Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Aug 1, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #511 of 2,149
IMG_20210801_175015.jpg

In my opinion the guys in Focal know exactly what they are doing!

Aug 3, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #514 of 2,149
It's been 11 days since I've acquired the MG pro. I've been comparing them to my OG pro extensively over that period.

Here are my final thoughts on the comparison.

I've had my OG pro since December of 2019. Never intended on getting the MG pro. Reviews were all over the place and camps formed that one was better than the other. Some said there were huge differences and some not. So I told myself that I'm content with the OG and focused on other parts of my rig.
Well the "what if" got the best of me.

For me and my preferences the MG is the better can. The MG takes the name even further. CLEAR.

The MG is much more open and vivid. The imaging has more clarity and separation than the OG. Especially during really complex passages. Everything just comes through effortlessly and never feels congested. The MG is more dimensional and holographic than the OG. I can hear the nuances and wall reverb much better. The MG sounds more real to me.
The MG has more bass weight and extension with a firmer grip and impact. Fills in the image on a bigger plane. The midrange is where the MG really pulls away. It's so textured and paints a much more realistic picture.
The treble for me is perfectly balanced. I never had a complaint with the OG treble until this comparison with the MG.

When switching from the MG to the OG it was immediately apparent there was more treble focus than the MG.
That treble focus on the OG causes a blur in the nuances and reverb trails. Basically I have a harder time picking them out and placing them on the OG. Especially when there's a lot going on at one time. The dimensional space seems to collapse a little and the treble seems to dominate everything.

I did this comparison playing whole songs, snippets, and whole playlists.. sometimes switching every 5 to 10 minutes and keeping one or the other on my head for extended hours. Every time I put the MG on it felt like the lens was wiped clear. It was more coherent and resolving.

With all that said. The OG and MG are a lot closer than they are different. The MG is just a more polished and resolving version of the OG. If the MG is 100 on a scale. The OG is right there at about a 93.
For me the MG is worth the extra cost with today's pricing. I'm really glad I caved to the "what if" lol.

Now with the disclaimer. This is just one man's opinion and subjective view of the two. Others may come to a different conclusion.

Cheers!
:beerchug:
My experience is very similar to your comparison between my OG to new MG.
Well written. Excellent

Aug 4, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #517 of 2,149
He got tired from a resonance and metallic timbre at 18kHz?
What the hell is he listening to?
I have been listening with this for two weeks now continuously and can't disagree more with him.
I must be deaf and sorry but I couldn't get them clipping without bleeding my ears.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #518 of 2,149

The CSD plots he refers to seems to show a resonance but higher than the value he mentions (above 20Hz). That being said most headphones' measurements past 10kHz need to be taken with a pinch of salt (maybe with the exception of the 5128, at least as a representation of the average population, albeit not necessarily representative of your individual experience).
Most tracks don't have a lot of content at these frequencies and the intensity tends to be quite low.
That being said, it's entirely possible that he was indeed bothered by their response above 10kHz - he's not the first one to mention that he felt some excess in that region, Resolve did too unless I'm mistaken -, but I'm not certain about the specifics he mentioned.

Aug 4, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #519 of 2,149
The CSD plots he refers to seems to show a resonance but higher than the value he mentions (above 20Hz). That being said most headphones' measurements past 10kHz need to be taken with a pinch of salt (maybe with the exception of the 5128, at least as a representation of the average population, albeit not necessarily representative of your individual experience).
Most tracks don't have a lot of content at these frequencies and the intensity tends to be quite low.
That being said, it's entirely possible that he was indeed bothered by their response above 10kHz - he's not the first one to mention that he felt some excess in that region, Resolve did too unless I'm mistaken -, but I'm not certain about the specifics he mentioned.
I find the original Clear much more fatiguing and with metallic timbre above a certain frequency.
The Mg have addressed this problem , at least for my individual hearing.

It seems that there is a certain trend for some reviewers to nitpick and exaggerate for reasons better known to them...

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #522 of 2,149

Saw the video yesterday. Was planning to go back in it on my clear and listen to the songs he described. But honestly, I don't think I will. I am very happy with my MGs. They sound great to me, and that is fine :)

Also, I am 33 so I guess simply cannot hear the high frequency. I do agree female vocals sound better than male vocals though.

These are one of the higher end headphones I actually can listen to for 5-8 hours a day.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #523 of 2,149
What the hell is he listening to?
I have been listening with this for two weeks now continuously and can't disagree more with him.
I must be deaf and sorry but I couldn't get them clipping without bleeding my ears.
Can't agree more.

Aug 4, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #525 of 2,149
I use SMSL SU9 + Singxer SA1

But only the SMSL has a remote, and I personally am of opinion it is better to alter the volume on the amp rather the DAC. But you could probably use the SU9 volume without any problem.

Why a remote btw? Always wondered why people use remotes with their headphone amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back