Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Dec 27, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #5,551 of 5,632
I guess it would have been more sales if you had made it 'Clex' instead of 'Elex'.
Not just the naming, but nearly identical in every aspects to Clear as HD6XX to HD650.

At least gives Elex the case that comes with Clear which probably only costs $10-$15 to manufacture.
An Elear with Clear pads and extra XLR cable are just not enough of a differentiator considering the wait and existing street prices of Elear

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 27, 2017 at 6:59 AM Post #5,552 of 5,632
Not just the naming, but nearly identical in every aspects to Clear as HD6XX to HD650.

There is more significant difference between the Elear (or Elex) and the Clear. The drivers are different. I believe there is some deeper explanation of this in the YouTube video from Jude, when speaking with the Focal rep. Each of the three headphones (Elear, Clear, Utopia) has a different driver.

Removed pad reference from my post - this was incorrect. Left the rest though as HD6XX and HD650 are, at minimum, the same drivers. The Focal headphones are still distinct.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #5,553 of 5,632
There is more significant difference between the Elear (or Elex) and the Clear. The drivers are different. Though the Elex has the pads from the Clear, and this addresses some of the deficiencies of the headphone, it is still quite different from the newer Clear headphone. I believe there is some deeper explanation of this in the YouTube video from Jude, when speaking with the Focal rep. Each of the three headphones (Elear, Clear, Utopia) has a different driver.

Yea there is some. thats why I said if they had made the 'Elex' a 'Clex'...

Dec 27, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #5,554 of 5,632
There is more significant difference between the Elear (or Elex) and the Clear. The drivers are different. Though the Elex has the pads from the Clear, and this addresses some of the deficiencies of the headphone, it is still quite different from the newer Clear headphone. I believe there is some deeper explanation of this in the YouTube video from Jude, when speaking with the Focal rep. Each of the three headphones (Elear, Clear, Utopia) has a different driver.

The Elex does not use the Clear pads.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 30, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #5,556 of 5,632
Back on topic, I made an XLR to 4.4mm adapter and have been able to compare the Utopia to the Elex a little more tonight :-

PC310004.jpg

The Utopia is noticeably more aggressive with a more impactful bite in comparison to the Elex. It grabs ones attention more forcefully whilst the Elex with its warmer tone is more mellowed. One observation however is the Utopia throws details in a very apparent way that if it's complex track that one is listening to, it can sound daunting and claustrophobic. However for simpler tracks with fewer acoustic instruments, the Utopia is simply sublime.

Naturally I wouldn't expect the Elex to be in the same technical league as the Utopia however the Elex is engaging in its own way that I could lay back and relax more whilst listening to it.

Dec 30, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #5,557 of 5,632
Back on topic, I made an XLR to 4.4mm adapter and have been able to compare the Utopia to the Elex a little more tonight :-

The Utopia is noticeably more aggressive with a more impactful bite in comparison to the Elex. It grabs ones attention more forcefully whilst the Elex with its warmer tone is more mellowed. One observation however is the Utopia throws details in a very apparent way that if it's complex track that one is listening to, it can sound daunting and claustrophobic. However for simpler tracks with fewer acoustic instruments, the Utopia is simply sublime.

Naturally I wouldn't expect the Elex to be in the same technical league as the Utopia however the Elex is engaging in its own way that I could lay back and relax more whilst listening to it.

Give us an example of this “complex track” thing you mentioned. I listen to what I would call very complex tracks and have never heard the Utopia have any issue continuing to deliver music in any way other than very nicely done. I won’t comment on your preferred choice of headphones since 1, I don’t sell it and 2, I’m 180 degrees opposite of your opinion.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Dec 30, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #5,558 of 5,632
Give us an example of this “complex track” thing you mentioned. I listen to what I would call very complex tracks and have never heard the Utopia have any issue continuing to deliver music in any way other than very nicely done. I won’t comment on your preferred choice of headphones since 1, I don’t sell it and 2, I’m 180 degrees opposite of your opinion.
Sure! Have a listen to Beatles' “A Day in a Life” for example most noticeably at various intervals of the song when all the instruments break in. However this isn't an easy track, as such comparison the comment of stage has to be in comparison to something else.

[Side note: Whilst on the Beatles, congrats to RIngo Starr on getting his knighthood]

Mind you I didn’t say “issue” as you have put it nor have I stated my preferred choice in that previous post. If I were to state my preference, I would still prefer the Utopia to the Elex for it's technical excellence. It's the closest to an electrostat without being an electrostat. However my current "all time fav" of what I have heard at the moment would have to be the Susvara - that's a separate topic.

Back to the Utopia, I was highlighting one observation and that was the staging. My thoughts on that aspect aren't just the Utopia against the Elex but in general even compared to other open headphones. As I put in my Utopia review written 13 months ago, the Utopia is a little closed sounding compared to the 3 headphones in that review. My opinion hasn't changed for the past 13 months (well the only change is now in comparison to 5 headphones where the Susvara and the Elex being the additions to what I've heard. I'd like to listen to the Clears as from what I've read, the Clears may sound a little more open than the Utopia too). To my ears, the Utopia is impeccable in retrieving copious mount of detail but the virtual place it creates is limited and when presenting all that detail in that rather closed virtual space, this is where I find it can sound daunting or claustrophobic. The Elex is a little more spacious sounding and the SR-009 and SR-007Mk1 even more so but all pales in comparison to the Susvara.

Yes I understand you can’t comment the Elex as you don’t distribute it. I have no concerns of your opinion naturally (each to their own, right?) but I'm curious what your other comparisons are as it helps to set some level of baseline.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #5,559 of 5,632
Sure! Have a listen to Beatles' “A Day in a Life” for example most noticeably at various intervals of the song when all the instruments break in. However this isn't an easy track, as such comparison the comment of stage has to be in comparison to something else.

[Side note: Whilst on the Beatles, congrats to RIngo Starr on getting his knighthood]

Mind you I didn’t say “issue” as you have put it nor have I stated my preferred choice in that previous post. If I were to state my preference, I would still prefer the Utopia to the Elex for it's technical excellence. It's the closest to an electrostat without being an electrostat. However my current "all time fav" of what I have heard at the moment would have to be the Susvara - that's a separate topic.

Back to the Utopia, I was highlighting one observation and that was the staging. My thoughts on that aspect aren't just the Utopia against the Elex but in general even compared to other open headphones. As I put in my Utopia review written 13 months ago, the Utopia is a little closed sounding compared to the 3 headphones in that review. My opinion hasn't changed for the past 13 months (well the only change is now in comparison to 5 headphones where the Susvara and the Elex being the additions to what I've heard. I'd like to listen to the Clears as from what I've read, the Clears may sound a little more open than the Utopia too). To my ears, the Utopia is impeccable in retrieving copious mount of detail but the virtual place it creates is limited and when presenting all that detail in that rather closed virtual space, this is where I find it can sound daunting or claustrophobic. The Elex is a little more spacious sounding and the SR-009 and SR-007Mk1 even more so but all pales in comparison to the Susvara.

Yes I understand you can’t comment the Elex as you don’t distribute it. I have no concerns of your opinion naturally (each to their own, right?) but I'm curious what your other comparisons are as it helps to set some level of baseline.

In this case the word “issue” is as it is in the disctionary “to put forth”. You put forth your impression. It wasn’t me going to the more negative meaning of the word.

I just gave it a try. I used my 1Z into my LAu into my Utopia on my Axios . I’m not finding your issue. (Again used as “put forth”). In fact I’m getting a very nice presentation of a great Beatles song. I have a very exacting impression of Elex and it’s campaign but will only say because of Sponsor restrictions that I disagree with much of what I have read.

Cheers! :)

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #5,560 of 5,632
Hi. Still getting used to it. The short story is, I LOVE it. Before I received the Utopia I felt the DAVE had a lot more to give. Now I don't feel the DAVE is being held back by my headphones, or vice-versa.

Hi x RELIC x ,

Thank you for having shared a number of time how great the combination Dave --> Utopia is.

It was difficult to believe and imagine for me, as the Utopia already sounded already so great for me with my RME ADI 2 Pro (whose SQ in NOS I have found to be in general equivalent to that of a Hugo 2 and of my SP1000Cu).
However yesterday I was able to listen to the combination Dave --> Utopia, and it does improve so much, I wouldn't have believed it without hearing it... What I found the most impressive may have been the improvements in imaging, such an incredibly realistic precision... Testing a few tracks was enough for me to know that I need to save money again (had unfortunately to expend a lot recently), convince my wife and buy a Dave...

Thank you again x RELIC x,
bidn

Jan 21, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #5,561 of 5,632
Hi x RELIC x ,

Thank you for having shared a number of time how great the combination Dave --> Utopia is.

It was difficult to believe and imagine for me, as the Utopia already sounded already so great for me with my RME ADI 2 Pro (whose SQ in NOS I have found to be in general equivalent to that of a Hugo 2 and of my SP1000Cu).
However yesterday I was able to listen to the combination Dave --> Utopia, and it does improve so much, I wouldn't have believed it without hearing it... What I found the most impressive may have been the improvements in imaging, such an incredibly realistic precision... Testing a few tracks was enough for me to know that I need to save money again (had unfortunately to expend a lot recently), convince my wife and buy a Dave...

bidn

Hey, no problem. :)

My next thoughts are for the Blu mk2 for the M scaler!!

Jan 29, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #5,562 of 5,632
Hi x RELIC x ,

bidn

Thank you for your impressions. I have no idea what a Dave retails for (10k+?), but the more I read about this combo, the more I salivate at the thought of getting one. I wish there was a Dave level DAC in a simpler form factor for, let’s say, 5k ... maybe the Hugo TT 2 will be the ticket although I know it won’t reach the heights of the Dave.

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:28 AM Post #5,564 of 5,632
Are the Elex pads available to buy as an accessory?
The only Focal pads available for purchase by the end user at the moment are the Utopia and Elear pads.

Feb 2, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #5,565 of 5,632

I don’t find the Utopia closed sounding at all, the headstage (headphones do not have soundstage at all), it is actually more natural sounding than a HD 800 for example.

Headphones generally sound way too wide. I shouldn’t be hearing some hitting a cymbal -90 degrees next to my ears. If you got a live jazz performance, you also do not hear that. A real soundstage is much narrower than the headstage headphones present.

I wsn’t really impressed by the “soundstage” of the Susvara. It just an other headphone in tterms of “soundstage” to me.

Hifiman really tends to make their “soundstage” really ultra wide. Their $50.000 electrostatic headphone has a “soundstage” so wide, that it sounds exclusively left or right almost with very little in the centre.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back