Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Apr 19, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #286 of 2,139
It’s a definite improvement in soundstage. I used the dekoni premium lambskin pads for my 1770. Either way across the board I felt it was an “upgrade”.
I don’t know if you game at all but the first thing I noticed with the mg was the imaging combined with sound stage was so fantastic I was able to pick out uav locations in the sky in call of duty. It’s just a weird thing I noticed is the accuracy of the image was fantastic.
Perfect. :)

I do game, but mostly indie platformers atm, either way, nice to know the imaging and sound stage are improved over the 1770. I'm not 100% sure the MG will be a big enough improvement over my 1770s to warrant the price, maybe there are other headphones that are a better fit for the money, but you've helped massively. Thanks!

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #288 of 2,139
So I've received my specimen. Wasn't too thrilled with how it looked on the web but I must say, in person it looks much, much better.

The veil thing is way overblown if you ask me and by the way, a short unbalanced cable is a godsend.

Apr 20, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #289 of 2,139
I have received the Focal Clear MGs and have had a listen only for a couple of hours, but I think its safe to say they are one of the best looking headphones around. Stunning build quality and design.

At the same time, I need to decide between the following headphones:

HD800S (my daily driver for the last two years)
LCD-X
Arya
Clear MG

I want it to be the MGs because they are just SO gorgeous, and its looking that way as they sound great too but each phone is subtly different and its making a final decision extrememl;y difficult.

I am running from an IFI Pro iDSD

Attachments​

Attachments

• IMG_20210420_073133.jpg
    IMG_20210420_073133.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #290 of 2,139
I have received the Focal Clear MGs and have had a listen only for a couple of hours, but I think its safe to say they are one of the best looking headphones around. Stunning build quality and design.

At the same time, I need to decide between the following headphones:

HD800S (my daily driver for the last two years)
LCD-X
Arya
Clear MG

I want it to be the MGs because they are just SO gorgeous, and its looking that way as they sound great too but each phone is subtly different and its making a final decision extrememl;y difficult.

I am running from an IFI Pro iDSD

Attachments​

If you looking for something to complement HD800S, then Clear MG is the perfect choice. More intimate, fuller body, smoother treble, combine with high energy pace that bring musicality to the top.

If you looking for different driver type to experience something "unique", LCD-X is amazing choice. Beware of the weight on your head though.

Apr 20, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #291 of 2,139
Just got my focal clear mg's.
0nbe8c.png

Initial listening is weird. The right side is louder than the left side. I thought it could have been my ears, so I switched to the stellia and the sound was in fact centered better than the clear mg's. Granted the Clear mg's are brand new, do you guys think it needs burn in to even out?

update, I took the right pad and switched it to the left side and vice versa, now the left side is louder than the right. The pads are not symmetrical lol. The right pad is thinner than the left pad. I've never seen this before, but at least I know it's not the headphones per se. That threw me off lol.

bwfkqr.jpg

The one on the bottom was on the left side, causing the left side to be quieter than the right and vice versa... You would think they check for these things...

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #292 of 2,139
I'm pretty sure this would qualify for a replacement under warranty. Crazy, can't believe those are two stock pads from the same headphone. Saw similar variations between older stock and newer replacement og Clear pads.

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #293 of 2,139
I mean I sent messages to focal, so hopefully they reply. I purchased these from crutchfield (they shipped extremely fast and were the only ones who them in stock). I don't believe they have focal clear mg stock pads to give. You aren't even able to purchase the stock pads at the moment. The ones I've seen for sale are for the professionals only.

Apr 21, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #294 of 2,139
Would it be worth my investing in a 4.4mm Balanced cable for my Focal MGs, or is there no discernible difference from using the existing single ended cable provided or 6,3mm? If so, are there any recommendations, I was just looking at options from customcans.co.uk

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #295 of 2,139
My Eligia runs just fine with 6.3 mm from the HDVA 600, which has the same amp section as your HDVD 820. As I already have a XLR4 to 4.4mm balanced adapter from Forza for the HD660S/HD800S and Sony Z7 /Z1R I will for sure order a 4.4mm terminated cable for the Focal cans to be and to come from Forza. I prefer the build quality of Forzaaudio largely over customcans.uk.

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #296 of 2,139
Thanks, I have enquired with Forza Audio about a balanced cable. Atm I am running from an iFI Pro DSD.

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #297 of 2,139
I use a HPC Noir on the Elegia right now, it was originally meant for my Sony Z7.
20210421_122547.jpg

Very nice quality super soft and absolute no noise from the cable.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #298 of 2,139
Would it be worth my investing in a 4.4mm Balanced cable for my Focal MGs, or is there no discernible difference from using the existing single ended cable provided or 6,3mm? If so, are there any recommendations, I was just looking at options from customcans.co.uk
The answer is totally up to your amplifier, if it real balance then the effect would be great. Never tested HDVD820 though.

In my Questyle set up, balance is noticeably better in all area compare to 6.3mm plug.

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #299 of 2,139
The answer is totally up to your amplifier, if it real balance then the effect would be great. Never tested HDVD820 though.

In my Questyle set up, balance is noticeably better in all area compare to 6.3mm plug.

I am parting with my HDV820, and have moved to a iFI Pro DSD

Apr 21, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #300 of 2,139
So, I just paid 190.00 for the og clear pads from moon audio and 99.00 for the dekoni fenestrated sheep skin pads. Anyone know how they would pair with the mg's? Thanks.

I did contact focal and they told me I would have to wait until late May for replacement ear pads for the Clear Mg's hence the impulse pad purchases.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back