Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Sep 27, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #2,044 of 2,126
How big is the clipping problem with Focal? I always use EQ with my headphones and I wonder if using a normal base-shelf with these at normal listening volumes will work? that's the only thing stopping me from ordering them at the moment.

Sep 27, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #2,045 of 2,126
How big is the clipping problem with Focal? I always use EQ with my headphones and I wonder if using a normal base-shelf with these at normal listening volumes will work? that's the only thing stopping me from ordering them at the moment.
Never experienced it with stock tuning (no EQ) and very demanding classical music at unsafe listening volume.

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #2,047 of 2,126
I've not encountered any clipping with the MGs. Very unforgiving with poor sources and will draw your attention to any tracks that have distortion in the recording. Very well balanced headphones.

Sep 27, 2023 at 2:13 PM Post #2,048 of 2,126
No clippings for me either (at least not to the point of extremely high volumes).

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #2,049 of 2,126
I received my focal clear mg this morning
Only a hour or 2 listening so still early days
Initial impressions are encouraging
New Order never sounded so alive

Oct 20, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #2,053 of 2,126
The topic has been covered often on this thread. Clear Mg’s need a decent cable (the stock supplied Focal cable really is trash) and a better set of Pads (Eg. Dekoni) to liberate the incredible sound of these cans. Of course with the Clear you need a decent headphone amp which is already built into Bathys. I have both, and love the sound each delivers but the Clear Mg’s sound is far superior IMO.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #2,054 of 2,126
True I confirm, I have a new Canare copper cable and the sound of the MG has improved a lot.....and to say that many people believed that there is no difference in sound between one cable and another!!!

Oct 20, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #2,055 of 2,126
True I confirm, I have a new Canare copper cable and the sound of the MG has improved a lot.....and to say that many people believed that there is no difference in sound between one cable and another!!!
I'm afraid I'm one of those. Bought an Oidio Mongrel cable that will cover both the MG and my Denon AH-D9200, no difference at all. Sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back