, but then I haven't heard a lot of kit so can't really make any comparisons. The ifi micro stack drives the Elears with authority. I can only imagine that the ifi pro will be a step up from this.

I've also got my eye on the ifi Pro range as a potential upgrade in the near future.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,236 of 6,742
I have no complaints at all, but then I haven't heard a lot of kit so can't really make any comparisons. The ifi micro stack drives the Elears with authority. I can only imagine that the ifi pro will be a step up from this.

I've also got my eye on the ifi Pro range as a potential upgrade in the near future.

Me too. Looking at the iCan & new Pro DAC that will be released early 2017 :blush:

Nov 14, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #1,237 of 6,742
i would stear away from iFi products ,,, they lack sound stage and air ,,
i have the micro iDSD & mini iUSB3 , collecting dust ,, i dont like them at all..

Nov 14, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #1,239 of 6,742
  i would stear away from iFi products ,,, they lack sound stage and air ,,
i have the micro iDSD & mini iUSB3 , collecting dust ,, i dont like them at all..

In all fairness, that is just one opinion, most people here speak highly of the iFi line, quite highly. I don't know that the amp and dac can effect those aspects of a song, the sound stage and air are characteristics that are created by design during the mastering phase. I could be wrong, maybe to an extent the components have some effect in this sense, but all I know is that when I had my Micro and I played material with soundstage I didn't notice it was restricted, maybe I just missed it, but I suspect if it is at all an issue, it is likely rather subtle.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #1,240 of 6,742
  Super interested in a comparison of the Elear and the Fostex TH900. I am debating between the two and hoping I don't have to buy both!

Cheers

I own both. 

The TH-900 are better for EDM, in that they focus more on the lower frequencies, with detail and impact. The Elear has bass and you can feel it, but it isn't the same thing. The TH900 bass isn't bloated though, not like, say the Shure SRH1540, which sounds super bloated and veiled compared to the TH900.

I don't think you would be disappointed by either headphone, and the Elear is certainly not bass light, but it is not as v-shaped as the TH900.

If I had to own just one it would be a tough choice. I would probably go with the Elear in that case.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #1,241 of 6,742
For anyone looking for another cable for the Elear, my Beyerdynamic T5P.2 cable works perfectly with the Elear and it looks good too. I'm going to order a second cable 1.4m so that I don't have to use the ridiculous cable it comes with.

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #1,242 of 6,742
Any recommendations for the Elear then?

Cant say for now  ,,, i am waiting my Elear from moon-audio within next weeks ,,

i dont like iFi with all of my cans ,, LCD-X , TH-900 , HE-400 , AQ NightHawk , and others ..

In all fairness, that is just one opinion, most people here speak highly of the iFi line, quite highly. I don't know that the amp and dac can effect those aspects of a song, the sound stage and air are characteristics that are created by design during the mastering phase. I could be wrong, maybe to an extent the components have some effect in this sense, but all I know is that when I had my Micro and I played material with soundstage I didn't notice it was restricted, maybe I just missed it, but I suspect if it is at all an issue, it is likely rather subtle.

Yah if it was not the reviews and opinion of other people i would not get it ,, but after using it ,, i can judge it my self ,,
really am not making it ,, this is what i hear ,, it suck the air out of headphones , not sure how to explain it,  but my ears dont like it at all
it kill the musicality and life of sound ..

For anyone looking for another cable for the Elear, my Beyerdynamic T5P.2 cable works perfectly with the Elear and it looks good too. I'm going to order a second cable 1.4m so that I don't have to use the ridiculous cable it comes with.

thanks for the recommendation ,, it is OCC 7N copper with very nice price ..

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #1,243 of 6,742
Where do you buy that T5P.2 cable?

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #1,244 of 6,742
I went about 6 days without listening to my Elear and instead listened to my Nighthawk and HD700. When I finally listened to the Elear again it was so obvious how much better they are than my NH and HD700, which are both really nice hp's in their own right. They sound so much more dynamic and I know that's what a lot of people say but its so true. I'm going to barrow a pair of LCD-2 fazor and compare because that was the other headphone I was looking at when I bought the Elear.

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #1,245 of 6,742
I went about 6 days without listening to my Elear and instead listened to my Nighthawk and HD700. When I finally listened to the Elear again it was so obvious how much better they are than my NH and HD700, which are both really nice hp's in their own right. They sound so much more dynamic and I know that's what a lot of people say but its so true. I'm going to barrow a pair of LCD-2 fazor and compare because that was the other headphone I was looking at when I bought the Elear.

Don´t do it your brain will be split in two which to keep lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back