Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Aug 30, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #2,011 of 2,145
Imo the Celestee is closer to a "closed back Clear" than the Radiance. The Radiance isn't like other Focals, tonally speaking - it has a fairly relaxed tuning, with withdrawn mids compared to other Focals. The Celestee has more of the more mid-forward and dynamic sound of the Clear (albeit a much more restricted soundstage which can be a dealbreaker for some).

Aug 30, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #2,012 of 2,145
I've not listened to the Radiance but am going by how some reviewers have called it. Was tempted but don't really want another Focal in my collection. Auditioning is the real problem as one dealer will have the Radiance but not the Meze Lirac or DCA Noire which are also on the radar. Difficult then to compare.
Had the Aeon 2 Closed for quite some time, replaced later with the Ether CX, for the CX has a fuller and less grainy treble to my ears.

From my experience with the Aeon 2 Closed and by the look of oratory1990 Noire measurements, the Aeon 2 Closed seems to reassemble the Denon D2000s', while the Noire the Fostex TH-610s' treble.

What DCA closed headphones will give you is, imo and to my ears, the most open while pleasantly V shaped sound of all closed headphones. Plus they are technically also leagues ahead in terms of THD while being tuned for engaging, fun, sound.

Only problem for me was that the Aeon earcup shape gave me seal issues that the CX does not, especially with glasses. But if one boosted bass with PEQ, not even that should be a problem.

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #2,014 of 2,145
Imo the Celestee is closer to a "closed back Clear" than the Radiance. The Radiance isn't like other Focals, tonally speaking - it has a fairly relaxed tuning, with withdrawn mids compared to other Focals. The Celestee has more of the more mid-forward and dynamic sound of the Clear (albeit a much more restricted soundstage which can be a dealbreaker for some).
A friend of mine just went to demo Clear and Radiance side by side (he's not an audiophile, a musician) and his words were "it didn't take long to realise Clear wiped the floor with Radiance...Bass was muddy on radiance, Clear sounded way better overall"
He plays bass so is super sensitive to that, maybe others won't notice.

I also had Clear and Celestee side by side and found Clear a lot better, but they were somewhat similar in overall signature. It's a shame the lower tier closed backs dont get as close to the Clear performance as Stellia does to Utopia. I tried Elegia/Celestee and just wasn't impressed tbh, not for the price anyway. Now Celestee is 750 it's a much more manageable option than the frankly silly 1k starting price it launched at.

A few reviewers have mentioned how close the Radiance and the Clears are. The difference will be in soundstage but I don't think it's massively different to the closed backs, my closed back Denons seem just as a wide a soundstage on some recordings. The Clears are certainly a big step forward from the Elex with a better timbre in the treble. I have no trouble with a couple of hours with the Clears. Treble isn't as balanced or refined as planars but are more dynamic.

I've been very tempted by the Radiance but I don't want another Focal because of the similar signature.

see above :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #2,017 of 2,145
For clear mg better asgard 3 little dot mk3 or valhalla 2?
You have 3 options, 2 of which are tubes... If you're unsure of which direction you wanna go, have you thought about a used Lyr3 (could be had for cheaper) or lastest Lyr+?

The Lyr+ would give you the best of both worlds. Solid state music... then when you fancy a bit of tube flavour, just pop in a 6SN7 or equivalent of.

For Lyr 3, I used to have Schiit Lisst tubes which are solid state tubes basically. Just pop a Lisst in th hybrid Lyr 3 for solid state, or use the forementioned 6SN7's.
Schiit Lisst

I've been using my MG P's with NJC reference DAC and amp. Loving the reference detail (but not analytical). However, just today I took delivery of a Tor Audio Nick amp, paired with the NJC DAC for a bit of tube flavour. Well, I say a bit... there's plenty of tube warmth - full, rich sound. It's early days yet, and I haven't read all the thread, but imo the MG's seem to play well with both tube flavour and SS. I would deffo recommend you consider the Lyr if you're a bit torn between tube and SS.

Which DAC(s) you using? Not that I'm that experienced by a long shot to convey an opinion based on that - I've only tried/had about 10 or so. Was just curious.
Unfortunately I sold my Bifrost and Lyr 3 before the MG's came into my posession. So I'm only guessing that that amp (Lyr) would be a good choice for you.

BTW if you do decide on Little Dot III, see screen snip in case you aren't aware. Also including my Tor amp, pretty chuffed with it!!
Little Dot MkIII.jpg

PXL_20230906_173232566.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #2,019 of 2,145
I have smsl do 300 dac and asgard 3 amp, i wanted to get valhalla 2 for hd650 and dt 1990 and i was wondering if clear went well with valhalla and little dot otl
Ahh, gotcha! Didn't realise the Asgard was already in the bag. But yeah, imo the MG's work well with some tube flavour too. Sorry I can't help on either of those 2 amps, never had them. Good luck. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in...

Little Dot III;
350mW @ 600-300 Ohm
300mW @ 120mW
100mW @ 32 Ohm

vs Valhalla;
Gain on Schiit Valhalla 2 is:

Gain: 7 (16.9db) or 1.5 (3.5 db), via rear switch

Max power figures are:
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 180mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 800mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 450mW RMS per channel

The latter is taken from, dare I say, reddit. Might be of help tho.

Obvs can't comment on audio qual between the 2. As a guess I'd say Schiit over LDIII, without mods. Modded? who knows lol

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2023 at 9:54 PM Post #2,020 of 2,145
Ahh, gotcha! Didn't realise the Asgard was already in the bag. But yeah, imo the MG's work well with some tube flavour too. Sorry I can't help on either of those 2 amps, never had them. Good luck. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in...

Little Dot III;
350mW @ 600-300 Ohm
300mW @ 120mW
100mW @ 32 Ohm

vs Valhalla;
Gain on Schiit Valhalla 2 is:

Gain: 7 (16.9db) or 1.5 (3.5 db), via rear switch

Max power figures are:
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 180mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 800mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 450mW RMS per channel

The latter is taken from, dare I say, reddit. Might be of help tho.

Obvs can't comment on audio qual between the 2. As a guess I'd say Schiit over LDIII, without mods. Modded? who knows lol
Thanks

Sep 6, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #2,021 of 2,145
What you're looking for sounds exactly like what I'm hearing from the Utopia pads on the MG. I know they are expensive, but those pads open up the soundstage, clarity, mids and treble, a lot for me. The bass is reduced too. Maybe also try out Elex pads, they raise up the mids as well.
How much less bass are we talking 🤔 I'm considering the Clear Mg Pro but I HATE the red pads. I previously owned the standard Clear Mg with a silver Norne cable. That provided a leaner more detailed presentation that worked for me. I can't find the Elex pads anywhere, so the Utopia pads might be my only option.

Sep 7, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #2,022 of 2,145
Wondering if anyone else had the same situation, it wasn't bumped or scratched, nor cleaned with any chemicals, it just happened naturally. I bought this just 6 months.

IMG_0873.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0872.jpg
    IMG_0872.jpg
    504.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 7, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #2,023 of 2,145
How much less bass are we talking 🤔 I'm considering the Clear Mg Pro but I HATE the red pads. I previously owned the standard Clear Mg with a silver Norne cable. That provided a leaner more detailed presentation that worked for me. I can't find the Elex pads anywhere, so the Utopia pads might be my only option.
This may be of interest to you: https://forum.headphones.com/t/focal-pad-rolling-experiments-measurements/2822. Last I heard, Headphones.com is expecting to have Elex and Utopia pads available in a few weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back