Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Jul 5, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #454 of 2,126
I took the bait. My pair of Focal Clear MG Pro arrive Wednesday. Right now am thoroughly enjoying the IMO underrated Hifiman HE-560. But hoping this pair of Focal Clear considering the cost is my endgame. I have truly grown weary mentally and certainly financially of this addictive game haha.

My DAC/headamp is a iFi iDSD Pro (MQA/pentaconn balanced output version). It certainly is expensive enough a combo when the Focal is added in.

I also have a brand new Icon Audio HP8 MKII owed to me by Music Direct. Who did not fix my warranty returned unit, rather decided to just replace it, which seems great, but they are out of stock and Icon has no idea when they will be sending their next shipment to restock any of their products at Music Direct. So I am now at 6 months waiting on my amp. Well, they have the amp I bought AND my money. Just hoping for one or the other back soon. LOL. At least I am laughing about it now and not pulling hair anymore.

But the plan is to sell that Icon amp brand new in its box when I get it, assuming I just can't talk them into my money back for this farce. That will pay for the new phones. And that is it, I am DONE. END GAME. (Says the man now, lol. We will see how this works out)

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #455 of 2,126
I took the bait. My pair of Focal Clear MG Pro arrive Wednesday. Right now am thoroughly enjoying the IMO underrated Hifiman HE-560. But hoping this pair of Focal Clear considering the cost is my endgame. I have truly grown weary mentally and certainly financially of this addictive game haha.

My DAC/headamp is a iFi iDSD Pro (MQA/pentaconn balanced output version). It certainly is expensive enough a combo when the Focal is added in.

I also have a brand new Icon Audio HP8 MKII owed to me by Music Direct. Who did not fix my warranty returned unit, rather decided to just replace it, which seems great, but they are out of stock and Icon has no idea when they will be sending their next shipment to restock any of their products at Music Direct. So I am now at 6 months waiting on my amp. Well, they have the amp I bought AND my money. Just hoping for one or the other back soon. LOL. At least I am laughing about it now and not pulling hair anymore.

But the plan is to sell that Icon amp brand new in its box when I get it, assuming I just can't talk them into my money back for this farce. That will pay for the new phones. And that is it, I am DONE. END GAME. (Says the man now, lol. We will see how this works out)

Well, Clear Mg clearly (pun intended) has different character than your Hifiman. This should be a good start not to become an end game :wink:

Jul 6, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #456 of 2,126
After only 5hours of use.
i think these need burn as currently it is very thin sounding in mids and low end base is very wooly.
I remember my Focal Clear originals were like this for about 25hours.

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #459 of 2,126
Just got mine today! I have already been using Focal stellia, so I wasn't expected to be this good but oh man.. I am loving it so much!

20210706_154016.jpg
20210706_170213.jpg

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #460 of 2,126
Can someone explain what clipping is as referenced on this thread?
if you play a track that has a low frequency near 5~20hz like Sub-Grinder by Bassotronics above a certain DB, the driver starts to hit the maximum excursion.
When Driver hits maximum excursion, you can hear low-frequency strat to create a popping sound. that is what clipping that people talking about.
I've tried the same track (Sub-Grinder) on Elear, Elex, Clear OG, Utopia all have it. The only headphone from focal that is free from this clipping is Stellia due to a much stiffer surround(the rubber that glued metal parts of the driver to the diaphragm.)
It is not really a problem for low volume listeners, but there are people like me who listen to music loud.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #461 of 2,126

You should be happy I think, we got feedback that it's a nice combo.

And that is it, I am DONE. END GAME. (Says the man now, lol. We will see how this works out)

Although I keep my fingers crossed, the odds for this are rather slim :D

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 7, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #464 of 2,126
Well for now Final Audio D8000 Pro.
Getting expensive up here!!

These Clear MG Pros are really decent headphones, I had the OG Grey Clears and liked them very very much....but there is always wanting to try new stuff for me.
We only go around once in this life.....enjoy the music while u can.

:>)

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back