Focal Elear and Utopia Review / Preview With Measurements - Head-Fi TV
May 27, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #5,221 of 5,632
In the while, I am slamming away with my Wm1z Balanced out to Utopia :). Such a superb headphones, really, out of these 2 pieces, it can satisfy so many hardcore audiophiles, portable with more than 12 hours in the bunch..... It is the reason why Utopia is held in such regard in my opinion. The best dynamic headphones yet.

Don't mind the long cables :D, I keep stock cables as it is the best of copper materials.....and now is in shortage of making more expensive cables lol

I have a plan to get a gold chain necklace with Wm1z as a pendant and wear the Utopia in early morning jogging....joking!

How do you use the Focal Utopia as a portable with that cable? It's heavy and super long. :beyersmile:

May 27, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #5,222 of 5,632
I think Focal is trying to take care of his problems, otherwise, how else could one have 3 replacements within how long ? We are talking about a lot of losses here toward Focal sides, like shipping back and forth and then restocking fees....etc...

The problems they may have is the same as what I am trying to understand. I do not know why or how could one determine so solidly that their headphones is a defect due to some weirdness of 10-60 HZ ? Hell below 20Hz is sub-harmonic and only whale or dolphin can hear it.....

I think it would be better if there are some proof of machinery that did the testing, a picture, some sweeps, or measurements to show it to Focal then they will know what is going on, otherwise, it seems moving on and away from Utopia maybe a better choice.

I do feel sorry for him though, but I still do not understand his situation:frowning2:

All the worry and support (limited) is making by the distributor here in spain. Are who certified problems, and whom the replace the unit from this stock... the situation is so weird that the engineer that distributor has, test the 2 first unit with some special machines, and a oscilloscope, and the reaffirm the problems... they sent to France to Focal HQ, who after 2 weeks, respond that "there is no problem on any of the two hp, but probably a positioning incidence".. they refuse the problem, but, instead of returning the Hp, the refund the distributor the money (a dirty way of recognize the problem)... appart of this, no ask about customer, not trying to contact, to help, to provide a new brand unit (which the third one become from distributor,not from Focal)... I personally wrote to focal 2 times, requesting to talk with someone of Customer service, more than 3 weeks until now.... they have respond me or call me or try to interest or help in the problem? no... nothing... you spend 4000€ in a "premium product" have 3 incidences (I think of a defective batch) and nobody contact you, or try to help you, despite you have bought 2 month ago, and still no solution.... EVEN THEY ARE NO ASKING ANYTHING to my distributor.... Is this a serious company? do you feel well in that situation or treated like a premium user? Still do you think that this behavior is merely need to be related on one company who aspire to not only make good product, but loyal people??

I´m continue reporting the case, but Focal don´t behave well, not even as a company as they try to be....

May 27, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #5,224 of 5,632
Did you get your money back since Focal refunded your distributor? If so, take the money and buy something else? It's quite clear Focal isn't interested in sending you an other headphone.

Apple did the same to me as I had to send back 7 Macbook Pro's because all had some defect (Apple had serious display problems back in 2013 with the new Retina screens).

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #5,225 of 5,632
Did you get your money back since Focal refunded your distributor? If so, take the money and buy something else? It's quite clear Focal isn't interested in sending you an other headphone.

Apple did the same to me as I had to send back 7 Macbook Pro's because all had some defect (Apple had serious display problems back in 2013 with the new Retina screens).

It is understandable when they no longer want to deal with a single individual anymore since they had replaced several devices and they all ended up in the return department. They do have the rights to do so though :). To be fair, Focal replaced 3 units, then they already took care of you well enough. It is just that they found it hard to believe or don't understand why they always have returned merchandise from a single person ? Who knows

May 27, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #5,226 of 5,632
For iccp's problems I can understand a high level of frustration especially if there is an issue and it's not taken seriously. I would walk away from Focal and try something else as there are other high end options that are good. I went through a frequency sweet on youtube. I don't notice any issues with mine. I either have a good unit, or I'm deaf, or I'm too stupid to notice a problem. I've had friends with incredibly sensitive hearing where test equip proved them right even though everyone and the world called them crazy.

May 27, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #5,227 of 5,632
It certainly does happen that some people can hear and tell the differences better than others :). It will need a very special someone and it does happen. Just like people who can smell and tell on fragrance....there are only a hand full people in the entire world

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #5,228 of 5,632

The problem is although I get my money (never was a problem with my shop or distrubutor), but If I get the money, wherer I purchase again? anywhere here in Spain wherer I purchase, the units come from the unique distributor to all the country, then, we are on the same problem.... but here the problem is not with the distributor or the shop, is Focal that don´t care about this problem.

I also view the problem as you, Focal is not interested in send me a Hp unit that works, or make somthing to solve this... even customer support doesn´t exists or care about, because the problem is here, for more than 2 months, and nobody In Focal is interested in resolve it. My shop and distributor has limited actions to do, and of course, depends direcly from focal.

Simply analice how do you want to be treated if you spend 4000€ in a Headphone, by the brand who manufacturing, and compare How is making (or OMITTING) doing something.... Is this the way that a great brand needs to act? As a customer do you feel more cover by a company acting like this, or by (for example) a seller on ebay who sel you an item of 20€ and if you have any problems, He works to resolve, track the package, write to correct use, send you a second units to resolve the problem.... is so focus on a purchase of 20 €, to only doing things well and be voted as 5 star... Here the 5 star was supposed as a product and service by the brand, on the top of the possible.... Here you clearly see how the brands behave...
I was in love with focal... But... this....Focal acts the worst way possible.... omitting all, but getting the money, of course.... Customer service? Ha!!

May 28, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #5,229 of 5,632
It is understandable when they no longer want to deal with a single individual anymore since they had replaced several devices and they all ended up in the return department. They do have the rights to do so though :). To be fair, Focal replaced 3 units, then they already took care of you well enough. It is just that they found it hard to believe or don't understand why they always have returned merchandise from a single person ? Who knows
Please, don´t be confuse. Focal DON´T REPLACE ME 3 UNITS.. was the distributor.... Even the 2 first units, when was sent to Focal, not only focal having kwon the problem contact with the final customer who has paid several days before and spent time burning in, but also Focal REFUSE that the unit was defective.... The refusal was a negation os what I see and heard, what the shop people see and heard, and what my distributor (who has machine to measure the problem, and indeed he done, not only by his ears, but on special machices, and certify their engineer that this unis has a problems.... Thinks that distributor don´t replace the headphone if they don´t verify and certify the fail.... Well despite all the people an all the process done, Focal was inspected the untis for 2 weeks to conclude that there is no a problem as is, there is a problem on positioning or something that I don´t be so clear informed.... But notice the 2 main point. If the Headphone doesn´t have any problem, the mandatory process was to return to te distributor, as unit with no problem? Did they do that? NO.... the don´t return the units... the paid the distributor the units and Focal kept up... then is CLEARLY a cover way of accept the problem... (declare by distributor, shop.... when this behavior happened...)...

And the second point, more worrying... If Focal on that moment (was so early of that, because they known all the problems, and request the units) If the KNOWING ALL ...Explain my... Why the customer support don´t do anything? Why I was not contact by them, and get help and support, of a product of this profile, and they propose me a solution and even a detail of been suffering is lack quality control, and lack of verified product before put on the market (and more even, on this level).... Customer support never appears, never do anything... and Focal only refund the Headphone to the distributor, but no word about my, or worried about the consumer satisfaction or which need to be the solution based on all the problems (by their side) that gets a an angry customer NOT ATTENDED BY ANYONE ON FOCAL....

Explain me logical reasons that argue Focal as a great Brand that worry about their customer........ explain me (an also, dont´t get confuse what the law say about a defective product and the right of get a new brand replacement (all the time doing by distributor), with a deference or well behavior of Focal)

May 28, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #5,230 of 5,632
For iccp's problems I can understand a high level of frustration especially if there is an issue and it's not taken seriously. I would walk away from Focal and try something else as there are other high end options that are good. I went through a frequency sweet on youtube. I don't notice any issues with mine. I either have a good unit, or I'm deaf, or I'm too stupid to notice a problem. I've had friends with incredibly sensitive hearing where test equip proved them right even though everyone and the world called them crazy.
You have a lot of reason, but, on one hand, I have spent also almost 2000€ on focals cables (not receiving yet, but not cancelling at this point)... and from the other hand.... as customer... who manage the real power on the markets, the brands or the customers?.. Is real that Focal is treat me like crap, but I want a Utopia, and I´m going still to push (harder if you help me, or put in knowledge of your local shop or distributor) to as a focal customer, be consider as good as or money value.... If some people of this forum reject to by some focal product, or before doing it, ask so many times to their shop in case of problem, the will get as my, in the "4000€ spender land" where there is nobody of Focal trying to help.. and this part on their web of "customer support" where you write something, directly is printed on toilet paper and put near the toilet row to "clean with your appreciation"....

That is how "Focal´s customer support" works...
If all the people push a little, probably nobody in the future have the insecurity (that now, take note that is real.. look at me) if whe spend 4000€ in a Hp, we will be treated as premium user, not as garbage, that is the way I feel....

Of course, ever I can sell another brands, In fact I have other similar price headphones, from a companies that their customer are important... but you know what? I Have spent 4000€ on Utopia, and I want to have my Utopias well working, and a customer support that until they appears, I won´t stop,.. and probably after me, Focal take it all serious...

If they want me to put in court with my lawyers... I´m in disposition... I know the spanish law... and despite here in spain there is a tradition of bullfighting (to me, mistreat animals, and so ugly), but if focal want to take a blanket and try to bullfight someone,... better they call people of their focal owners families... not ours...

May 29, 2017 at 6:50 AM Post #5,232 of 5,632
Hi FOCAL
Come on focal;get in touch with this guy and sort this problem out,how hard can it be.

I don't believe this story from this new poster iccp.
We should be cautious not to believe everything.

First three times in a row exactly the same defect in a sample of three is statistically not credible.

Second, Focal sold several thousands of Utopia. nobody (and count me, mine go to 20Hz without problems ) had any such issue, and the numbers of head-fiers having bought a pair is quite big, enough to be statistically relevant. If all headphones of of a sample of 3 truly had all these very same defect, then most (I would at least 75% ) of us would have the same defect pn our pairs of Utopia. This is not the case however, so this story can't be true.

Third, look at the number of posts and the seniority of this poster on head fi: as such nothing wrong, but combined with the above it corroborates a "fake news ", using a trendy wording...

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #5,233 of 5,632

First three times in a row exactly the same defect in a row is statistically not credible.

Second, Focal sold several thousands of Utopia. nobody (and count me, mine go to 20Hz without problems ) had any such issue, and the numbers of head-fiers having bought a pair is quite big, enough to be statistically relevant. If all headphones of of a sample of 3 truly had all these very same defect, then most (I would at least 75% ) of us would have the same defect pn our pairs of Utopia. This is not the case however, so this story can't be true.

Third, look at the number of posts and the seniority of this poster on head fi: as such nothing wrong, but combined with the above it corroborates a "fake news ", using a trendy wording...

Well, my saying is that it is the people mouths and fingers, they say and type what they want. It is your eyes and ears, you read and hear what you want :)

May 29, 2017 at 7:18 AM Post #5,234 of 5,632
Well, my saying is that it is the people mouths and fingers, they say and type what they want. It is your eyes and ears, you read and hear what you want :)

Yes, fully agreed.

And actually, it is statistically even more incredible,
that the story is not of all 3 pairs having a defect , which is already completely unbelievable,
but all the very same defect..., and quite something, no bass....

May 29, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #5,235 of 5,632

First three times in a row exactly the same defect in a sample of three is statistically not credible.

Which prove do you need to belive?
the 3 serial numbers are in 3xxx... the last only separated by 200 numbres. The first and the second separated by 5 units
You are speculating by me, and if you have some problems with this situation, I request you that you call focal, or tell me how contact them....

for a moment I was tempting to scan or picture the 3 delivery notes of the same company who has got the package and send it to the distributor, but has personal info about me. The distributor here in spain is Neotecnica S.A, and you can call him freely an ask them about it http://www.neotecnica.es/ +34 91 542 09 00, ask to Gonzalo from SAT (I can post this info, because is public in their web)

Anyway, I´m not going to feed anyone who not belive (he is in his rights), or any troll...
I asure you that I´m not as boring to post all this story If I had a job (more exactly companies, not so big, but more than one) that allows me to spend time to write here an also spend 2000€ on cables, or have a collection not so big but with more than 10 Hp, the mayority over 1-2K €... This is real, and unhappily it´s happen to me. Where is the funny point??? To me is incredible....

Tell me, maybe you have the power to guess WHY FOCAL STILL NOT EVEN CALL ME OR MAIL ME SO FAR???... Explain us Why... explain us, because you are the Smarter one to know why the haven´t done anything....
I don´t understand a person who was so crazy to post a story like this... to me is simple, 1 call, 1 solution, 1 pair working well, an that´s all... If I´m posting it´s because the reality is so so far from this...

PS: When you call to Neotecnica S.A., the only autorized dealer from Focal to all the Spanish country, tell him that the shipping company has get the box an tomorrow he wlll have there to test them and report (for thir time) to Focal france

Yes, fully agreed.

And actually, it is statistically even more incredible,
that the story is not of all 3 pairs having a defect , which is already completely unbelievable,
but all the very same defect..., and quite something, no bass....
several post up, you have a member telling you that he need to return 7 times his macbook..... belive what you want... I´m not here to convince you if you don´t think it´s true... but thnik only about the argument that you are refusing... if It is not true, I will invented different problems and more elaborated excuses... but as I said to your mate... you are free to belive.. if you don´t, call to the dealer, I have post their info because is public and I don´t violate any rules of the forums... but to me, the effort will be more focus to the people see ha focal acts... I have a pair of utopias paying 3 months ago, and still haven used it because this problem...

I can accept Criticism if you have a problem, and quickly focal france calls you to solve.... In other case, you are only speculating with the sad reality of ME RIGHT NOW

Hi FOCAL
Come on focal;get in touch with this guy and sort this problem out,how hard can it be.
Anyway... you Have the more reason that all..... what is the cost to give support to a customer, and why the don´t do it.... He have in on their paige

For those who still don´t belive, see the inbox (filtered by focal, and omiting personal info)... about it is real... notice the first contact with this account (my personal account, in the work account have with more time)....

Do you have your mail like this? How do you think that express a thing like this (all are mail after write in their page, in their sections... you can read it)... If you have your inbox like this, you have the same problem of no support, and probably your are making all that you could to get it...

No the other mates, could regret of their words, or still believing what they want... my problem is with Focal, and their nonsense way of no give support to me (and don´t be a fool, because is the main reason than concern to all of us.... if your marvelous unit begin to sound weird and you have a problem, you will be here on the same path as me.... help me, with this, for the remote case that you also have problems in future, don´t see as me... with no support, and even in your case (a different from mine) is I´m returning because are brand new.. but you will be in hand of their "after sale professionals" (you could see that I also wrote to them....

So please, give me your hand for all of us, not only by me if you dont´t want to help only a mate...

Which prove do you need to belive?
the 3 serial numbers are in 3xxx... the last only separated by 200 numbres. The first and the second separated by 5 units
You are speculating by me, and if you have some problems with this situation, I request you that you call focal, or tell me how contact them....

for a moment I was tempting to scan or picture the 3 delivery notes of the same company who has got the package and send it to the distributor, but has personal info about me. The distributor here in spain is Neotecnica S.A, and you can call him freely an ask them about it http://www.neotecnica.es/ +34 91 542 09 00, ask to Gonzalo from SAT (I can post this info, because is public in their web)

Anyway, I´m not going to feed anyone who not belive (he is in his rights), or any troll...
I asure you that I´m not as boring to post all this story If I had a job (more exactly companies, not so big, but more than one) that allows me to spend time to write here an also spend 2000€ on cables, or have a collection not so big but with more than 10 Hp, the mayority over 1-2K €... This is real, and unhappily it´s happen to me. Where is the funny point??? To me is incredible....

Tell me, maybe you have the power to guess WHY FOCAL STILL NOT EVEN CALL ME OR MAIL ME SO FAR???... Explain us Why... explain us, because you are the Smarter one to know why the haven´t done anything....
I don´t understand a person who was so crazy to post a story like this... to me is simple, 1 call, 1 solution, 1 pair working well, an that´s all... If I´m posting it´s because the reality is so so far from this...

PS: When you call to Neotecnica S.A., the only autorized dealer from Focal to all the Spanish country, tell him that the shipping company has get the box an tomorrow he wlll have there to test them and report (for thir time) to Focal france

How can I post a image? https://ibb.co/kZo9qv
Ok, I don´t how to link directly. Here you have (for the non believers) the inbox of my personal accout, in my work account I have mails before 3rd of may....

Anyway, I still mantain that it is between a bad service (no customer support) and me (and even anyone of you if you will have problem in the future... I think all can pressure best)

Today, another day that Focal don´t contact me in any way, and no solving anything.... This is the company which will respond when we have a problem... a company that laugh about us taking our money and if we need support...don´t call them...

It´s proven than Utopias looks not have so good QC today (if you going to the first page of this tread, you find mates that on the lauch of the utopias, need to returned 1,2,3 times and the get new brand units with different cables length, or even color.

I´m going to put an extract of one mail that I have recieved (I can tell the person who send to me, but is somebody of the forum, with good reputation of his work, If he authorize me, I tell you who is), but the important, I copy paste 1 paragraph of the mail

"You are not the only one with problems with Utopias - even in Munich Audio Exhibition there was an issue with them. The L and R channels were not balanced in low frequencies and it was really annoying on some tracks. I don't know if it was the same issue with your cans. Maybe it is just quality control and difficulties manufacturing of such small beryllium drivers. Anyway it should not happen in cans for 4000Eur, although almost every single high end headphone maker had some issues in the past with QC of their flagship cans"

Is there anybody who has been also in munich and can corroborate this, to this people who don´t belive me (or maybe are only trolls)...

The facts are who rules... and today Focal not contact me, or my distributor, and not give solution, and is not interested in show any kind of help or care to their clients.... That it´s the pure reality

Only a think more. I have 2 pairs (or best express, 2 set of 2 speaker each, 4 in total) in two different location, of the same model of Focal SM9, which are one of the best monitors that money can buy. They have the dome in M shape berilium, but is thicker than in the headphones, because I saw 1 broken (very toxic to breath) and the profile was very tick... in comparison of the one that has to have the utopias to only weights 120 mg (135 mg in elear, making in aluminium)

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2017-05-29 a las 18.19.05.png
    Captura de pantalla 2017-05-29 a las 18.19.05.png
    382.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Captura de pantalla 2017-05-29 a las 18.19.05.png
    Captura de pantalla 2017-05-29 a las 18.19.05.png
    382.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back