Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Feb 5, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #1,337 of 2,150
@ColSaulTigh -

You also have Utopias and MG's both, correct?

Would you agree with @vonBaron that Utopia pads on MG's make them sound quite similar to Utopia?

Curious if there's any sort of consensus on that as it is a pretty bold finding.

Utopia pads should be the default pads for Clear Mg but I understand why they are not, their sound is now too similar to Utopia and the price is much lower ...

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #1,338 of 2,150
@ColSaulTigh -

You also have Utopias and MG's both, correct?

Would you agree with @vonBaron that Utopia pads on MG's make them sound quite similar to Utopia?

Curious if there's any sort of consensus on that as it is a pretty bold finding.
I do own both, but have not tried swapping the pads yet.

I'm also waiting for my Audiophile Ninja cable to arrive for the MG's, as the factory cable is just crap.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #1,339 of 2,150
I do own both, but have not tried swapping the pads yet.

I'm also waiting for my Audiophile Ninja cable to arrive, as the factory cable is just crap.

If you do try swapping pads at any point be sure to post thoughts as I'm sure you are part of a small minority of people who own both headphones and could actually make that comparison.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #1,340 of 2,150
If you do try swapping pads at any point be sure to post thoughts as I'm sure you are in a small minority group of people who own both headphones and could actually make that comparison.
I should have that new cable shortly and can then make a true A:B comparison. I have an Audio Ninja cable for the Utopias, so there should be no difference aside from the headphones themselves.

Feb 5, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #1,341 of 2,150
I should have that new cable shortly and can then make a true A:B comparison. I have an Audio Ninja cable for the Utopias, so there should be no difference aside from the headphones themselves.

Awesome. If it turns out that this indeed brings them nearer to Utopia sound, then the $250 earpads start to look a little more interesting.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #1,342 of 2,150
Just got Dunu SA6 IEMs and similarity to Clear MG sound signature is stunning, if you are looking for on the go scaled down Clear MG, look no further.
How does the balanced armature bass sound with rock, EDM, and metal music? I had some Shanling IEMs (my first), that I felt had Focal Clear level of detail, and had sold them because I had disliked their timbre. There must be other IEMs at their $500 price point, that outperform in that regard. The SA6, might be one of them.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 10:33 PM Post #1,343 of 2,150
Just buy another set of Utopias and be done with it.
I've thought about that, believe me, but am trying to restrict myself to the price-to-performance "sweet spot" in each of three categories, @~$1000 MSRP.
At the present moment, I am content with the Elear, Ananda and SR-L500 Mk.2.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #1,344 of 2,150
I've thought about that, believe me, but am trying to restrict myself to the price-to-performance "sweet spot" in each of three categories, @~$1000 MSRP.
At the present moment, I am content with the Elear, Ananda and SR-L500 Mk.2.
In that case, pick up a set of Sendy Peacock's like I just did (along with some Sendy Airas)....time to dip my toes into the Planar world...

Feb 5, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #1,345 of 2,150
How does the balanced armature bass sound with rock, EDM, and metal music? I had some Shanling IEMs (my first), that I felt had Focal Clear level of detail, and had sold them because I had disliked their timbre. There must be other IEMs at their $500 price point, that outperform in that regard. The SA6, might be one of them.
Bass is surprisingly impactful for armature drivers, including subbass, just look at crinacle's measurements. But overall they are more on a mellow side, detailed but not ear piercing, just like Clear MG.
BTW, I've seen some on sale here today for a very good price.
SA6-Diff-modes-x-IEF-neutral-768x332.png

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #1,346 of 2,150
Bass is surprisingly impactful for armature drivers, including subbass, just look at crinacle's measurements. But overall they are more on a mellow side, detailed but not ear piercing, just like Clear MG.
BTW, I've seen some on sale here today for a very good price.
SA6-Diff-modes-x-IEF-neutral-768x332.png
Shanling ME700 Lites were more ear piercing than Clear OGs which was the first good headphone I had owned. I had felt the both of them were, "technical" and "fatiguing" and not "warm", or "lush"; the timbre seemed off. Really tight and detailed bass though from 10 mm dynamic drivers once I had a good seal, that had put my LCD-Xs to shame. Finding a good fit was quite fussy for me, and I had ended up with Final Audio E tips (the only ones that hadn't hurt or itched). My local retailer had loaned out their demo Clear Mgs, I won't get to hear them until next week. But, they had me audition Utopias instead! What imaging and resolution! I wish they hadn't done that, I feel like nothing else will measure up now.

Not sure if I'm going to get IEMs again; imaging, soundstage, and timbre, had been lousy on my first pair, but I probably had just picked something that was not implemented well, and there's better choices at their price point. I may very well end up with Clear MGs and Dunu SA6s. Very impressed that you can get Focal Clear levels of resolution for $500 with IEMs. Noticeably better than LCD-X 2021s.

Feb 6, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #1,348 of 2,150
How do the Focal Clear MG compare to Hifiman Arya Stealth. Does anyone here own both?
If you do or have, can you please in comparison explain sound quality of both? And which you prefer?
Not Arya owner, H6SE, and planars are eating Focal for breakfast, Arya should not be far away.

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #1,349 of 2,150
In that case, pick up a set of Sendy Peacock's like I just did (along with some Sendy Airas)....time to dip my toes into the Planar world...
Might make that move, but it looks like my next ascent will probably be along the Stax line--or maybe a return to the HEDDphone.
Will strive for a more patient approach this time around, keep the inventory manageable and derive as much enjoyment and knowledge as possible from each offering.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #1,350 of 2,150
Not Arya owner, H6SE, and planars are eating Focal for breakfast, Arya should not be far away.

Something I find unique to some planars like HE6SE V2 is the total black backround in which the sound originates from. Must have something with the speed of planar drivers or their technology or something else but there is this inky black background quality to the sound which is really nice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back