Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Sep 7, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #2,026 of 2,149
How much less bass are we talking 🤔 I'm considering the Clear Mg Pro but I HATE the red pads. I previously owned the standard Clear Mg with a silver Norne cable. That provided a leaner more detailed presentation that worked for me. I can't find the Elex pads anywhere, so the Utopia pads might be my only option.
It's mostly less mid bass presence and impact, there's less of a hump there around 100-150 Hz compared to the stock pads, really only like 2 dB or so. The bass extension sounds similar to me. It's more linear in the bass overall. If you like that more detailed presentation, the Utopia pads do exactly that, and better than the Elex pads IMO.

Sep 12, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #2,029 of 2,149
My Clear MGs will be arriving on Thursday. Can’t wait as I’m coming from the OGs.

Sep 16, 2023 at 10:56 AM Post #2,031 of 2,149
You have 3 options, 2 of which are tubes... If you're unsure of which direction you wanna go, have you thought about a used Lyr3 (could be had for cheaper) or lastest Lyr+?

The Lyr+ would give you the best of both worlds. Solid state music... then when you fancy a bit of tube flavour, just pop in a 6SN7 or equivalent of.

For Lyr 3, I used to have Schiit Lisst tubes which are solid state tubes basically. Just pop a Lisst in th hybrid Lyr 3 for solid state, or use the forementioned 6SN7's.
Schiit Lisst

I've been using my MG P's with NJC reference DAC and amp. Loving the reference detail (but not analytical). However, just today I took delivery of a Tor Audio Nick amp, paired with the NJC DAC for a bit of tube flavour. Well, I say a bit... there's plenty of tube warmth - full, rich sound. It's early days yet, and I haven't read all the thread, but imo the MG's seem to play well with both tube flavour and SS. I would deffo recommend you consider the Lyr if you're a bit torn between tube and SS.

Which DAC(s) you using? Not that I'm that experienced by a long shot to convey an opinion based on that - I've only tried/had about 10 or so. Was just curious.
Unfortunately I sold my Bifrost and Lyr 3 before the MG's came into my posession. So I'm only guessing that that amp (Lyr) would be a good choice for you.

BTW if you do decide on Little Dot III, see screen snip in case you aren't aware. Also including my Tor amp, pretty chuffed with it!! Little Dot MkIII.jpg
PXL_20230906_173232566.jpg
Gain low is switches everything to on?

Sep 16, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #2,033 of 2,149
Loving my new pair of Clear MGs.

Sep 16, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #2,034 of 2,149
Loving my new pair of Clear MGs.
I see you have the Arya Organics as well. How do they compare to your new Clear MGs?

Sep 16, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #2,035 of 2,149
I see you have the Arya Organics as well. How do they compare to your new Clear MGs?
They're just very different, but I always reach for the Clear MG when I'm looking for some energy.

Sep 23, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #2,036 of 2,149
I'm looking for headphones that have good punch and slam for classic rock, and I'm wondering if these might be what I'm looking for? i own HD600 and HD800s at the moment which i love, but they are not perfect for classic rock so i need something else for that type of music.

Sep 24, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #2,037 of 2,149
I'm looking for headphones that have good punch and slam for classic rock, and I'm wondering if these might be what I'm looking for? i own HD600 and HD800s at the moment which i love, but they are not perfect for classic rock so i need something else for that type of music.
The Clear are probably the softest sounding of the Focal full size line. Go Utopia. :wink: Said that, the Clear are more punchy and slammy than HD600 and HD800, quite a bit more actually, makes you feel you went next level. So I guess the Clear would be a worth upgrade path in that sense.

Sep 24, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #2,038 of 2,149
The Clear are probably the softest sounding of the Focal full size line. Go Utopia. Said that, the Clear are more punchy and slammy than HD600 and HD800, quite a bit more actually, makes you feel you went next level. So I guess the Clear would be a worth upgrade path in that sense.
Btw, Elear are also great, even more punchy, but also darker than Clear og, if one can find a second hand pair.

Also, the Fostex TH line is something to consider. The TH-900 are my favourite punchy, V shaped, fun headphone.

Sep 24, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #2,039 of 2,149
The MGs are very good with acoustic music but I don't think they have the deep bass for classic rock. The Fostex TH900 has already been mentioned and I'll chip in with a recommendation for the Denon AH-D9200. Very punchy bass that goes deeper than my MGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back