Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Feb 10, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #1,396 of 2,141
I received the Dekoni perforated earpads today and I really like the feel of leather on my ears. They are actually very comfortable, and I prefer the look and color to the brown OEM pads.
Sound-wise on the low and mid end they do sound very similar, and on the high end they do need a little boost. Using Resolves EQ profile for the for the Dekoni Perforated pads I was able to make them sound really nice to my ear.

Attachments

• 20220210_180557.jpg
    20220210_180557.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220210_180609.jpg
    20220210_180609.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 0
Feb 10, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #1,399 of 2,141
They look like crap compared to original Utopia pads. Dekoni have big QC issues.
They don't cost $250 either.
But this pair does look a bit rough, I have Denoni Stellia LTD, HE Perforated sheepskin and some for Fostex. Quality is pretty good if not excellent.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #1,403 of 2,141
In case anyone is curious about my review of my Sendy Audio Peacock's and how they compare to my Focal MGs, I posted it HERE.

Spoiler Alert - I like them a lot! They're not Utopia-level, but they beat the MGs out...

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #1,404 of 2,141
In case anyone is curious about my review of my Sendy Audio Peacock's and how they compare to my Focal MGs, I posted it HERE.

Spoiler Alert - I like them a lot! They're not Utopia-level, but they beat the MGs out...
Poor MG, seems like anything beats them up. LOL :beyersmile:

Feb 10, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #1,405 of 2,141
Poor MG, seems like anything beats them up. LOL :beyersmile:
It's not that they're bad sounding, it's just that there's something missing that others have. Head-to-head against my Sennheiser HD-8XX, they lose. Against these Peacock's, they lose. Obviously, they're not Utopias, either. It's hard to explain, but I think my original observation still holds - they have no soul. There's nothing special about them. They are clinical, for those who like clinical listening, I guess. Maybe it's the Woo, maybe it's my aging ears. They resolve well, they image well, they are just...meh.

Feb 11, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #1,406 of 2,141
It's not that they're bad sounding, it's just that there's something missing that others have. Head-to-head against my Sennheiser HD-8XX, they lose. Against these Peacock's, they lose. Obviously, they're not Utopias, either. It's hard to explain, but I think my original observation still holds - they have no soul. There's nothing special about them. They are clinical, for those who like clinical listening, I guess. Maybe it's the Woo, maybe it's my aging ears. They resolve well, they image well, they are just...meh.
I have a different view. Having come from ZMF Auteur (which I still own and love for their luscious mids and overall tonality) I find the Clear MG bests them for detail retrieval and most other technicalities, has a well-extended but more listenable (less fatiguing) treble, better low end...and yet through my Feliks Elise OTL they are quite musical and definitely not soul-less. Obviously one's entire chain and preferences matter, I guess that's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors (hope I'm not dating myself too badly with that analogy). 🍦🎶:smile_phones:

Feb 11, 2022 at 7:27 AM Post #1,407 of 2,141
For me "They have no soul" is equivalent to saying "They have no air".

To MY EARS, this vital component is conspicuously missing from the MG's signature, and no amount of pad-rolling, cable-rolling, amp-rolling, PEQ-ing, etc. can and/or will compensate for it. This airiness deficit also contributes to the shallow, nasally presentation of male vocals, IMHO.

These headphones ARE very, very accomplished in many respects, admirably, unquestionably. Yet--for me--wanting in the one critical respect atop my checklist.

I would, however, not typify the MG as "clinical"; rather, to MY EARS, the MG's sound lies on the warm, bordering on (pleasingly) lush, side of neutral.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back