Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
May 30, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #5,236 of 5,632
You are speculating by me, and if you have some problems with this situation,
I request you that you call focal

you dare to request me to follow orders from you: in this case, my answer to you is that from my side I am requesting that you stop trolling this fine thread.

May 30, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #5,237 of 5,632
you dare to request me to follow orders from you: in this case, my answer to you is that from my side I am requesting that you stop trolling this fine thread.
Could you explain me why I´m trolling this thread? Is not related with us and at same level of importance how a brand give support in case of problems?... Do you think that from my experience all of us could have clear which kind of people are behind the brand?

Probably I´m posting so recently, and mainly about this disgusting situation.... but to me at least, in my experience in forums, I think that the forum are a bunch of people/friends who can help each other with info, advise, help ... and between all help us, either with need of info or response to some doubt, either with problems that a members has.

Rest assured if were you the guy who post the problem that I have.... instead of trying to sink my reputation and doubt about my exmplanation.. could be better try to hlep me, or contribute with opinions, helps, suggestion.... Today could be for me... but tomorrow could be for you... Why can´t help us ?

I never request orders to you... sorry for the misunderstood..... Let´s work together?

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #5,238 of 5,632
I have bought my Utopia in november, used them almost daily since then , never had a problem even when listening to a very high volume trace/EDM music.

Just out of curiosity I have tested a 10Hz-100Hz sweep at very high volume. Apart from the fact that under 20Hz it is almost impossible to hear anything just with the ears (those very low freqs are heard mainly through the body), no peak/artifact/weird sound or clip/distorsion/compression until very (VERY) high volume.

When I tested a friend's Utopia, again I found no distorsion or compression when listening at very high volume to EDM. Also, I have a number of friends with the Utopia, no one is reporting this "weird" bass behaviour.

Of course not a statistics, but since this is the very first time I heard of this problem, I tend to think it's not an Utopia's issue.

May 30, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #5,239 of 5,632
I have bought my Utopia in november, used them almost daily since then , never had a problem even when listening to a very high volume trace/EDM music.

Just out of curiosity I have tested a 10Hz-100Hz sweep at very high volume. Apart from the fact that under 20Hz it is almost impossible to hear anything just with the ears (those very low freqs are heard mainly through the body), no peak/artifact/weird sound or clip/distorsion/compression until very (VERY) high volume.

When I tested a friend's Utopia, again I found no distorsion or compression when listening at very high volume to EDM. Also, I have a number of friends with the Utopia, no one is reporting this "weird" bass behaviour.

Of course not a statistics, but since this is the very first time I heard of this problem, I tend to think it's not an Utopia's issue.
Can I ask you where are you from?
Do you think is possible that It´s a defective batch, not the entire production, because in that case I will never try to reach one which works well
And if you allow me, another question, have you contact with customer service from Focal? Was nice attending you?

I only trying to put on the table a real problem that it´s happen to me, and also show how the real customer support from focal works (still no response)
Of course there are utopias which works fine, but only read the extract that I put yesterday of a person so reputable in this forum, a cable maker to more data (but still without his permission I´m not going to tell the name) where he told me what you read, and after, told me about It was a little disaster the utopia showrom.

Notice I think that this are a great, or probably the best dynamics cans, and is for that I´m triying to buy one. I also have a friend with a pair from 6-8 months and works so fine.
But I´m related my personal experiencie with probably a bad batch (I can publish the serial numbers, but I think that It is make bad the things because doesn´t help anything

If your read my experience, and you want to give me ideas, support my intention to obtain response or a simple word from focal, or help me in any way with your opinion, this will be wellcome. If you opt to report me, insult me, or deny all, and accuse me of disturb a happy thread of this forum (notice it has 350 pages... How more details need to speak about of the Hp)... I think my experience enriches the topic, and also put the cards on the table of which kind of company they are, and what are you going to find if you have any trouble.... I´m related mine in first person.
By the way, this morning 2 more tries writitng to customer support on their web, and no response or contact...
Tell me how do you feel in my situatiation, and what you would do on this? get the money and forget to enjoy a Hp because the want to? or fight against all, show the kind of company they are, and finally, via talk, via court, obtain my pair of non defective Hp.... You are free to aswer me or ask me what you want, if you believe me.

Summary for Ned Flanders of the forum: I was writing to phaeton70 forum mate. Focal Still no response. 18 contacts, in 1 and a half months and nothing. This is Focal. Good Sound, Very bad customer service (If they really had one and and cares about customers... so far.. NO)

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #5,240 of 5,632
I'm in Italy, and yes could very well be a problem in a specific batch (maybe during transportation).

I have never contacted Focal support since I have never had a problem with my Utopia, so I cannot say anything here.

May 30, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #5,241 of 5,632
By the way, this morning 2 more tries writitng to customer support on their web, and no response or contact...
Tell me how do you feel in my situatiation, and what you would do on this? get the money and forget to enjoy a Hp because the want to? or fight against all, show the kind of company they are, and finally, via talk, via court, obtain my pair of non defective Hp.... You are free to aswer me or ask me what you want, if you believe me.

You also seem to be having trouble getting in touch with Forza AudioWorks via E-mail, even though Matez is in touch with you on here, so perhaps your mail service has issues.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/forza-audioworks-impressions-thread.661441/page-107#post-13517868
I'm not being facetious, this could be a genuine issue.

Also I have to say that my pair is impeccable - I bought them in February from a French distributor.
I hope you sort out your problems on all fronts.

May 30, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #5,242 of 5,632
You also seem to be having trouble getting in touch with Forza AudioWorks via E-mail, even though Matez is in touch with you on here, so perhaps your mail service has issues.
https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/forza-audioworks-impressions-thread.661441/page-107#post-13517868
I'm not being facetious, this could be a genuine issue.

Also I have to say that my pair is impeccable - I bought them in February from a French distributor.
I hope you sort out your problems on all fronts.
Yes, matt has issues with is main mail adress. Now he has solve it
Very grateful for your words... It makes me cotinuing pushing harder.
Another day, And Focal has not contact or anything. My distributor has the third unit and verifing the problem to report to focal... Me very frustrating with all of this.
I hope at least it will help in future to all focal owners if they had a problem, and I found the path to solve it direcly with them, because write in their page is not the way. I´ll continiu reporting news

May 30, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #5,243 of 5,632
Yes, matt has issues with is main mail adress. Now he has solve it
Very grateful for your words... It makes me cotinuing pushing harder.
Another day, And Focal has not contact or anything. My distributor has the third unit and verifing the problem to report to focal... Me very frustrating with all of this.
I hope at least it will help in future to all focal owners if they had a problem, and I found the path to solve it direcly with them, because write in their page is not the way. I´ll continiu reporting news
What exactly is wrong with yours ie Utopia's....I'm kinda lost in the whole conversation!

May 30, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #5,244 of 5,632
What exactly is wrong with yours ie Utopia's....I'm kinda lost in the whole conversation!
I buy and need to retuned 3 times. the first has a defect in 40-45hz which made a big distorision, the second has problem in 27hz and 45hz (all the measured was obtained by the engineer of the distributor, and specifical machines), and when I recieved the third pair of headphones (all from distributor, Focal company has done NOTHING in it), is also bad manufacturing, with also distorsions (this afternoon the distributor was going to make all the test).... and me, 2 months after paying the utopias, and no utopias in my hands, and FOCAL no customer support, no contact, no interest...
I have tried 20 (literally, yesterday I put a snapshot of my inbox, of Focal contact form mail after.... an No response... Focal treat me like garbage.
This is a summarize of all situation.... do you understand anything? me neither....

May 30, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #5,245 of 5,632
I buy and need to retuned 3 times. the first has a defect in 40-45hz which made a big distorision, the second has problem in 27hz and 45hz (all the measured was obtained by the engineer of the distributor, and specifical machines), and when I recieved the third pair of headphones (all from distributor, Focal company has done NOTHING in it), is also bad manufacturing, with also distorsions (this afternoon the distributor was going to make all the test).... and me, 2 months after paying the utopias, and no utopias in my hands, and FOCAL no customer support, no contact, no interest...
I have tried 20 (literally, yesterday I put a snapshot of my inbox, of Focal contact form mail after.... an No response... Focal treat me like garbage.
This is a summarize of all situation.... do you understand anything? me neither....

Are you saying the Utopias are bad on arrival? If so, I'm a little confused. You state that your distributor has equipment that they are using to validate the problem - it seems unlikely that they would send you a 3rd Utopia without checking it for issues first given you sent back two units with the same problem. Not saying it didn't happen, but it sounds odd.

It would be helpful if you could post the measurements your distributor is generating that show the problem. If you could do that, I suspect you would get a lot more attention from Focal.

May 30, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #5,247 of 5,632
I feel your pain....i experienced same through my 3 copies so i can absolutely relate to your assertions.
Even after the 3rd copy i cant put hand to heart and assert unequivocally that it's a perfect copy.
Consequently, i only use them sparingly if that...
The Utopia's in my opinion has an extremely bad QC record...DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR ABOUT RELIABILITY...hope your distributor gets to finally resolve your problem.
Cheers.

May 30, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #5,249 of 5,632
Why does people who have been reporting problems that can de-fame Focal are all new posters ? Do we need mods clean up ?
I'd really be interested to hear from Craig ( music to my ears) and Jason ( source av) if they have seen similar issues among the utopias that they have sold. Given the high quality build of the utopias, I'm struggling to understand how two people now could have multiple damaged units. They could be part of a damaged batch in which case it's terrible luck for some but it's curious nonetheless. I have been recommending these HP's to all my close friends that are into this hobby and would like to know for sure if there is a quality issue.

May 30, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #5,250 of 5,632
Why does people who have been reporting problems that can de-fame Focal are all new posters ? Do we need mods clean up ?
I'd really be interested to hear from Craig ( music to my ears) and Jason ( source av) if they have seen similar issues among the utopias that they have sold. Given the high quality build of the utopias, I'm struggling to understand how two people now could have multiple damaged units. They could be part of a damaged batch in which case it's terrible luck for some but it's curious nonetheless. I have been recommending these HP's to all my close friends that are into this hobby and would like to know for sure if there is a quality issue.
Hear hear. I'll be frank and personally I'm skeptical. We should hear all sides of the story before jumping to conclusions or taking sides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back