Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Apr 26, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #316 of 2,150
I’ve read that the clear mg pro and clear mg have different tuning/ sound stage. There was a review saying that the clear mg pro definitely had a smaller soundstage, in comparison to the clear mg.

I did see the review (i think from Audio 46). I have only tried the Clear Mg Pro, so I cannot comment on the Clear Mg regular, but from all I've read, they should be the same. There are possible variations in pad sizes. I did measure all 4 pads that came with the Mg Pro, and there are some slight variation between the 4, granted they both had some slight use each from myself, TylersEclectic, and the previous reviewer (Josh Valour).

Those cables you used with it look absolutely awesome. Where did you get those?

The cables are homemade. I used Paracord as the sheathing material, so finding the red/black look should be pretty easy.

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #317 of 2,150
I see. The reason why I put that forward was because of this https://majorhifi.com/focal-clear-mg-vs-clear-mg-pro/ . What's interesting is that the audio46 review says the exact opposite. I have a suspicion that the pads are not consistent ( going off how my pads arrived), which is affecting the sound. I do like the smooth sound from these headphones. It's not fatiguing even when paired with a linear amp/dac combo (A90+D90). I'll also be getting my og clear pads today. I'll let you guys know how that sounds.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #318 of 2,150
I posted my full review and measurements of the Clear Mg (Pro) here: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2021/04/focal-clear-mg-pro-review.html

Thanks to headphones.com for letting me borrow it for review and demoing :)

Graph Tool: https://headphones.audiodiscourse.com/?share=Antdroid Target,Clear Mg Pro

Nice review. I hear it the way you do. I did get the opportunity to A/B test the Clear OG and the Clear MG and I much preferred the OG because it was actually more "CLEAR" pun intended. As a result, I bought a CLEAR OG on the Headphones.com close out. I love the punch and slam of this headphone.

I must say that I think the Clear Pro MG may be the most aesthetically pleasing headphone outside of the ZMF headphones.

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #319 of 2,150
I see. The reason why I put that forward was because of this https://majorhifi.com/focal-clear-mg-vs-clear-mg-pro/ . What's interesting is that the audio46 review says the exact opposite. I have a suspicion that the pads are not consistent ( going off how my pads arrived), which is affecting the sound. I do like the smooth sound from these headphones. It's not fatiguing even when paired with a linear amp/dac combo (A90+D90). I'll also be getting my og clear pads today. I'll let you guys know how that sounds.

Oh didnt know MajorHifi posted a review too. Interesting, because I believe they are the same company, or at least owned by the same person. :)

Apr 26, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #320 of 2,150
unknown.png

Here are my measurements of the 4 pads (all slightly used) that came in the box of the Clear Mg Pro demo unit I currently have on loan. They were all measured on the same right cup. Please note, this is zoomed in a little more than normal. Each line is 1dB

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #321 of 2,150
So I just got my original clear pads and there is a noticeable difference in sound (in my opinion). It sounds better with the original clear ear pads to my ears, but to be fair one of my ear pads on the mg came mismatched. The original clear pads(non mg) sound more open, more airy, more detailed, without losing anything in exchange. In "River Flows In You (Orchestra Version)" by Yiruma, there is a harp (I believe that's what it is) that is being strummed between 3:29 to 3:33 that one could make out, with the mg pads it sounds like it has less potency and clarity compared to the original clear pads. Instruments in general sound more detailed, but strummed instruments sound especially detailed. The fenestrated dekoni pads didn't do it for me.

It doesn't look that bad with the original clear pads.
rcmn1g.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #322 of 2,150
The cables are homemade. I used Paracord as the sheathing material, so finding the red/black look should be pretty easy.
That sounds like a cool project. I might try that! Is it simply default paracord?
What kind of conductor did you use? It should be fairly flexible right?

If I am going to buy the MG, I am going to buy the pro version for sure, 4 pads should give a nice opportunity to (try to) match pads

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #323 of 2,150
My experience in trying the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads on the Clear MG:
  • Veiled sound - primarily in the mids and upper-mids
  • Thicker pads resulted in drivers being further away from ear, decreasing volume when compared to stock pads (this could also contribute to the veiled sound).
  • Less comfortable for me - the padding material and leather that Dekoni use result in a less "soft" and "plushy" feel than the stock pads
I ended up switching back to stock pads, as you could probably guess from my main points.

What originally drove me to try the Dekoni pads was some inconsistency in the amount of padding material in my stock pads. I noticed however that swapping the left and right stock pads would move the area with less padding to the forward-facing side of the pad. This was beneficial for me as my main problem was my ear touching the grille inside of the cup, which is now reduced.

I'll probably be waiting to get replacement stock pads whenever those are available, or potentially trying out the OG Clear pads as well.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #324 of 2,150
My experience in trying the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads on the Clear MG:
  • Veiled sound - primarily in the mids and upper-mids
  • Thicker pads resulted in drivers being further away from ear, decreasing volume when compared to stock pads (this could also contribute to the veiled sound).
  • Less comfortable for me - the padding material and leather that Dekoni use result in a less "soft" and "plushy" feel than the stock pads
I ended up switching back to stock pads, as you could probably guess from my main points.

What originally drove me to try the Dekoni pads was some inconsistency in the amount of padding material in my stock pads. I noticed however that swapping the left and right stock pads would move the area with less padding to the forward-facing side of the pad. This was beneficial for me as my main problem was my ear touching the grille inside of the cup, which is now reduced.

I'll probably be waiting to get replacement stock pads whenever those are available, or potentially trying out the OG Clear pads as well.
It's crazy, that's exactly the same problem I had with my stock pads. I agree with your assessment of the Dekoni pads. You lose more than you gain.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #325 of 2,150
Hello
Focal Clear MG is my first audiophile headphone. Have jot2 and Bitfrost2 back ordered. In meantime using new modi and magni as amp dac.

Newbie observations..

when listening straight to iPhone, did not experience fatigue or headache. First session with magni/modi this Am and after 1 hour experienced fatigue, minor headache, slight discomfort. It’s been about 30 minutes since and feel out of it - not ready to put on

many factors contribute to fatigue. Burn in- used less than 5 hours, the ear pads - had closed back AudioTechnica 199.00 5 years ago and got headaches too. Clear MG are open back but still experience a sealed in feeling from pads.

anyway, is this normal and Will break in time for mg and me make difference? The better amp/dac on order? Switch out the pads?

sorry to ramble

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #326 of 2,150
Hello
Focal Clear MG is my first audiophile headphone. Have jot2 and Bitfrost2 back ordered. In meantime using new modi and magni as amp dac.

Newbie observations..

when listening straight to iPhone, did not experience fatigue or headache. First session with magni/modi this Am and after 1 hour experienced fatigue, minor headache, slight discomfort. It’s been about 30 minutes since and feel out of it - not ready to put on

many factors contribute to fatigue. Burn in- used less than 5 hours, the ear pads - had closed back AudioTechnica 199.00 5 years ago and got headaches too. Clear MG are open back but still experience a sealed in feeling from pads.

anyway, is this normal and Will break in time for mg and me make difference? The better amp/dac on order? Switch out the pads?

sorry to ramble
Are you listening too loud? Could it be fit? They were insanely uncomfortable to me.

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #329 of 2,150
Hi everyone,

I just got the Clear MG and ran some test tones to inspect the quality. The sub-bass region has some reverberations overall, a rattling sound around 30-50hz. And a fluttering sound between 20-40hz.

Playing the 30hz test tone on this page: https://www.demolandia.net/speaker-test/tones/page-1.html and https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones_subwooferharmonicdistortion.php
I get a rattling sound only on my right side. (I didn't observe this with my 400i for example)

This was at a high but comfortable listening volume, so I'm not overextending them.

Is this somewhat expected for these headphones? Do others have perfectly clean sub-bass on test tones? I would expect for the money that these are flawless down low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back