Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Jul 20, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #496 of 2,148
X will perform bigger imaging, with little more bite at upper mid to treble area, where Clear MG that nice (and kind of balance) warm feeling at midrange to bass area. Great allrounder both of them, really can't go wrong either way.

Both produce punchy and deep bass, with Audeze has extra "oomph" on midbass area.
Hi, yes agree on these points.
‘more bite at upper mid to treble area”. This is why i went for Clear MG PRO.

what it is with premium headphones where treble sharp sibilance is acceptable compromise from higher resolution resolving benefits. Put enjoyment first. Top end Hifi speakers don’t aim to annoy us with painful treble.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #497 of 2,148
Hi, yes agree on these points.
‘more bite at upper mid to treble area”. This is why i went for Clear MG PRO.

what it is with premium headphones where treble sharp sibilance is acceptable compromise from higher resolution resolving benefits. Put enjoyment first. Top end Hifi speakers don’t aim to annoy us with painful treble.

The MG Pro has less bite than the non-MG version, so you may want to try the original out at some point. I had both and the MG Pro was too dull sounding for me.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #499 of 2,148
Took the plunge on the Pro MG. Only 4 hours on the Pro MG. I currently have the Pro OG. I'll report back once I get the MG to atleast 50 hours.
20210720_215518.jpg

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #500 of 2,148
When I still had the original Clear (Pro), I remember comparing them to the MG Pro and hearing how different the treble presentation was. The MG is just really smooth and non-fatiguing in comparison. I always thought cymbals and other metallic instruments were off timbre and peaky with the original Clear, and the MG fixed that for me. In comparison to my HE-500, the mid/upper treble from 9 - 11kHz is slightly recessed on the Clear MG, so I like to equalize it up by 3 dB specifically for instrumental, orchestral, and jazz tracks and warmer mixes. For bright and compressed pop and rock genres, I leave the treble where it is. The presentation of the Clear MG is so unique, the imaging, soundstage, separation qualities of the MG are so much like a good stereo speaker setup right in front of you. I don't remember if the original Clear did the same thing, but it's amazing. I use them for gaming as well.

Jul 20, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #501 of 2,148
When I still had the original Clear (Pro), I remember comparing them to the MG Pro and hearing how different the treble presentation was. The MG is just really smooth and non-fatiguing in comparison. I always thought cymbals and other metallic instruments were off timbre and peaky with the original Clear, and the MG fixed that for me. In comparison to my HE-500, the mid/upper treble from 9 - 11kHz is slightly recessed on the Clear MG, so I like to equalize it up by 3 dB specifically for instrumental, orchestral, and jazz tracks and warmer mixes. For bright and compressed pop and rock genres, I leave the treble where it is. The presentation of the Clear MG is so unique, the imaging, soundstage, separation qualities of the MG are so much like a good stereo speaker setup right in front of you. I don't remember if the original Clear did the same thing, but it's amazing. I use them for gaming as well.
I've had the HE500. The treble on it was the reason I sold it. Lol. For me it was hot. No sibilance but it walked that line.
The lack of dynamics was another factor. They just didn't have that 0 to 60 and 60 to 0 feel. Other than that the HE500 was a midrange monster. The absolute best vocal presentation I've ever heard. Literally could bring you to tears lol

I will definitely report back. Also I do not have stock pads on my OG. I went through a pad rolling phase and for me. The Dekoni Stellia limited pads are the bees knees! They softened the spikes perfectly and reduced some of the dry splash present in a lot of music.

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #502 of 2,148
I've had the HE500. The treble on it was the reason I sold it. Lol. For me it was hot. No sibilance but it walked that line.
The lack of dynamics was another factor. They just didn't have that 0 to 60 and 60 to 0 feel. Other than that the HE500 was a midrange monster. The absolute best vocal presentation I've ever heard. Literally could bring you to tears lol

I will definitely report back. Also I do not have stock pads on my OG. I went through a pad rolling phase and for me. The Dekoni Stellia limited pads are the bees knees! They softened the spikes perfectly and reduced some of the dry splash present in a lot of music.
With the Velpads, I don't find the HE-500 as bright as with other pads. I also don't mind the extra brightness as I can always tame it down with EQ. Of course in comparison to any Focal headphone, dynamics are not as good, as to be expected. Once you've tasted Focal dynamics, it's hard to go back to anything else, lol. If Focal Clear MG dynamics are at 100, the HE-500 is best case scenario an 80, still great for a planar. But it has other things going for it like soundstage and wider imaging, and I agree beautiful vocals.

Looking forward to hear your impressions of the MG!

Jul 21, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #505 of 2,148
When I still had the original Clear (Pro), I remember comparing them to the MG Pro and hearing how different the treble presentation was. The MG is just really smooth and non-fatiguing in comparison. I always thought cymbals and other metallic instruments were off timbre and peaky with the original Clear, and the MG fixed that for me.
Main point that make me think Clear MG has the best sound character in current Focal line up. If only it able to render speed and precise imaging like Utopia...

The low end is not very tight compared to OG. it seems quite loose and even bloated in comparison. Perhaps because only had 25hours run time so far
I think due to warmness on upper bass of MG, however with the right set up it seems clear and tight enough for my preference.

Something like ZMF Aeolus would produce the same butter smooth sound, with cleaner mid/upper bass than Clear MG. However, the overall bass quality is higher on MG as it able to produce impact with more density and authority.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #506 of 2,148
I don't get why people say the Utopia is fast with precise imaging. I didn't notice a difference compared to the Clear and it is no where near as fast as electrostatics.

Jul 21, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #507 of 2,148
Just saw that Rtings measured a pair of Clear MGs and found the treble super recessed (upper treble almost 8 dB down). Measurements show the original to be about 4 dB down in that range. Makes me wonder about reviews like this one where the reviewer is comparing an original to a MG in terms of treble and can't find a difference except "increased dynamics" from the MG which matches Focal's marketing: https://www.audioholics.com/headphone-reviews/focal-discontinues-clear-delivers-new-clear-mg

I wonder if it's just easier to hear the decay between sounds at a higher volume and if people are interpreting that as slowness and lack of dynamics?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #508 of 2,148
Just saw that Rtings measured a pair of Clear MGs and found the treble super recessed (upper treble almost 8 dB down). Measurements show the original to be about 4 dB down in that range. Makes me wonder about reviews like this one where the reviewer is comparing an original to a MG in terms of treble and can't find a difference except "increased dynamics" from the MG which matches Focal's marketing: https://www.audioholics.com/headphone-reviews/focal-discontinues-clear-delivers-new-clear-mg

I wonder if it's just easier to hear the decay between sounds at a higher volume and if people are interpreting that as slowness and lack of dynamics?
My initial thoughts on the comparison is that the MG seems to cut through the imaging a bit better. Me personally am not noticing a huge difference in the treble response. Yes , the MG is definitely smoother but not overly smooth. Dynamics to me seem comparable. The MG has a cleaner and clearer image in busy passages. The MG seems faster throughout the response. Faster attack and decay. Bass on the MG is more articulate and hits a tad harder but on a bigger plane. The OG bass is more centered.

With that said it's not a huge difference imo. MG still sounds like it needs more time to fully open up. I'll report back in a day or so when I feel the MG is at its pinnacle.

Aug 1, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #509 of 2,148
It's been 11 days since I've acquired the MG pro. I've been comparing them to my OG pro extensively over that period.

Here are my final thoughts on the comparison.

I've had my OG pro since December of 2019. Never intended on getting the MG pro. Reviews were all over the place and camps formed that one was better than the other. Some said there were huge differences and some not. So I told myself that I'm content with the OG and focused on other parts of my rig.
Well the "what if" got the best of me.

For me and my preferences the MG is the better can. The MG takes the name even further. CLEAR.

The MG is much more open and vivid. The imaging has more clarity and separation than the OG. Especially during really complex passages. Everything just comes through effortlessly and never feels congested. The MG is more dimensional and holographic than the OG. I can hear the nuances and wall reverb much better. The MG sounds more real to me.
The MG has more bass weight and extension with a firmer grip and impact. Fills in the image on a bigger plane. The midrange is where the MG really pulls away. It's so textured and paints a much more realistic picture.
The treble for me is perfectly balanced. I never had a complaint with the OG treble until this comparison with the MG.

When switching from the MG to the OG it was immediately apparent there was more treble focus than the MG.
That treble focus on the OG causes a blur in the nuances and reverb trails. Basically I have a harder time picking them out and placing them on the OG. Especially when there's a lot going on at one time. The dimensional space seems to collapse a little and the treble seems to dominate everything.

I did this comparison playing whole songs, snippets, and whole playlists.. sometimes switching every 5 to 10 minutes and keeping one or the other on my head for extended hours. Every time I put the MG on it felt like the lens was wiped clear. It was more coherent and resolving.

With all that said. The OG and MG are a lot closer than they are different. The MG is just a more polished and resolving version of the OG. If the MG is 100 on a scale. The OG is right there at about a 93.
For me the MG is worth the extra cost with today's pricing. I'm really glad I caved to the "what if" lol.

Now with the disclaimer. This is just one man's opinion and subjective view of the two. Others may come to a different conclusion.

Cheers!
:beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back