Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
Nov 21, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #5,536 of 5,632
My name was mentioned couple of times here so I figure I will confirm that I like the SR009 better than the Utopia. As great as the Utopia is, I still think that the SR009 can reach the higher height. Of course, you do need to have a really good amp behind it. @Whitigir's amazing DIY T2 is the perfect amp for any Stats headphones and it is very much superior to even the KGSSHV Carbon and BHSE in all counts. Don't get me wrong, I love the Utopia as well but Stax can have much better depth and width and that's the Utopia's biggest cons. Of course, the Utopia can sound superb with much less amplification and Stax setup is stationary while the Utopia is much more mobile.

Good sir you have so many Legendary cans. How does 009 / Utopia stack up to your Sony Kings. Such information is very hard to get as very few people actually have such a combo, and more. This would be interesting for me and many others. Can life go on for people who cannot get Sony Kings? :)

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #5,537 of 5,632
Hi All, New Utopia owner here. I have spent the last 5 years solely with iems and this is my first foray with headphones. Using the WA8 to power and they sound great. They are getting a little burn in time at the moment. Is there anyone who has experience with the WA8 and Utopia and also the Hugo 2 and Utopia and could comment on whether the WA8 or the H2 makes the Utopia shine more? maybe H2 (DAC) to WA8 (tube amp) to Utopia is the way to go?

I am looking to get a Lazuli Reference for these babies ASAP.

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #5,538 of 5,632
Hi All, New Utopia owner here. I have spent the last 5 years solely with iems and this is my first foray with headphones. Using the WA8 to power and they sound great. They are getting a little burn in time at the moment. Is there anyone who has experience with the WA8 and Utopia and also the Hugo 2 and Utopia and could comment on whether the WA8 or the H2 makes the Utopia shine more? maybe H2 (DAC) to WA8 (tube amp) to Utopia is the way to go?

The Lazuli Reference is simply awesome and really let's you hear how much the stock cable is holding these headphones back. The imaging improvements are immediately apparent! I'd go with the H2 and then save up for a DAVE. H2 is brilliant as both the DAC and amp, but the WA8 could allow you to change things up too. Congrats!

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #5,539 of 5,632
The Lazuli Reference is simply awesome and really let's you hear how much the stock cable is holding these headphones back. The imaging improvements are immediately apparent! I'd go with the H2 and then save up for a DAVE. H2 is brilliant as both the DAC and amp, but the WA8 could allow you to change things up too. Congrats!

Thanks for the insights. Dave would be lovely, but divorce would be imminent. lol

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #5,540 of 5,632

It depends on your tastes if you want to add the WA8 to the chain. The WA8 is about 1/3 the output power but that isn’t an issue with the Utopia. I find the Hugo2 Utopia pairing to be perfect for my tastes and I imagine the WA8 will add a hefty dose of warmth if that’s your preference, but you’ll lose some nuance compared to just the Hugo2 alone.

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #5,541 of 5,632
Thanks for the insights. Dave would be lovely, but divorce would be imminent. lol

Lol, understood! I had to sell off quite a bit of gear to help pay for mine. I'm with x RELIC x on the H2 FWIW!

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #5,542 of 5,632
Lol, understood! I had to sell off quite a bit of gear to help pay for mine. I'm with x RELIC x on the H2 FWIW!

Yes, the DAVE is fantasy land for me, but a Hugo 2 is mighty tempting ...

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #5,543 of 5,632
Yes, the DAVE is fantasy land for me, but a Hugo 2 is mighty tempting ...

The H2 is the real deal! Listening to mine now with my Z1R + Kimber Axios cable and I'm floored!

Dec 23, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #5,545 of 5,632
I've heard from a few folks that Hugo 2 make the Utopia sound too sparkly. Are you using the warm filter on it by any chance? Or is the sparkly bit talk just crazy stuff?

Don’t expect the filters on the Hugo2 to change the frequency response like a bass boost or anything. They adjust the timing and therefore the perception may be of a slower (warmer/smoother) sound or a more incisive (more accurate/brighter) sound. I had a very very hard time picking out differences between filters until I started listening for timing changes. To me the filters sound almost like using a more subtle version of the ‘wide’ button on older stereos.

To make a long story short, don’t expect the filters on the Hugo2 to change the frequency response, and the change they do make is very very subtle to my ears. I love the Utopia with the Hugo2 and wouldn’t want to change anything, but others may feel they need a warm source for their preferences, or they just prefer warmer headphones. Also, if listening to the Utopia too loudly or with poorly mastered music the sound can easily become fatiguing.

Dec 23, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #5,546 of 5,632
I've heard from a few folks that Hugo 2 make the Utopia sound too sparkly. Are you using the warm filter on it by any chance? Or is the sparkly bit talk just crazy stuff?

With the stock cables, it can be a bit sparkly with the Hugo 2 imo. Ofcourse this is recording dependent.

Dec 23, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #5,547 of 5,632
Don’t expect the filters on the Hugo2 to change the frequency response like a bass boost or anything. They adjust the timing and therefore the perception may be of a slower (warmer/smoother) sound or a more incisive (more accurate/brighter) sound. I had a very very hard time picking out differences between filters until I started listening for timing changes. To me the filters sound almost like using a more subtle version of the ‘wide’ button on older stereos.

To make a long story short, don’t expect the filters on the Hugo2 to change the frequency response, and the change they do make is very very subtle to my ears. I love the Utopia with the Hugo2 and wouldn’t want to change anything, but others may feel they need a warm source for their preferences, or they just prefer warmer headphones. Also, if listening to the Utopia too loudly or with poorly mastered music the sound can easily become fatiguing.

Thanks for the detailed response. This makes definite sense to me and help keep my expectations grounded :). I myself prefer warmish (like the Sony sound) and will check out their headphone amp as well. I unfortunately do have a few poorly mastered recordings I really care for, so I'll keep your advice in mind.

Dec 24, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #5,549 of 5,632
I unfortunately do have a few poorly mastered recordings I really care for....

I think we all have at least a few favourites that are poorly mastered but just can’t stop listening to. :)

Dec 27, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #5,550 of 5,632
The focal headphones have become a discounted product in recent times. Elear and utopia

If buyers wanted a “massdrop” price in the usa (and australia) in recent times they could buy the elear for $700, or like myself $550 for factory refurbs with 2 yr warranty. That was good enough for me

If i was an elear stockist i probably wouldnt be too happy with the massdrop release of the elex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back