Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
May 25, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #421 of 2,141
I am no expert at all, but I think those differences are pretty minor and could result from differences between measurements.

Would you care to measure it 5 times and take the average per side? Curious how that would look.
Remove and place the headphones again 5 times in a row, don't just measure them. I think placement on measurement devices could introduce quite a bit of randomness.

May 25, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #422 of 2,141
I've swapped the pads several times now, measuring each time. In the swapped configuration the 1db difference narrows in the low end. However, in all of the tests I've run in different positions and different pad configurations - the right channel is always 2db higher at 2k, 3.5k, and 4.5k. As shown here:

new_clear1.PNG

I've noticed the highs were elevated on the right channel since I got them, this proves it. I'm assuming it's a driver mismatch since this is true independent of pad swapping.
I had a problem where the left driver of my MG Pro sounds muddier (or softer?) than the right driver. It was quite obvious when I first put on the headphones but after like 30 seconds, it is no longer obvious (may be our brain can compensate?).

I verified the problem with my wife. I let her wear the headphone without telling her whats the problem and just switched on/off the left/right channel alternatively and she confirmed the same problem.

I also convinced the retailer after we tested a few times with his own equipment.

It was sent back to France but the retailer told me Focal said their testing found no problem but they will send me back a new pair anyway. The whole process took 1.5 mths but I got a new pair now and I am happy with it.

May 26, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #424 of 2,141
I am no expert at all, but I think those differences are pretty minor and could result from differences between measurements.

Would you care to measure it 5 times and take the average per side? Curious how that would look.
Remove and place the headphones again 5 times in a row, don't just measure them. I think placement on measurement devices could introduce quite a bit of randomness.

clear_avg.PNG

For sure - I should have been more clear in my last post, that was the process I did to remove inconsistencies. Above is the graph of an average of all of my tests thus far between repositioning them and swapping pads back and fourth, result is about the same. 2-3db is definitely noticeable at arguably the most important frequency range for positioning.

I had a problem where the left driver of my MG Pro sounds muddier (or softer?) than the right driver. It was quite obvious when I first put on the headphones but after like 30 seconds, it is no longer obvious (may be our brain can compensate?).

I verified the problem with my wife. I let her wear the headphone without telling her whats the problem and just switched on/off the left/right channel alternatively and she confirmed the same problem.

I also convinced the retailer after we tested a few times with his own equipment.

It was sent back to France but the retailer told me Focal said their testing found no problem but they will send me back a new pair anyway. The whole process took 1.5 mths but I got a new pair now and I am happy with it.
Good to know! Sounds pretty similar to me. Hopefully my next set is good to go - I love these cans so much!

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #427 of 2,141
Hey, how much are you willing to pay? I received a free one with my MG's which I found later on AE at 30+ €,quite cheap IMO. It has balanced and SEd versions and some lengths available. Connectors are ok/nice as can be seen. I like the sound of the 2.5mm. balanced version. It's "silver plated", and kinda like it more than the stock one soundwise, but I had my MGs for not enough time yet to be sure (now having some fun playing with EQ and available sources, trying get some db in the 4k-6k zone without ruin the soundstage hehe).
The cable is soft but I don't like the color at all, and I'm only using it at home until I get some new one (so I'm looking for a another one too). Let me know if you like purple and will share the AE link (I'm using the app and cannot share a neutral link from it) but it should be easy to find xD

Screenshot_2021-06-23-18-11-09-39.jpg

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #428 of 2,141
Hey, how much are you willing to pay?
I'd like to stay under $500 if possible. The stock cables are good but I'd like something not as firm or stout. They really have held onto the shape of being stored all folded up. Just something silkier that will sit on my desk cleaner and not in a huge knot. If I can get better sound quality as well then that's a bonus. I was looking at the Moon-Audio Silver Dragon Premium Cable V3. Anyone tried the brand?

Jun 24, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #429 of 2,141
I'd like to stay under $500 if possible. The stock cables are good but I'd like something not as firm or stout. They really have held onto the shape of being stored all folded up. Just something silkier that will sit on my desk cleaner and not in a huge knot. If I can get better sound quality as well then that's a bonus. I was looking at the Moon-Audio Silver Dragon Premium Cable V3. Anyone tried the brand?
You're right about the stock cable stiffness.
I'm not going to spend that much, so have no idea in that price segment. Anyway, will be nice to read what you finally got, and what do you think about it, in case you share. Good luck.

Jun 27, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #430 of 2,141
I am wondering what electronics everyone is using with their Clear MG

I had a schiit hel 2 as my Dac/Amp, which started bugging out, I am back in the Dac/Amp game a little sooner than expected. I was planning to audit a lot of amps for a year or so and then decide if I wanted to upgrade and to what. Sadly I need to speed up that timeline, since I am without any form of dac/amp now. Positive side is I get my full 200 bucks back from Hel 2.

Schiit seems to have some QC issues if you ask me. A lot of their new Hel and Fulla are having bugs. I have also heard some of the Asgards they are sending out have some humming in one channel. I know there are a lot of Schiit fans (I am still a fan too!) on here, but since I am in EU, I am not sure I want to buy another schiit device right now. Big delays on ordering and a chance to need to RMA it will take just too much time. (I do want to point out I still like Schiit, and they are handling these issues pretty well if you ask me!)

So what are my options to pair with a Clear MG if we exclude Schiit? My budget is 1000 euro max, but keeping it under 700-800 would be even better. I love listening to the clears, I don’t think I am going to extend my headphone game further. So the amp doesn’t have to be able to drive heavy planars “just in case”. I do want to hook up a small desk stereo system later on, so pre-amp is an advantage. I honestly did like the Clear MGs on the Hel 2, and while I did hear improvement in an audio shop auditing some other amps, I was really content with my hel 2. The difference start to become so small.

Right now, I have come to 3 options:

• RME Dac, with internal amplifier. See how I like it, and possibly upgrade the amp later.
  • Singxer SA1 with an somewhat entry level dac (SMSL M300 MKII?)
  • Try and buy something cheap 2nd hand and wait for schiit to get their schiit together and buy a bifrost + Asgard / Jotunheim later.
What I really like in option 1, is that the DAC is really top notch AFAIK. Such an top notch DAC will always be useful, and could also be used in other systems. Option 2 is the cheapest option, and focuses more on the AMP part of the equation. A Dac upgrade would be possible in the future (Bifrost?) Option 3 is my least favorite I think. I could be waiting for a year with all the shortages etc. Being in Europe just makes Schiit less appealing.

Opinions? What have you guys paired with your Clear MG so far? I have seen some Singxers in here, not sure about the paired DACs though. Curious how it would do on the RME internal amp, anyone experience with that?

Thanks again!

Jun 27, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #431 of 2,141

I had a schiit hel 2 as my Dac/Amp, which started bugging out, I am back in the Dac/Amp game a little sooner than expected. I was planning to audit a lot of amps for a year or so and then decide if I wanted to upgrade and to what. Sadly I need to speed up that timeline, since I am without any form of dac/amp now. Positive side is I get my full 200 bucks back from Hel 2.

Schiit seems to have some QC issues if you ask me. A lot of their new Hel and Fulla are having bugs. I have also heard some of the Asgards they are sending out have some humming in one channel. I know there are a lot of Schiit fans (I am still a fan too!) on here, but since I am in EU, I am not sure I want to buy another schiit device right now. Big delays on ordering and a chance to need to RMA it will take just too much time. (I do want to point out I still like Schiit, and they are handling these issues pretty well if you ask me!)

So what are my options to pair with a Clear MG if we exclude Schiit? My budget is 1000 euro max, but keeping it under 700-800 would be even better. I love listening to the clears, I don’t think I am going to extend my headphone game further. So the amp doesn’t have to be able to drive heavy planars “just in case”. I do want to hook up a small desk stereo system later on, so pre-amp is an advantage. I honestly did like the Clear MGs on the Hel 2, and while I did hear improvement in an audio shop auditing some other amps, I was really content with my hel 2. The difference start to become so small.

• RME Dac, with internal amplifier. See how I like it, and possibly upgrade the amp later.
  • Try and buy something cheap 2nd hand and wait for schiit to get their schiit together and buy a bifrost + Asgard / Jotunheim later.
What I really like in option 1, is that the DAC is really top notch AFAIK. Such an top notch DAC will always be useful, and could also be used in other systems. Option 2 is the cheapest option, and focuses more on the AMP part of the equation. A Dac upgrade would be possible in the future (Bifrost?) Option 3 is my least favorite I think. I could be waiting for a year with all the shortages etc. Being in Europe just makes Schiit less appealing.

Opinions? What have you guys paired with your Clear MG so far? I have seen some Singxers in here, not sure about the paired DACs though. Curious how it would do on the RME internal amp, anyone experience with that?

Thanks again!
I don't have an RME ADI-2 or the MG's but for your situation I think the RME would be pretty much perfect. Especially with your desire to add studio monitors later on.

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #432 of 2,141

Thanks again!
i'm using a jds labs el ii stack, and they sound fantastic. that said i have only tried the atom stack and the fiio q3 to compare to, but it blows those out of the water. eventually i would like to upgrade to something like a bifrost + asgard/jotunheim setup since i heard that it's a bit more of a fun and punchy sound which seems to compliment my preference for pop/rock/electronic music

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #433 of 2,141
I've swapped the pads several times now, measuring each time. In the swapped configuration the 1db difference narrows in the low end. However, in all of the tests I've run in different positions and different pad configurations - the right channel is always 2db higher at 2k, 3.5k, and 4.5k. As shown here:

new_clear1.PNG

I've noticed the highs were elevated on the right channel since I got them, this proves it. I'm assuming it's a driver mismatch since this is true independent of pad swapping.
Between 5 and 8k looks downright horrible. Like totally AWOL. Focal still hasn't fixed its Achilles Heel.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #435 of 2,141

Users who are viewing this thread

Back