Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Dec 12, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #751 of 2,126
Interesting.

You know one reason I thought the Mg might get trashed is because a lot of people are very used to the OG, or in love with it. It's very easy when one is accustomed to a certain signature, that when presented with that same signature slightly modified, to call it wrong, or off. I think this is much more likely to occur between similar headphones than dramatically different ones. It seemed odd to me that focal would produce an inferior revision, to be honest, I don't believe it. They make such superb products it would at least be a sidegrade.
I can see that being the culprit. I had the OG for over a year before I compared the 2. Initially out of the box the MG did seem diffused and I was underwhelmed, but I let them break in over the first night and then did my critical listening tests during the next week. First 3 days I did 1 hour intervals between the 2. I pretty much knew by then the OG were headed to the for sale forum here lol.

Dec 12, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #752 of 2,126
Just to add that the clamp of the new mg's is pretty strong at the start. They get streched over time.

Why I'm mentioning this, because the mg's (and elex as well) change their signature dependable of the driver - ear distance. Elear does not exhibit such changes which leads me to believe it's the pads structure that is making these changes.

You can test it yourself, press the cups or strech them slightly. Just a few milimeters in both directions can make an audible difference. Could be a part of the burn in.

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #753 of 2,126
I spent a day A/Bing the Clear MG and an OG in a quiet listening room. The Clear MG was definitely more detailed and imaged better. To my ears the frequency response was more polished across the entire spectrum with one exception- male vocals. Whatever they did you the mids them sound hollow and warm simultaneously. Hard to describe but I wasn’t a fan of that. Female vocals on the other hand were the most beautiful I’ve heard.

So if you can deal with the male vocals, I think they’re clearly more polished

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #754 of 2,126
Interesting.

You know one reason I thought the Mg might get trashed is because a lot of people are very used to the OG, or in love with it. It's very easy when one is accustomed to a certain signature, that when presented with that same signature slightly modified, to call it wrong, or off. I think this is much more likely to occur between similar headphones than dramatically different ones. It seemed odd to me that focal would produce an inferior revision, to be honest, I don't believe it. They make such superb products it would at least be a sidegrade.
I auditioned the OG several years ago and found it bright, a bit metallic and not for me. Now enjoying the hell out of MG. But had my brain burned in to the OG sound signature I may have perceived the MG as "soft" or overly warm. I do find with my tube amp more treble focused tubes pair best with MG.

Dec 12, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #755 of 2,126
I auditioned the OG several years ago and found it bright, a bit metallic and not for me. Now enjoying the hell out of MG. But had my brain burned in to the OG sound signature I may have perceived the MG as "soft" or overly warm. I do find with my tube amp more treble focused tubes pair best with MG.
Just pulled the trigger on a MG myself. I used to own the og but didn't own a tube amp back then, but now I have the Elise and mj2 and I can't wait to give the Elise with the mg a shot.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #757 of 2,126
I upgraded from the OG to the MG a couple a months ago, an must say that I do enjoy the separation of sound and slam of the MG much better. I also found that the MGs sound great on the Topping A30 D30 pro stack. The pairing really bring the best sound, the smooth, clear, dynamic sound an amazing slam just shines on this pairing. FYI also listened using the IFI IDSD Signatue, the IFI Zen Signature Stack, the IFI Hip Dac and the Topping A50s D50s stack, and none brought out the sound like the A30 30 Pro.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #758 of 2,126
Thanks for the link - The source will be iPhone 11 Max Pro / iPad Pro (sitting on the desk using USB-C output), the DAC/AMP is currently Fiio Q5s TC at high gain / 40% volume / 3.5mm LO.

I am looking to upgrade in the future to the Fiio M17 or the iFi Audio xDSD or desktop Topping D90/A90 / SMSL / Schiit Gungnir/Ragnarok / Schiit Bifrost/Jotunheim / Matrix Audio/Technics SU-R1000 - too many choices.
Consider also the Topping A30 D30 Pro, very similar to the A90 D90 stack, but I only paid $700 for the stack and makes the MG's sound really clear, crisp, fast and a really nice slam in the bass. Its my favorite pairing with the MGs

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:07 AM Post #759 of 2,126
Consider also the Topping A30 D30 Pro, very similar to the A90 D90 stack, but I only paid $700 for the stack and makes the MG's sound really clear, crisp, fast and a really nice slam in the bass. Its my favorite pairing with the MGs
What about sharp peaky treble. Does the A30 D30PRO not cause a sharp treble fatigue here?

Dec 14, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #760 of 2,126
What about sharp peaky treble. Does the A30 D30PRO not cause a sharp treble fatigue here?
Not really the D30 pro does not use the Saber dac which is known to be a little sharp. It uses 4 x CS43198 DAC Chips, which smooths the peaks making music less fatiguing.
iiWi has a good video explaining the Dac.

Dec 15, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #763 of 2,126
Anyone using any aftermarket pads with their MG?

I just received mine this morning and it sounds amazing out of the box. How ever i think to me, it sounds a lot warmer than the OG. At least the mid bass is well controlled and certainly doesn't bleed in to the vocals. I have played it using my MJ2 and it sounded extremely holographic. With my Elise OTL and ken rad vt231 driver tubes, the bass is sublime and well extended. I was wondering if anyone else tried the OG dekoni pads...

Thanks

Dec 15, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #764 of 2,126
Anyone using any aftermarket pads with their MG?

I just received mine this morning and it sounds amazing out of the box. How ever i think to me, it sounds a lot warmer than the OG. At least the mid bass is well controlled and certainly doesn't bleed in to the vocals. I have played it using my MJ2 and it sounded extremely holographic. With my Elise OTL and ken rad vt231 driver tubes, the bass is sublime and well extended. I was wondering if anyone else tried the OG dekoni pads...

Thanks
I've been using these since my OG days. Now on my MG.
https://dekoniaudio.com/product/limited-edition-ear-pads-for-focal-stellia-headphones/

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:03 PM Post #765 of 2,126
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back